SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed to get my cat in the am and was wondering the best way to break it in on the drive home. Probably about 300 miles will be open interstate. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,103 Posts
Headed to get my cat in the am and was wondering the best way to break it in on the drive home. Probably about 300 miles will be open interstate. Suggestions?
Vary the mph and don't go above 4000 rpm if you can help it. Keep it under 55-60mph if you can

·
Have Guns Will Travel
2019 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye - 2015 Challenger Hellcat
6,650 Posts
Black key will make it easier to keep it under 55. Red or black it's not easy. :)

·
Left Shark
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,141 Posts
I'd probably pick some non-interstate roads for the first 300 miles. Slower mph, more stop signs and lights, more variation of rpms and load. Then hit the interstate but keep the load varied.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,163 Posts
i had a 350 mile drive home

i kept it at 500 hp since it was raining

i shifted between 6,7,8 every 5 mins or so

i went 55-80mph

i think the biggest thing is just to get the rpms to vary........i dont think the under 55mph is nearly as important

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,084 Posts
Everybody has there ways, all good for me 250mi so far and I have had the car to 120 a few times and rpms over 5 some times, 60-70 mph and dropping from 6th to 4th and gassing it not quite to the floor yet.

I think the motor needs a bit of slow, med, and some stomping to get use to what your going to put her thru. I wait till 500mi before i let rpms get to 6 for evey gear. That is for later. I broke in my 392 2014 Core the same way, just saying.;)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,211 Posts
Just keep he rpms down and vary it a bit. if you have lots of interstate freeway driving, every so often, take one of the exits, drive around in the city for 5-10 minutes too. Stop the car let her idle for 1-2 minutes, then shut it off.
Start her back up in a minute or two and head back to freeway.
Adds a bit of time to the drive, but you are breaking her in, so it's worth it.

On a side note. Supposedly 6200 rpm are the rev limiter, and the peak power is 6000 rpm.
My Hellcat, which doesn't even have 500 miles on her yet, has the redline starting at 5750 on the tach.
What's up with that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.