SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my new 2020 Hellcat Challenger it didn't come with the sound system I wanted, but was wondering if I can add the Harmon Kardon sub to my car? It has a slot for it in the trunk, I have heard you can tap into the rear speakers with an amp and use the sub but wondering if anyone knows if this is possible and if so, how? Thanks,

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can add any sub/amp combo you want back there, just just have to make sure that the amp you chose has line level inputs for signal so you can tap into the rear speakers for signal. I'm not sure if the HK amp has line level inputs, so I doubt that'll work. But if you can find the factory HK box you can install about any 10" subs in them, then pick an appropriate amp and mount it under some panel in the trunk to hide it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any suggestions on an amp? I know there is a converter that you can buy to tap into the rear speakers that then plugs into the amp. I'm not that knowledgeable in amps so any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd call crutchfeild and talk with them. You need to know what subs you'll be using first, then match the amp to those. So, pick your subs (by power rating and ohms), then pick an amp that matches that power rating at those ohms, and either get the signal convertor or make sure your chosen amp has line inputs as well as rca inputs. Crutchfeild will work with your requirements and be able to put a package together for you that plays well together. Back in my stereo days, I never ran line inputs, just rca inputs, and that was a LONG time ago. So I haven't kept up with who has what out nowadays, but a little research will put you on the right track for what you need. And you don't need huge power, so no point in spending a fortune. I have the HK upgrade (which isn't top of the line stuff) and I can tell you that that thing hits hard and sounds GREAT for a cheaper/low power type system.......even being buried in the trunk AND under the trunk flap.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
888 Posts
I’ve heard good things about just going with a decent powered sub that can fit in the that trunk cutout. JL audio I think makes one that fits well. Just find a powered sub setup that uses high level inputs, tap into the rear speakers and away you go.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
122 Posts
I have a Charger but I did what you wanted.
I found a good deal on HK sub box for $120 locally & rewired it (link below), had some amp wiring already, and then bought a (small sized) Rockford Fosgate 500X1D amp (in case I ever want to upgrade the subs).....just under $300 total spent for some extra oomph.
I did also spring for the factory Challenger foam piece that holds the air compressor & that's what my amp is sitting in.

I tapped into the rear speakers for the amp inputs, ran the power wire for the amp to the battery (in the trunk conveniently), ran a ground wire for the amp, and then ran a remote wire to the fuse box (again, in the trunk).
I also added some Dynamat while I was back there too.

It's pretty easy on these cars though. The amp is overkill for the HK subs, and I have the gain barely up from zero but it's enough.

Follow this sub write up to get both DVC's working on the HK subs too:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Charger but I did what you wanted.
I found a good deal on HK sub box for $120 locally & rewired it (link below), had some amp wiring already, and then bought a (small sized) Rockford Fosgate 500X1D amp (in case I ever want to upgrade the subs).....just under $300 total spent for some extra oomph.
I did also spring for the factory Challenger foam piece that holds the air compressor & that's what my amp is sitting in.

I tapped into the rear speakers for the amp inputs, ran the power wire for the amp to the battery (in the trunk conveniently), ran a ground wire for the amp, and then ran a remote wire to the fuse box (again, in the trunk).
I also added some Dynamat while I was back there too.

It's pretty easy on these cars though. The amp is overkill for the HK subs, and I have the gain barely up from zero but it's enough.

Follow this sub write up to get both DVC's working on the HK subs too:
Thanks for the info. This is encouraging.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve heard good things about just going with a decent powered sub that can fit in the that trunk cutout. JL audio I think makes one that fits well. Just find a powered sub setup that uses high level inputs, tap into the rear speakers and away you go.
JL Audio's Stealthbox is AWESOME for these cars. Just added it to my Redeye (it came with the Alpine set-up, no sub). JL Audio amp added to the mix, and it's plenty of bass and fills out the sound nicely. Also has a gain control that I mounted in the console between the seats.

The Stealthbox has a hefty price tag, but it's worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts