SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,348 Posts
I think the valves have stops and without them the motors may just keep spinning? You could always try it.

Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
In The Market
135 Posts
If you wire the valves open and remove the spring, how does the computer know to throw a code if the motor is opening and closing? The springs and valves are mechanical. Thanks.
On the 2019 and newer you can remove the spring and wire the valve open. Make sure the actuator is plugged in upon reassembly and you are good to go. No code....
I've done 3 and none threw a code.....but no guarantees. I'm driving my current 1320 with the valves open and no codes.

Reactions: WVHEMIS

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I still don't understand why Dodge wont let you open or close them at a touch of the finger. You know, like EVERY OTHER MFGR allows you to do that offers a factory active exhaust.

I have mine open all the time with the Mfer kit but would really like to close them at the touch of a button when I'm just cruising down the highway. Not to mention I'd like to have them closed in the morning when I start the car and open them when I get out of the neighborhood. It's a respect thing to not be obnoxious in residential areas...

Reactions: jchristena

·
Registered
25 Posts
I still don't understand why Dodge wont let you open or close them at a touch of the finger. You know, like EVERY OTHER MFGR allows you to do that offers a factory active exhaust.

I have mine open all the time with the Mfer kit but would really like to close them at the touch of a button when I'm just cruising down the highway. Not to mention I'd like to have them closed in the morning when I start the car and open them when I get out of the neighborhood. It's a respect thing to not be obnoxious in residential areas...
Technically you can, in Track mode the valves stay open. The problem is Dodge never added separate controls just for the valves (like Ford and GM do now).

·
Registered
293 Posts

I don’t really here the difference with them closed or open. I wonder if mine are open all the time? My exhaust gurgles and pops on decel the same in all drive modes. This is my first cat so I don’t have anything to compare to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don’t really here the difference with them closed or open. I wonder if mine are open all the time? My exhaust gurgles and pops on decel the same in all drive modes. This is my first cat so I don’t have anything to compare to.
You should definitely notice a difference in Eco and Track. If you don't, either you a problem or your hearing needs to be checked :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is your car new or used? I'll let someone with a Redeye confirm, but my SP will do some in all modes if you gas and lift off the pedal quickly. Far easier to do it when using manual shifting to hold gears on decel.

But Track should be noticeably louder than Eco or Auto. Now keep in mind if you got beyond a certain throttle (like WOT) in any mode, the valves open to prevent harm. It's the cruising and part throttle driving that should be noticeable in Track. Sound insulation is actually decent in these cars, so roll the window down too and check.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Is your car new or used? I'll let someone with a Redeye confirm, but my SP will do some in all modes if you gas and lift off the pedal quickly. Far easier to do it when using manual shifting to hold gears on decel.

But Track should be noticeably louder than Eco or Auto. Now keep in mind if you got beyond a certain throttle (like WOT) in any mode, the valves open to prevent harm. It's the cruising and part throttle driving that should be noticeable in Track. Sound insulation is actually decent in these cars, so roll the window down too and check.
I don’t believe I have an eco mode. Yes brand new drove it home started with 8 miles. When I get on it I hear the supercharger whine over the exhaust.

·
Registered
293 Posts

I was actually driving all over with the windows down yesterday changing drive modes. I could not tell any sound difference. Just shifting steering and suspension for sure changes.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Technically you can, in Track mode the valves stay open. The problem is Dodge never added separate controls just for the valves (like Ford and GM do now).
Yeah, but then you're forced into the God awful harsh suspension and no traction/stability control. Not my idea of fun when driving around town. Maybe the autos are different but in my 15 M6 I can't change that in track mode.

Reactions: SuperSound

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, but then you're forced into the God awful harsh suspension and no traction/stability control. Not my idea of fun when driving around town. Maybe the autos are different but in my 15 M6 I can't change that in track mode.
Yea need to setup a custom driving mode for it, then you can leave steering and suspension where you want it. Just wish you weren't forced to Track throttle and shifting to get the valves open, but I can deal with that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts