SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Charger SRT 392
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for an answer but most of the posts that came up were old. I will be driving in the south so temperature is hardly a concern for 95%of my driving. Getting a RE Charger and wonder if it is worth getting the optional tires or will they give much of a difference in traction or will the car simply overwhelm most any tire so I would be better off saving the cash to put towards the next set of tires when they wear out.

· Registered
2,527 Posts
As far as traction goes none of the factory tire choices hook up, you’ll need a DR period but that’s after the fact. IMHO the all seasons sipes pickup and hold rocks all the time and it looks like s***! for that reason alone my preference would be the summers when ordering

· Registered
More round than tall
791 Posts
Had the same dilemma. I reverted to the thought of, i will use the OEM tire to learn the car’s capabilities by slowly and methodically approaching limits of said capabilities. Not going to just jump in and hammer it while going up a twisty mountain road.

by the time i am confident of my abilities to take full advantage of the car, i’ll be ready to spring for a new / the right set of tires.

· Registered
423 Posts
I searched for an answer but most of the posts that came up were old. I will be driving in the south so temperature is hardly a concern for 95%of my driving. Getting a RE Charger and wonder if it is worth getting the optional tires or will they give much of a difference in traction or will the car simply overwhelm most any tire so I would be better off saving the cash to put towards the next set of tires when they wear out.
It's not that the optional summer tires aren't better than the standard all-season--they are. It's that the cost of upgrading to the optional tires isn't worth the moderate benefits gained. Drive/enjoy/burn-up the all-season tires now, then buy drag-radials later.

· Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
3,225 Posts
My 2018 Hellcat came with all season tires. Where I lived -- in northern CA in the Livermore CA area -- weather conditions simply didn't justify all season tires. Previous cars, high performance sports cars, were all fitted with high performance tires and the extra grip and better road manners were very much appreciated.

Had I kept the Hellcat I would have had high performance tires installed when the factory all season tires wore out. I'm too "cheap" to toss good tires even if they are all season tires.

But I got rid of the Hellcat before it needed a set of tires.

The replacement a 2020 Scat Pack came with high performance tires. These -- among other factors -- make the Scat Pack a better steer than the Hellcat.

My opinion is given where you live and drive I'd recommend you opt for the high performance tires. The all seasons simply aren't up to the job. The high performance tires won't grip like F1 race tires either, but they'll be better much better than the all seasons.

· Registered
'23 Redeye Jailbreak
5,010 Posts
Both Pirelli tires suck. The AS Pirellis are cheaper. So go with those. Most of us, me included, replaced those tires within the first 1,000mi of ownership. I went with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s. They have a better grip rating than the Pirelli summer tire and they're treadwear rated to last 45k miles. The summer Pirellis last about 8-10k miles... AT MOST. However, by 5,000mi, the Pirelli will have bad traction fade, meaning they're offering a substantially reduced traction potential vs. when new.

From a logic standpoint, I really don't like the idea of paying extra for crap summer tires that I'm going to toss off of the car. Especially considering the fact that said added price is rolled into the loan amount and you get to pay interest on said crappy tires for 4-6 years... So no, I get the AS, burn them out, shred them... and replace them with Michelins.

· HOTM Winner
22 Posts
My 2018 Hellcat came with all season tires. Where I lived -- in northern CA in the Livermore CA area -- weather conditions simply didn't justify all season tires. Previous cars, high performance sports cars, were all fitted with high performance tires and the extra grip and better road manners were very much appreciated.

Had I kept the Hellcat I would have had high performance tires installed when the factory all season tires wore out. I'm too "cheap" to toss good tires even if they are all season tires.

But I got rid of the Hellcat before it needed a set of tires.

The replacement a 2020 Scat Pack came with high performance tires. These -- among other factors -- make the Scat Pack a better steer than the Hellcat.

My opinion is given where you live and drive I'd recommend you opt for the high performance tires. The all seasons simply aren't up to the job. The high performance tires won't grip like F1 race tires either, but they'll be better much better than the all seasons.
I am considering moving from a Hellcat to a Scat Pak. I had a Scat before the HC and loved it. It's hard for me to go back, because, c'mon bro, it's a Hellcat! So, why and how did you pull the trigger and go back to a Scat Pak?

· Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
3,225 Posts
I am considering moving from a Hellcat to a Scat Pak. I had a Scat before the HC and loved it. It's hard for me to go back, because, c'mon bro, it's a Hellcat! So, why and how did you pull the trigger and go back to a Scat Pak?
Decided I didn't want to own the Hellcat out of warranty. Figured at 33 months and with 27.5K miles (and in excellent condition for I took good care of the car) it was worth as much as it would ever be and decided to trade it in for a simpler car, the Scat Pack. No NAV. No supercharger and no supercharger belt drive system. No inter cooler cooling system. 6-speed manual instead of an A8. Less expensive brakes.

The Scat Pack is lighter by about 200lbs. This is not much when talking about cars weighing in at 4200lbs to 4400lbs but with no supercharger the Scat Pack center of gravity is lower. This makes a difference.

I can enjoy the Scat Pack on roads that when in the Hellcat I had the impression the Hellcat was about to slip off the road. In part due to the inadequate all season tires. A ridiculous tire choice for a Hellcat if you ask me. I was dumb not to recognize this at first and then after I did admittedly too cheap to prematurely discard the all seasons for something better. The Scat Pack with its high performance tires and lighter weight/lower center of gravity is a far better steer in my opinion. While the Hellcat's power never got old it can get to a point it is no longer sufficient to justify continuing to own one. And true the Scat Pack and its 485hp is not 707hp but with 485hp the Scat Pack ain't lame by any stretch of the imagination.

· Registered
21 Camaro ZL1
1,505 Posts
Just FYI the all seasons are hard as rocks and flatspot very quickly when the car sits for two or more days in cooler weather. Mine will flatspot then take a few minutes of driving to get them warmed up and running smooth again. If i was to do it over, I'd get the three season tires. Hopefully they are better than the stock junk.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,678 Posts
If I remember right the all seasons actually have more tread depth. Theoretically they’d get more miles if you drove it with some self control. Being that the performance tire is no better on a Hellcat than an all season when having fun I like the all seasons just for the sake of them looking more like a brand new tire when I go to sell or trade in. First thing I do when I get a Hellcat is put a set of 10.5” reproduction wheels with a set of 305 drag radials.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
821 Posts
I live in SoCal. My car NEVER sees rain. I ordered the Summer tires to get the best handling I could of the two available options.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.