SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Over the past six months I learned a lot about adjusting these AAD Performance products - the rear components and the front upper control arms. I decided to write up what I was learning for my own reference purposes, also thinking it would be appreciated by anyone who ever buys my car. I wound up adding specific DIY alignment value/tab prediction change examples for street, drag strip and road course tuning. As I was fleshing the information out I thought why not share it? I realize my effort here could be seen as presumptuous given my novice mechanic skills. Then again, the whole point of explaining what these parts are and how they work really is that novice mechanics can do at home suspension adjustments and shouldn't be afraid they can't.

I've entitled my free PDF file "AAD Performance Adjustable Suspension Parts Overview - 03/13/2021". Any future revisions will have the same title and a later date.

Parker Bender at AAD didn't object to the idea of me sharing what I've learned so I'm forging ahead. It is important to me that people understand any errors, omissions, or loss of useful consciousness wading through it are my responsibility. AAD Performance has not officially reviewed, or approved, of what I'm putting out about their products or how to adjust them. Also, the very first thing I say is, "Use the following information at your own risk". That is the way of the world these days. On the other hand I didn't just make the information up and I feel confident in everything I've learned - with the exception of the section "Experimental Changing Camber and Caster Simultaneously, Changing Caster Alone", where I need more personal real world experience and/or verification data from AAD.

For people like me new to suspension concepts and parts I've included basic handling concepts and part descriptions. I'm intentionally redundant in the various sections so people don't have to jump back and forth to refresh concepts or terminology. As a result it wound up a 26 page PDF document (with some graphics and pictures in my defense). Here is the list of sections.

Suspension Concepts and Terms
AAD Suspension Parts and Terminology
The AAD “Tab-Lock” Adjustable Arm System Big Picture
Available AAD Tabs - Specifically How to Identify Them
The “Real Time” Align After Part Installation
DIY - How to Choose Tabs to Change Alignment Values After a Baseline Shoot
The Rules - Alignment Effects Per Millimeter of Tab Change
DIY Examples to Change Alignment Values With Tabs
Experimental Changing Camber and Caster Simultaneously, Changing Caster Alone

Send me an email at [email protected] and I'll send you the PDF. Free, no strings attached, and I won't share your email. I'm offering this via email rather than uploading it onto the forum (for download) so I can keep a record of who received it and be able to send out revisions and updates. Feel free to share my email, rather than just pass the PDF around, so other interested people can contact me to be added to a revision list.

And, of course, if you check out the Overview and then decide you don't need/want any future revisions just send me an email saying so.

Best,

Finface

·
Registered
2,844 Posts

Updates are posted right here. Not sure why harvesting emails is a necessary part of the process.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Updates are posted right here. Not sure why harvesting emails is a necessary part of the process.
Hello Himmelkat,

It's a fair question. I like your forum handle - translates from German to Skycat.

I'm announcing the availability of my AAD Overview on other Challenger forums (and will sign up for some Charger forums soon). I am confident of the prediction formulas for front and rear camber and rear toe because AAD gave me the tab change values, plus I've done two tab swaps myself and seen close to expected results, but there is a last section I've labeled "Experimental" that discusses preliminary findings for changing front camber and caster simultaneously, and changing just caster leaving camber unchanged. I may be headed for shoulder surgery in May that would delay my own opportunity to test the relationship between asymmetric tabs in the front upper control arm fore and aft components. I'm hoping some curious tuners will play with this a bit and let me know what they're seeing. AAD may be able to validate this particular opportunity in the future, but right now they are getting lots of orders (as are many aftermarket suppliers I've been told). If people have corresponded with me I'm hoping they will let me know what they find. The best way for that to happen is for them to have my email address and already had an exchange.

So I fully expect I'll be updating that section this fall. Having emails for people I've sent the PDF to also ensures I can correct, or amplify, any mistaken information. It's just the way I want to do it - and I think a service to those who want it. They don't have to search for updates - an update will come to them.

I know that sending out PDF files means I'm losing control of the material. I've asked people not to pass the file along to other interested people - to instead ask their friends to send me a request via email so they can also be added to the update list. Some will, some won't. Somebody might take it upon themselves to upload the file to a forum. I'd prefer they don't for the reasons I've mentioned, but I'm giving it away and I wouldn't complain much. Probably just tag on a reply saying that I'm not going to post updates on any forums.

I'm just a recently retired Challenger owner who bought these parts last summer and had them installed in September and then adjusted the parts a couple of times while doing HPDE. I saw a need for a comprehensive document for beginners like me so I wrote one up. I'm not selling anything, although I'm a fan of these suspension parts and I also like to see entrepreneurial capitalism succeed in a small enterprise like AAD Performance.

No email addresses will be shared by me, that's a promise.

Best,

Finface

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
147 Posts
I think this could actually be pretty interesting.
I have the ADD front upper control arms on mine, wouldn't mind getting additional info on them. (y)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think this could actually be pretty interesting.
I have the ADD front upper control arms on mine, wouldn't mind getting additional info on them. (y)
As of this morning eleven people have sent me emails asking for the Overview. Some have the parts, some are considering getting the parts.

