SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been compiling everything I would like to do to my 17 Challenger and par for the course my particular tastes are next to all novel for this car. It seems like you lose about 9 ft of distance when braking from 60 with the 4 piston brembos, or baer I don't care. I'm just really wanting to make this car my own and was wondering what you wiser and more knowledgeable gentlemen have to say about the idea of putting 4 piston calipers on the front to fit 18s up there. Thanks! Cheers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Since I don't know exactly what your plans are for your car only what you asked as far as changing your caliper size ,which would also mean decreasing your rotor size,in order to fit a set of wheels. Given the amount of power that these cars make I would not and i repeat would not switch to smaller 4 piston caliper and subsequent smaller rotors. Remember 75 to 80 percent of your breaking is upfront and a majority of your weight is up there to. You Should have, want, and you need the maximum amount of force that you can use to whoa this car down.I know you said that the braking distance you will lose is about 9 feet but given A certain situation that 9 feet could be the difference between a close call and a catastrophe. Do not and I repeat do not ever skip on brakes just for fitment of a wheel or anything for that matter. With the amount of power that these rascals make it's just not safe.

·
Premium Member
7,931 Posts
AND the published distances are tough to match, unless everything is perfect (just like attempting to get the published acceleration), otherwise the stopping distances are even greater, and will be even greater with smaller brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts
AND the published distances are tough to match, unless everything is perfect (just like attempting to get the published acceleration), otherwise the stopping distances are even greater, and will be even greater with smaller brakes.
And try repeating this 4-5 times with your smaller rotors.

IMHO. can't skimp on brakes. They could easily be the difference in a moment of need.

Be safe...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think the answer would depend on what you might want to do with the car beyond street driving - do you want to drag race it or take it to track days?
- If you push the brake pedal hard enough to trigger the ABS brakes then you are at the limit of traction on that road with those tires, and bigger brakes will not stop you faster - but better tires may. Per Motor Authority, a Demon can outbrake a Viper ACR from 60mph due to the stickier tires - 97 feet vs. 101 feet.
- Bigger brakes are really designed for better fade resistance - the ability to absorb more heat energy from repeated stops without the brake fluid boiling or brake pads catching fire for example.
- The Demon comes with 18" wheels and smaller front brakes (14.2") than the Hellcat (15.4"), as it is not designed or intended for driving around a race track. Stopping once every few minutes from 130-140 mph at the end of a 1/4 mile track will not lead to fade issues in the way that driving on a race circuit will.
- When it was launched, one goal of the Hellcat was to be able to run a 20 minute lapping session on a track without engine or brakes overheating, and the bigger Brembo brakes give better cooling and fade resistance for repeated stops from high speed.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
What is the overarching reason for wanting the smaller wheels? Since the Charger HC can generally turn in 103 foot stops on nice clean well prepped asphalt changing that set up will mean adding significant length to your stopping distance. From 60 I'm seeing consistent 132-135s on dusty state highway asphalt with large aggregate content. Not bad for around 5000 pounds. I'm not sure additional choice in wheels or whatever is worth taking one of the greatest attributes of the car and tossing it out the window. You'll get torched on resale too.

LR

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
I have 6 piston Baer with 14" rotors on another project with 18" wheels front and rear. You don't need to skimp on brakes to use 18's. Its the rotor size that's limited by the 18" wheel.

Those monoblocks are real nice.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Red_Cat nailed it. Stopping is more about the tires, the weight of the vehicle, and the conditions of the road in front of you.

Unless you're road racing, smaller brakes will be basically unnoticeable. If they don't feel as "bitey" go with a more aggressive pad... You'll be fine.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have 6 piston Baer with 14" rotors on another project with 18" wheels front and rear. You don't need to skimp on brakes to use 18's. Its the rotor size that's limited by the 18" wheel.

Those monoblocks are real nice.
Baer is exactly who I have been looking at. I am looking ahead to my final build and it's looking like at $20k, both performance wise and cosmeticly will get this car to be EXACTLY mine. The way I would have designed it from the get go if I could have. That price includes things like wheels and tires all the way to a custom vinyl wrap and maybe the 2018 headlights. I am not looking for cheaper brakes, just smaller in diameter as to accommodate 18x11s in the rear, and maybe also in the front.

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts
Baer is exactly who I have been looking at. I am looking ahead to my final build and it's looking like at $20k, both performance wise and cosmeticly will get this car to be EXACTLY mine. The way I would have designed it from the get go if I could have. That price includes things like wheels and tires all the way to a custom vinyl wrap and maybe the 2018 headlights. I am not looking for cheaper brakes, just smaller in diameter as to accommodate 18x11s in the rear, and maybe also in the front.
Certainly sounds like you're thinking this through :cool:

Can't wait to see 'your' Hellcat...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts