SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a 1500+HP Compound Turbo Redeye, but the AC is blowing warm air.

What are the obvious things to look for in a scenario like this?

Does a bad sensor always throw a code?

Could it be something in the tuning of the ECU impacting the AC circuit?

Has anyone else experienced this in a modified setup?

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,635 Posts
I am looking at purchasing a 1500+HP Compound Turbo Redeye, but the AC is blowing warm air.

What are the obvious things to look for in a scenario like this?

Does a bad sensor always throw a code?

Could it be something in the tuning of the ECU impacting the AC circuit?

Has anyone else experienced this in a modified setup?
Could be a number of things.

Normally under hard acceleration the A/C compressor is deactivated. But a tune could possibly have this deactivated at a much lower engine load threshold. The tune provider would probably need to be consulted to learn if this was done.

Is the A/C system intact? Compressor present? Condenser, piping? Could be the owner removed this hardware for weight and to reduce the parasitic load on the engine.

If the compressor is present, and along with the piping and condenser, etc., then I think the next step would be query the HVAC system for any error codes. 'course, you would need a scan tool capable of accessing the HVAC controller. You are not looking to read OBD2 codes but proprietary codes.

At some point too a check would have to be made to ensure the system had a full load of refrigerant and compressor oil. The system could be just low (empty) on refrigerant. Until it was confirmed the system had the right amount of refrigerant and oil I'd not run the compressor in this case as it can suffer from inadequate lubrication.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,226 Posts
I would have the AC system checked. I doubt anything else has been done from a mod standpoint to affect the AC unless it was removed completely.

Reactions: hc797

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,238 Posts
What is the seller telling you?
If they tell you they don't know, then there is the answer you will get for any problem with the car after purchase.
If you build a car, you know everything about it and every single problem, AND you would have fixed it if repair was possible.
If they are running a chiller with drag valve on all the time, I would bet it has overheating problems.

Reactions: saagz87

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,313 Posts
I have a Built and tuned 2015 Hellcat, so not a Redeye. When my AC was producing warm air it was caused by the Thermostat.
Not too long ago someone posted up the same problem with a Redeye. I tried searching for that thread, but have not found it yet.

Linda :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
If a system is low on refrigerant it will not operate and you cannot hurt the compressor in any way unless the low/hi psi switch would happen to be bad...except those are fail 'open' so when they are bad the system also won't work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe he removed the condenser when installing the go fast parts and leaked out all the Freon. FYI this is the new style of Freon and fitting and dealer runs well over $700 to recharge it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts