SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after months of debate, I've decided to mod my 2017 Charger Hellcat. I have a reputable local shop that will be doing the install and crank pinning, but I have a few questions that could benefit from all of your input and experience. What are the best bang for the buck mods you guys would recommend for a purely street driven setup on 93 pump? Going 2.85, but unsure if I should go Metco or Litens? It Metco, should I do the blower spacer plates? Driveshaft or no? What about an intake and midpipe? For email tuning (and parts), OST or HHP?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,265 Posts
So after months of debate, I've decided to mod my 2017 Charger Hellcat. I have a reputable local shop that will be doing the install and crank pinning, but I have a few questions that could benefit from all of your input and experience. What are the best bang for the buck mods you guys would recommend for a purely street driven setup on 93 pump? Going 2.85, but unsure if I should go Metco or Litens? It Metco, should I do the blower spacer plates? Driveshaft or no? What about an intake and midpipe? For email tuning (and parts), OST or HHP?

Thanks for the input!

Here is what I recommend;:
Crank pin
Litens 2.85 pulley
Catch can
Fastman throttle body
Lmi or Jlt CAI
Good rear tires .
OST dyno for Tuning

Some of these parts can be picked up a used ro save a few bucks .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
798 Posts
Strict 93 pump gas on the street with no intentions of hitting the drags ever? Can skip the driveshaft. If you add a radial and want to add traction? Get a shaft.

You're pinning the crank so pulley choice is personal preference. Litens if you can spring it. Metco is fine if you don't/can't/won't but you'll eventually end up with pin bushing wear either way...but sooner with metco.

Plates are a help but not required really. If you pull the blower off to do them and the blanket? Consider any wear or maintenance while you are there.

Midpipe I did for sound and safety on E85 but isnt required. I've been party to cats self-destructing on other cars under high boost. These cars tolerate it MUCH better though. Literal thousands of nodded cars with cats and no worries.

Of the 2 I'd probably go OST. Their stage 1 package sounds like it's your ticket.

Also consider Dusterhoff Tuning...but of those 3 I dont think you can go wrong. Barth as well.

Reactions: Tucothelegend

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
720 Posts
My experience has been great with the following;

metco 2.85 upper - easy to drop to a 2.72 at the track with minimal tools. - find used with hub for $150ish
10%od ATI lower - nice quality - find used for $300
pin kit - bwoody or hhp $85
1050x injectors - I would try to find a used set in the market place for $500
FI Blower Spacers - buy the real deal, not amazon knock offs. This is a win win because your also fixing the oil/gasket issue. $375ish
Ported Snout and upgrade to boca hybrid ceramic bearings - Use caution dealing with FAS.
105mm throttle body - I used a CFM because them gave me a great deal.
billet supercharger bearing plate and upgrade to boca hybrid ceramic bearings - must check bearing bores and hone prior to install. Use caution dealing with FAS.
JLT cai - I used this CAI because of the housing that protects from engine heat transfer. It does need modded when going to a 105mm TB.
180 thermostat
Oil separator - I used jlt but they all work the same - I did both sides
jba catless down pipes - this with stock exhaust sounds fantastic, switch out to vibrant mids if you want more.
unlock pcm - use hptuners.
ost dyno for tuning - mike and micah are awesome to deal with.

drag radials for the street or zero traction.

I would do the driveshaft, maybe wait and score a used one, but make sure if you buy one it is the newest version and not the old u joint dss.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,440 Posts
IMO. If it's strictly for street keep it safe and simple. What @hpindy works. Keeping with 93. Might want to add Demon injectors and a 180° Tstat as well.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
720 Posts
Staying safe is up to the tune.
My setup is 100% streetable and safe on 93.
Depends how far you want to go with the car and how many times you want to upgrade the same parts and lose money.
I have seen that there are three ways people build their cars on here;
1. Buy a ton of parts, never put them on, sell later for a loss.
2. Keep buying and upgrading over and over, this gets expen$ive dragging out a build.
3. Plan your build and say this is it. Buy your parts, put them on, tune, and your done.

I chose to do everything over the winter since i am in PA and wasn't driving the car.

Do your research on here and decide how far you see the project going and most importantly, figure out a budget.

I agree with hpindy as well for a simple build, but would add/change a little....

Bwoody Crank pin
Metco 2.85 pulley
10%od ATI
Injectors
Catch can
Jlt CAI
Jba catless down pipes
Drag radials
OST dyno for Tuning, mpvi2

This would build a potent street car. And like I tell everyone, hit the market place and buy used parts to save cash. Most used items people have for sale only have 5,000 or less miles on them because they are playing the upgrade game.

Also, when buying new shop around. I bought my JLT CAI and two JLT oil seperators on ebay for a huge discount, got my cai for $340. They sell used on here for $300, worth the $40 to have new in the box.

Reactions: Beast707

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys so much for the advice. I’m already running 555r’s and they’re such a dramatic improvement over stock. I’m coming from a heads/cam C6 z06 that was pretty potent from a roll. I’d love to get that same feeling or better from the hellcat and still have reliability. I’m thinking of going with the litens 2.85, 1050x, throttle body, jlt intake, pinned crank, thermostat and an ost tune. To those of you with similar mods, how was the process of getting your email tune? Was the first tune a dog or was it pretty solid to begin with?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
720 Posts
My OST tunes were right on the money. You will need to record data and email it back, he will adjust, and send a revision or two. Mike asked all the questions, i feel safe with them. I never really felt safe with any email tuning that i had done on my gt500s, only when it was on the dyno.
OST for the five car length win.

Reactions: hpindy

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,265 Posts
My OST tunes were right on the money. Mike asked all the questions, i feel safe with them. I never really felt safe with any email tuning that i had done on my gt500, only when it was on the dyno.
I second this . Mike at OST is awesome . I couldn't be happier with my car .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
266 Posts
Thank you guys so much for the advice. I’m already running 555r’s and they’re such a dramatic improvement over stock. I’m coming from a heads/cam C6 z06 that was pretty potent from a roll. I’d love to get that same feeling or better from the hellcat and still have reliability. I’m thinking of going with the litens 2.85, 1050x, throttle body, jlt intake, pinned crank, thermostat and an ost tune. To those of you with similar mods, how was the process of getting your email tune? Was the first tune a dog or was it pretty solid to begin with?
You download a form from OST DYNO on their website. Fill it out and send it in with your PCM to them. They will unlock it and load the new tune in. If you already have an unlocked PCM you can E-mail them the form and Mike will E mail you the tune. You have to have a HP TUNERS Mpvi2 (if you have a 18 or newer you have to get a OBD2 over ride) and a computer with HP tuners software to download the tune to the PCM and data log. After you do some data loging you send them to Mike and he will make some adjustments to the tune and you will get an E mail with the revisions. Go to their website and look around and you will see it all and what it cost....

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,037 Posts
Hey @Justin24 so you changed your mind and decided you dont want to be the slowest Hellcat "street car" :cool:
Even HHP Street Tunes are Track Tested to be the fastest. Why bother modding if you're the slowest car in the group. ;)

I would think a basic street driver package would at a minimum an upper pulley, injectors and a good Josh @ HHP Tune.

I'd give HHP sales a call 18888941115

Linda :)

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,037 Posts
Here is a very informational video for what I think you would want for your Hellcat!

Pssssstt I agree too
I think the most reputable Tuner out there is Joshua Schwartz.

Linda :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My OST tunes were right on the money. You will need to record data and email it back, he will adjust, and send a revision or two. Mike asked all the questions, i feel safe with them. I never really felt safe with any email tuning that i had done on my gt500s, only when it was on the dyno.
Are they responsive enough you could dyno both same day?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
720 Posts
I dont understand what your asking.
They did not dyno my gt500s and they were at different time periods.
Guess my post did not make sense.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
720 Posts
Use caution when playing Russian Roulette.
OR just don't play it...
If niko would have straight up said to people to double check his work then it would have been sufficient. I think the billet bearing plate is amazing and really opened up air flow to the sc. It wasnt russian roulette because other members ruined their superchargers and i got lucky enough to get the fixes and not ruin mine.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To those that got an unlocked PCM and an email tune from OST, did you need to do the throttle relearn? I’m kicking myself at this point because all the goodies are arriving tomorrow and I didn’t realize that I could have had OST load up the new pcm with my tune before they even shipped it out to me. I’m thinking of calling to see if I can send the new one back in and have them do it. The process just seems a bit confusing to me. For instance, if I do it myself , do I need to extract the stock tune that comes on the pcm and email it to them first? Or do I just install the new unlocked pcm and just flash the new email tune they send me? Is it safe to start the car before this new tune is loaded? Sorry for my complete ignorance here, but I’m new to this platform and to hptuners.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
720 Posts
Throttle relearn is simple.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
266 Posts
To those that got an unlocked PCM and an email tune from OST, did you need to do the throttle relearn? I’m kicking myself at this point because all the goodies are arriving tomorrow and I didn’t realize that I could have had OST load up the new pcm with my tune before they even shipped it out to me. I’m thinking of calling to see if I can send the new one back in and have them do it. The process just seems a bit confusing to me. For instance, if I do it myself , do I need to extract the stock tune that comes on the pcm and email it to them first? Or do I just install the new unlocked pcm and just flash the new email tune they send me? Is it safe to start the car before this new tune is loaded? Sorry for my complete ignorance here, but I’m new to this platform and to hptuners.
Yes, you have to do a throttle relearn. Did you get a second PCM? If you are keeping the original one you don't have to do anything to the original one.. You don't have to extract the stock tune, BUT it's not that hard to do. It is a good thing to do and just save it to your computer in a file named stock tune. You just put the second PCM in and then flash the e-mail tune. You will have to data log a few runs and then send them back to OST and Mike may make some revisions.... I am 60 years old and I did it, I removed my PCM and sent it to Mike and I did it all myself. It's not hard at all. Good luck....

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
720 Posts
The OST website has links to youtube videos that show you how to do everything.

Reactions: 2fast4u
1 - 20 of 20 Posts