SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These jokers have 3 WBRE's listed at $125k... Who in their right mind would pay that kind of a price?
I actually called and talked to one of the salesman because I was just dying to hear their reasoning for pricing them that high. In his own words, "It's all about supply and demand". I guess that he was ignorant to the fact that no one in a 300mi radius is selling them for over $89k. :ROFLMAO:

Want a $125k RE?

·
Registered
562 Posts
It is getting stupid out there for sure... Boat prices are doing the same thing. Not many times in my life has my timing been good but we bought our new to us boat three years ago before the used boat market went crazy and we bought our new HC at the height of COVID and got a reasonable deal.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still don't get it; especially nowadays with online sales and being able to get the best deal possible. This reminds me of when the first Lancer Evolutions came to the US. Dealers were taking a car with a mid $40k MSRP and hiking the prices up close to double the sticker in some places.
I worked at a Mitsu dealership that did just this, and their reasoning was that someone was desperate enough to have an Evo that they would pay.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,542 Posts
The salesman's response was to be expected. Everything a car salesman says to you is 1) Intended to get you to buy ASAP and 2) Pay as much as possible.

Price is not fact only an opinion. The dealer's opinion is the car is worth what he's asking for it.

If you are a car shopper you are entitled to your own opinion.

My car buying process/technique has me pretty much ignoring any price attached to the vehicle. I rely upon my research to give me some idea of the market and what I can buy the car for. I don't care if the sticker has a $1M mark up. My numbers are what I go by. And often that is what I get the vehicle for, or at least close to it.

'course, I have not attempted to buy a "halo" car with a big mark up. The dealer might be willing to hold out for a customer who if he doesn't pay full mark up pays at least more than I would be willing to pay.

The big markup is mainly aimed at the buyers or prospective buyers of lesser vehicles. A prospective customer comes in and sees the big price on the WBREs and in some way feels "good" (or less bad) about what he's paying for a lesser model of car.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,075 Posts
Supply and demand. Unfortunately, there are idiots that pay high prices every day for things. If there wasn't a market, they wouldn't do it. So if they can keep ripping people off, why not???????

·
Registered
346 Posts
If someone voluntarily agrees to pay a dollar amount for a good or service they're not getting ripped off.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,859 Posts
Manufacturing stoppage hasnt helped the cause. Supply is down. Brace yourself for more like this.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I still don't get it; especially nowadays with online sales and being able to get the best deal possible. This reminds me of when the first Lancer Evolutions came to the US. Dealers were taking a car with a mid $40k MSRP and hiking the prices up close to double the sticker in some places.
I worked at a Mitsu dealership that did just this, and their reasoning was that someone was desperate enough to have an Evo that they would pay.
Often it is the Special Cash Buyers who may be in a place where price is not much of an object. Also, watching people buy them then have them already re-sold before they get off the lot must get old, literally the first time it happens to a dealer.

I don't like it, but I don't blame them. Try buying an MSRP 470 dollar video card right now. See what they go for on Ebay.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
924 Posts
These jokers have 3 WBRE's listed at $125k... Who in their right mind would pay that kind of a price?
I actually called and talked to one of the salesman because I was just dying to hear their reasoning for pricing them that high. In his own words, "It's all about supply and demand". I guess that he was ignorant to the fact that no one in a 300mi radius is selling them for over $89k. :ROFLMAO:

Want a $125k RE?
Somebody will negotiate down to 5000 over MSRP and feel like they got a hell of a deal!!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
879 Posts
I feel the need to remind you guys that we are a very special, small breed of human. That is the knowledgeable, ate up car guy type of people. 90% of car buyers are not. Only about half of new car buyers have even researched the car they end up buying. While we know how to source a build from a dealer or go to one of the nationwide megastores like Koons, 90% of people that go into that dealership will see a Hellcat for the very first time in person, right there. Eventually, someone with more money than sense might buy it, but realistically, that dealership isn't trying to sell them right now. They'll gladly sell it at 50k markup, but they're being used as showroom queens to draw traffic to whatever is sitting beside them in the showroom.

Back in 2007 when I was working at a large Ford dealership in Denver, we had one of the new Ford GTs on the showroom for about a year. That car sold us a lot of Cobras and Mustang GTs.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,542 Posts
Somebody will negotiate down to 5000 over MSRP and feel like they got a hell of a deal!!
Exactly. The advice on buying a car is start your negotiation from what the dealer has in the car and if necessary -- and it will be necessary about 99.999% of the time -- raise your offer.

One does not should not start from the MSRP and try to negotiate down. And this goes double if there is an ADM tacked on.

·
Vehicle Ordering Coordinator
64 Posts

Want a $125k RE?
Yeaaaa... Why do this when you can order one from me for 4% below INVOICE!?!?

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody Indigo Blue with Graphics Package
1,309 Posts
Yeah, I got 16k off sticker on my 2020 REWB

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,859 Posts
Yeah, I got 16k off sticker on my 2020 REWB
Very different times in 2020. Dealers were givng them away and no chip shortage. I got 18k off on my ‘20 REWB. Things are vastly different now. We could actually sell our cars for what we paid right now. There’s a for sale thread I just saw, I think it was here, guy wants $10k more than I paid when I ordered mine new (loaded 2020) for his used 2019. Crazy times.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My 2019 Challenger HC RE WB stickered at $97,400 and I got it for $74,900, plus $5K state tax in late November 2019. The markup on new Hellcats is indeed infuriating. However, take comfort in the fact that the Hollywood elite, top professional athletes, and hedge fund millionaires pay way bigger markups on exotic cars. Those buyers have no idea what the cars really cost. The boutique dealers that sell those cars mark them up 25%, and they pay it.

Someone mentioned the Ford GT. I saw a new one in the local Ford dealership, in 2006 I believe, selling for MSRP of $156K. Wish I would have bought it. They go for 4 times that amount now. Oh well.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
1,004 Posts
Someone mentioned the Ford GT. I saw a new one in the local Ford dealership, in 2006 I believe, selling for MSRP of $156K. Wish I would have bought it. They go for 4 times that amount now. Oh well.
I remember my local dealer having one too and the guy said they couldn't sell it and it'd been sitting there for like a year. It was $130 or $140k or whatever, but man those sell for like 3-4 times that now. CRAZY

1 - 20 of 23 Posts