Just send me one with AAD in the subject line at [email protected] if you want a copy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My curiosity is piqued. So how are you verifying the tab change in alignment values? Simple home tools, at-home alignment kit, general laser alignment, or custom alignment shop?

Also, what spring/strut/coilover setup are you running? Many use a fender-to-ground measurement but fender-to-wheel center is more accurate as it removes any differences from tire diameter and pressure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My curiosity is piqued. So how are you verifying the tab change in alignment values? Simple home tools, at-home alignment kit, general laser alignment, or custom alignment shop?

The first post part install alignment was done by the Dodge dealership who installed the parts. I tried to sharpshoot camber by inserting different tabs than AAD shipped them with. I gave the SRT trained tech the values I wanted and he discovered my guess wasn't where I'd hoped - and he put in the tabs that got me my desired values. He was unfamiliar with the tabs and told me it was something of a struggle. He left the dealership the day after he did the work for me so I couldn't get any feedback about his experience.

The second and third alignments, the ones after I swapped out tabs at home, were done on a new Hunter machine at a newly opened Tire Discounters near me (so, laser gizmos on the wheels - pretty fancy). I signed up for "unlimited" alignments for a five year period for about the price of two alignments, which sounded too good to be true. The fine print does have some possible exclusions, but the local manager assured me he really meant unlimited. TD also has a "free alignment" offer so you could go there and get that and then pass on any front toe alignment you might care to tweak - so indeed free. With those specs in hand you could go home and swap tabs and then go back and pay for another check with a toe alignment.

Also, what spring/strut/coilover setup are you running?

Stock 2019 Hellcat Red Eye Wide Body.

Many use a fender-to-ground measurement but fender-to-wheel center is more accurate as it removes any differences from tire diameter and pressure.

Judging by your question and your cool road course photo I'm confident your knowledge of what you say about accuracy is way more than mine. If you haven't already send me an email please do so and I'll send you the Overview PDF. I would be interested in your thoughts. I know someone who has a home alignment kit and he saves himself fees and drive time accurately measuring values in his garage.

Best,

Finface

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've been thinking of adding these to my car mainly so I can dial in the alignment that I want but am concerned with NVH being they are spherical and poly bushings. Can you advise on the sound differences inside the car and also how much tighter the car feels? I just did a complete overhaul on my Roush with all poly bushings and while I love the feel of the car the drone inside from the road drives me a bit crazy. As such I think I'm going to swap back in some rubber bushings on the diff and front control arms.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been thinking of adding these to my car mainly so I can dial in the alignment that I want but am concerned with NVH being they are spherical and poly bushings. Can you advise on the sound differences inside the car and also how much tighter the car feels? I just did a complete overhaul on my Roush with all poly bushings and while I love the feel of the car the drone inside from the road drives me a bit crazy. As such I think I'm going to swap back in some rubber bushings on the diff and front control arms.
Frosty,

Regarding NVH and the effect of spherical and/or poly bushings on it - I don't feel qualified to comment.

I had my stock rear cradle bushings replaced with Whiteline's polyethylene rear cradle bushings at the same time I had my dealership install the AAD parts (they had a bushing press machine). They are the only bushings I've changed other than the spherical ones that came in my AAD front upper control arms. I like the ride and feel results of these two simultaneous changes, and my car seems just as quiet as before, but mine are subjective conclusions. Like just about everybody who owns a Challenger I hear a slight differential "whine" around 45 mph.

Here is what AAD says on their website about their front upper control arms;

"We also use more rigid inboard bushings (90A polyurethane) or our new Patent Pending Spheriflex teflon impregnated Delrin spherical bushings to reduce or eliminate the slop in the OEM parts."

I think AAD will be updating this sentence because they are now only making this part with the Spheriflex teflon bearing (they like it so much). And I see we can no longer select the 90A polyurethane option from the webpage's drop down menu. It used to be a cost increase for the Spheriflex bushing over the polyurethane bushing.

Sorry I can't be more specific about before and after NVH other than to say I didn't notice a noise change from stock.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Frosty,
I put the full drag pack from AAD on my 2020 Redeye and notice no difference what so ever in road noise. Handling and straight launching is improved tremendously, though. I can't recommend the change enough. Every time I read about the differences the DSC Active suspension controller makes from a post, I think of how much better the AAD arms made things on my car. I'm looking forward to stacking the two benefits. Its hard to believe it can get much better than the AAD arms has made the suspension. I'm guessing the drive predictability due to lack of flex with the arms and the better, smarter controller for the shocks/ struts will be a wonderful thing to enjoy in these cars.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,345 Posts
Frosty,
I put the full drag pack from AAD on my 2020 Redeye and notice no difference what so ever in road noise. Handling and straight launching is improved tremendously, though. I can't recommend the change enough. Every time I read about the differences the DSC Active suspension controller makes from a post, I think of how much better the AAD arms made things on my car. I'm looking forward to stacking the two benefits. Its hard to believe it can get much better than the AAD arms has made the suspension. I'm guessing the drive predictability due to lack of flex with the arms and the better, smarter controller for the shocks/ struts will be a wonderful thing to enjoy in these cars.
I have both of those options installed and all I will say is I cannot wait to see the new lap times. We shall see in a couple of weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts