SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m have the Scat WideBody which uses the HC brakes... I noticed on the fronts the brakes are slotted but only in 3 places and the slots are small what is the reason for this?
My rear rotors have more slots that are longer/deeper like on my 4 pistons I had on my last Scat.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Lots of speculation about this. Some say it was to reduce brake dust. I'm not buying that. I'm super sure it has everything to do with cost.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Slots are there to supposedly wipe away spent friction from the disc pad surface created during a stopping event leaving good, unspent friction to better stop the car. Some would argue there is no performance advantage to slots. Slots can also act like "cheese graders" to the friction material if the slots have sharp perpendicular edges to them. Actually, less slots are better for the life of the pads... really!

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
They eliminated most of the slots for 2019, even the new service replacement rotors will be this way now.

Possible that 2020 could be different, here's what looks like a different rotor on the the Scat Pack Charger WB than used on Hellcat.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True on my 17 Charger Scat I think it was a bit more slotted can’t really remember now...
I’m strictly going for a look so when it’s time to replace I am going to probably do cross drilled with all the holes... just looks nicer to me.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Slots are to dissipate gases created between the pad and the rotor during extreme braking which allow for more effective clamping on the rotor, think of a tire hydroplaning on water, a disk can hydroplane on gases like a air hockey puck.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Right, so why did they eliminate most of the slots on the 2019 rotors?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right, so why did they eliminate most of the slots on the 2019 rotors?

This is true. If you look at the 18 Scat the rotors looked more aggressive even got to Dodge Instagram account and view the Scat WB you see in those photos the rotors look way more aggressive...

coz 2019’s don’t go fast enough to need them?? :)
We all know 16 was the slowest year made across all models;)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I think all that stuff about allowing a path for gases between the pad and rotor to escape is no longer applicable to modern high performance pads. The slots can help in the rain when the pads and rotor are below vaporization temperature for water I suppose.
And yes, I bet removal of the slots was done for cost with no detriment to performance.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
With the new GT500 release, I noticed they don’t have slots at all. Just smooth rotors on a Brembo 6 piston setup.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
With the new GT500 release, I noticed they don’t have slots at all. Just smooth rotors on a Brembo 6 piston setup.
Yeh, rotors that are 1" in diameter larger than ours in the front and with huge calipers, even though the car is about 200 lbs less than ours. I'm itching to see some brake testing numbers off this car, especially from high speeds.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Yeh, rotors that are 1" in diameter larger than ours in the front and with huge calipers, even though the car is about 200 lbs less than ours. I'm itching to see some brake testing numbers off this car, especially from high speeds.
I’ve read the new GT500 will do 0-100-0 in 10.6 seconds. Not too shabby.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I slammed on my brakes this morning after almost colliding with this car... boy was I hot then I smiled and said thx for the 6 piston Brembos

1 - 15 of 15 Posts