SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im ready to pull the trigger on 309s but got confused last night. Ive looked at threads here of course and found one last night where SOME of you guys bought yours from HHP.

Until last night i was under the impression that the 309 diff was going to cost about $1500. Then looking at HHP fornthe first time they have it listed at $949. Then found a thread where they 'use' to offer the demon 309 but its a dead link now too it.

Sooooo are all the 309 diffs the same in structural integrity and case strength or not?? Why the huge price difference from HHP and every OTHER PLACE that has the mopar 309 diff??

Just want to be sure i get the right diff for my WB Redeye. Also seen a post where one guy said he changed the seals with the new 309 diff?? First ive read of that, is that a requirement or no?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,420 Posts
The Redeye and Demon 3.09s are stronger than the standard 3.09s used in the 392 cars. That being said, the 3.09s used in the 392 cars seem to be equally as strong as the 2.62s used in the Hellcat. Breaking the actual gear set in these cars is really rare, breaking the diff housing is only slightly more common but a diff brace helps tremendously with that.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So with that being said 'how' do you know what one your buying? Obviously i prefer to have the demon-redeye version if it is indeed stronger.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,420 Posts
So with that being said 'how' do you know what one your buying? Obviously i prefer to have the demon-redeye version if it is indeed stronger.
If price were the same, I would agree, go with the stronger. If the price is significant, the standard 3.09s work just fine and are quite durable.

Reactions: 2fast4u and hpindy

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,263 Posts
If price were the same, I would agree, go with the stronger. If the price is significant, the standard 3.09s work just fine and are quite durable.
I agree with Blkout on this.

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,036 Posts
I'm not sure that you would be able to buy the Demon 309 gears now without a vin.
My thought is we saw Demon Diff boxes break.
Best thing you can do is spend the difference on a Per4mance Diff brace. Because whether I had Demon 309s or Hellcat 309s the Diff Brave is the most Peace of mind part that is installed.
Cause breaking the diff it can take out your half shaft or drive shaft.
And yes I was first to break a Half shaft but it was the diff that broke.

Linda :)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
5,814 Posts
So the Demon/Redeye rears have two different part numbers?

I'm showing a 68427799AA and also showing a 68375497AA and AB.

Both of these correct?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: dragrcr

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yea diff brace is a given, as i will visit test n tune weekend's this fall.

Juat want to be sure i get the right diff to start with. With the differnt pricing AND the fact that HHP DID advertise a demon 309 at one point has me questioning whats for sale now ... maybe im being over anxious but i want to avoid dumb mistakes.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the Demon/Redeye rears have two different part numbers?

I'm showing a 68427799AA and also showing a 68375497AA and AB.

Both of these correct?

Would that be 262 vs 309 ?

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,036 Posts
I have the original Scatpak 309 gears which are used for the Hellcat. ( Had 1st ever 309 gears installed into a HC Charger a surprise gift from my husband:)
It's the Diff brace I drag race 903 RWHP.

I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
5,814 Posts
Well damn, wonder why 2 different numbers then ?
I'm thinking the second number is a Redeye number with the SRT logo and the B version has the logo deleted but not sure.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any thoughts on HHP being like $600 bucks cheaper than every other place? Seems like a hell of a price....

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
5,814 Posts
Any thoughts on HHP being like $600 bucks cheaper than every other place? Seems like a hell of a price....
Scat Pack 3.09.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the places that are all about 1500 would be the redeye-demon one then i assume ?

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,036 Posts
Well here is something that you know
HHP is an actual MOPAR Performance Dealer, something that is extremely hard to become. Most other sites aren't.

I would call sales @ 18888941115
And talk to them about your concerns.

Tracks are starting to open and you want to ready for All The Fasssst Fun!😎

·
Registered
101 Posts
My understanding is that the cheaper diff is the scat diff. The demon and redeye differential cases are made from a stronger aluminum alloy AND the ring gear is welded to the carrier. One part number is the demon, and requires a vin, and the other is the redeye. Other than that, they are mechanically identical.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
265 Posts
I'm thinking the second number is a Redeye number with the SRT logo and the B version has the logo deleted but not sure.

This is right.

Reactions: 2fast4u
1 - 20 of 40 Posts