SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, if you made a custom wheel would 345s go on the FRONT of a Challenger Hellcat Widebody with no rub, and still under the fender?

Others have gotten close....this thread lists a 335 front / 345 rear setup, so that's possible without the dreaded rubbing. I'd prefer a square setup though....not so much for being able to rotate the tires but because having experienced square and not square setups I like the feel of the square setup a little better.

Tire choice is another challenge....looking at Tire Rack for reference...
  • 315/35-20s are available all day long (36 to choose from)
  • 325/35-20 there's only one tire
  • 325/30-20 there's 4 choices
  • 335/35-20 doesn't exist!
  • 335/30-20 there's 3 choices
  • 345/30-20 there's only 1 choice
This site is also pretty handy as it shows in a nice table for how revs per mile change with size off your baseline....and it highlights the "common" sizes for you too. So on that site 315/35-20 is also the next wider common size. We also know from this thread that 315/35-20 will also go all round on the stock wheels, no problem.

Last thought is...would you necessarily WANT to go that wide on the front? As contact patch area increases with width, pressure decreases and you start getting into friction tradeoffs (same weight per corner pushing down on the tire but more area may or may not result in more friction and more cornering force depending on a whole bunch of factors like tire compound). Just 'cause you COULD go that wide up front does not necessarily mean you SHOULD go that wide up front. Wide fronts are also more of a PITA to get the alignment right too.

All thoughts welcome!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,551 Posts
Pretty sure Wesley ran the ACR rear tires on all 4s with 19in wheels. 355 IIRC.
Heck, I run a 305/35 on a 10.5 in wheel on the front of my NB. I would for sure run at least a 12in wheel on the front and a 345 if there was a competitive compound available.
Just did a quick look and the Toyo RR is available in a 325/30/20. I'd run that with a 12in wheel on a road course. That tire is pretty quick and the diameter is still good vs. stock size.
With a little more work Wesley should be able to help you find 19in wheels that would work with our front calipers. Once you have those wheels there is a 345/30/19 RR. 😎

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,052 Posts
My simpleton self has messaged several tire manufacturers regarding what is involved in developing a new tire. Not a new compound but just a wider tire. I spent FOREVER trying to figure out a good solution to not lose stopping power but run 18s on all 4 corners. All of the solutions were pretty expensive for this enlisted man. But I like a good rake, I enjoy gardening too. But I also like having a good amount of sidewall. I was unsuccessful. I'm sure there would be a decent enough market among serious drag racers that if someone made a 345/40-45r20 that it would be profitable.

Reactions: BigDaddyEureka

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,400 Posts
The 345/30-19 will work in the front. The 345/30-20 will not. I tried mine that are on the same 12” wide wheels (use them in back) that have 325/30-20’s on the fronts. The problem is the tire is too tall and hits the liners when turning. The 19’s are an inch shorter than the 20’s.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,400 Posts
Even if they fit, seems to me a tire that wide would find every imperfection in the road and have you weaving all over the place. Not fun IMO.
You would think so. I have been driving with some 325/30’s in the front now and the real big ones out back and it does not tram line at all yet.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
136 Posts
My '19 has the 335 front and 345 rear Michelin on it on 20x12 wheels. Drives fine. Doesn't rub anywhere.
The wheel offsets are a bit different front to rear though. I traded for them and do not know the offset of either wheel.

·
Vendor
Charger SRT Hellcat
308 Posts
Two more cents here. We did the setup for car pictured below. It has 345/30-20 on all corners. Like DGatzby said, customer confirmed slight rub on frontal plastic liner at full lock. Perhaps this is not a setup to run under extreme stresses of the track; but if Trackday gets a widebody that will change, cause he pushes the limits more than us. Hahaha.

Happy Friday y'all.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could one rig some type of steering stop to prevent those 345s from touching the inner fender? You'd give up a tiny amount of turning circle, but in 99% of applications it wouldn't matter...hmm...:unsure:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Apparently steering stops are a thing on other cars....for instance, this is a kit Rouch makes for Mustangs so that 20" wheels don't hit the inner fender liner. This basically restricts the throw of the rack earlier in the travel...

The other way is to attach a thing onto the steering arm itself that bangs into the body or frame to restrict full travel.

Haven't seen these in the Challenger or Charger space yet. Anyone using them?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts