SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Definitely need some advice on where to go from here. So I recently finished upgrading the car. I've got a 2.72 upper, 1050 ID, LMI, and a 93 octane Diablosport tune from a very reputable name in HC tuning (for the sake of remaining objective I won't name names). My priority from the beginning has been engine longevity over performance. This is my DD and yeah performance upgrades are great but not at the cost of jeopardizing the motor. And yes, looking back I know I definitely should've planned a little bit better. Anyways, I conveyed this to my tuner and he assured me the tune is safe. I'm making 18 psi of boost and I think that way outside of what 93 octane can handle. My data logs look clean and no evidence of knock but still I feel like this is a detonation waiting to happen. Him and I ultimately had a falling out and would rather just start all over with a new tuner.

I've been looking into e85 flex tuning, as straight e85 would be pretty inconvenient. If anyone has any advice as to where I should go from here I'd really appreciate it because I'm almost at the point where I'm considering cutting my losses and returning to stock power. And if anyone has any recommendations for (preferably DiabloSport) tuners who have had success with e85 flex tuning I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: HUNTER

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subscribed

...for a number of reasons...

:)

(All ya'all be nice...)
Oh I know it’s coming lol. That’s what I get for not planning ahead

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
862 Posts
Hey everyone,

Definitely need some advice on where to go from here. So I recently finished upgrading the car. I've got a 2.72 upper, 1050 ID, LMI, and a 93 octane Diablosport tune from a very reputable name in HC tuning (for the sake of remaining objective I won't name names). My priority from the beginning has been engine longevity over performance. This is my DD and yeah performance upgrades are great but not at the cost of jeopardizing the motor. And yes, looking back I know I definitely should've planned a little bit better. Anyways, I conveyed this to my tuner and he assured me the tune is safe. I'm making 20 psi of boost and I think that way outside of what 93 octane can handle. My data logs look clean and no evidence of knock but still I feel like this is a detonation waiting to happen. Him and I ultimately had a falling out and would rather just start all over with a new tuner.

I've been looking into e85 flex tuning, as straight e85 would be pretty inconvenient. If anyone has any advice as to where I should go from here I'd really appreciate it because I'm almost at the point where I'm considering cutting my losses and returning to stock power. And if anyone has any recommendations for (preferably DiabloSport) tuners who have had success with e85 flex tuning I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
I’m not sure if your getting 20psi with just a 2.72 upper. Either way some tuners swear by running high boost and reduced timing and some rather play it safe and run a smaller pulley.

You’re going to need bigger injectors for ethanol and the only person I know that has had success with flex fuel has been [email protected].

Personally I’d pick a tuner you can trust and follow their history. No tuners think alike. I believe Curt is using hptuners so you will also have that expense of changing over.

Good luck

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went back to double check and last data log shows 18psi not 20, my bad. I haven’t deleted my cats. Yeah I’ve already reached out to curt because I’ve heard good things. Definitely a lot of wasted money (again all self inflicted lol) between buying another set of injectors and switching to HP but if that’s the best and most realistic option then so be it

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,994 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,390 Posts
I really feel if your tuner said your good then you “should” be good. It helps you have the bwp he installed also. Has it been on the Dyno?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,113 Posts
Josh knows what he's doing, so I wouldn't worry about the tune. ostmike is who I had tune my rides for years so if you're wanting to change I'd check with him. [email protected] is also very good as well.

This is the second report I've heard of a 2018 Hellcat making WAY more boost on a 2.72 pulley than expected. Do you have a data log you can send me to review? Perhaps these new changes to the supercharger are allowing more boost at less blower speed.

At any rate, I'd not run 18psi on 93 octane. I'd back down to a 2.85, and it's an easy enough swap. If Josh tuned the original, just have an adult conversation with him and state you want to go to a 2.85 and I'm sure all will work out fine. Else, go with Mike or Curt mentioned above.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate the help y’all but again, I’d like to leave the tuner out of this just because I don’t want there to be any misinterpretations or misunderstandings about him and his work. He does a great job and I don’t want to give the impression I’m blaming him because I’m not

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really feel if your tuner said your good then you “should” be good. It helps you have the bwp he installed also. Has it been on the Dyno?
Tomorrow

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,620 Posts
18 psi seems high for just a 2.72 pulley. I thought the norm for that pulley was about 16 psi? No offence to any Tuner out there but if you are not comfortable with him there is no harm in finding another Tuner you feel comfortable with . I think you my find yourself going to a 2.85 upper pulley and a 93 octane tune . You have to ask your self if E85 is worth the hassle and cost for you . In the end you have to feel comfortable beating on the car when you do beat on it .

Good luck

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
Challenger SRT Hellcat
566 Posts
Hi Steven, I never realized we had a falling out until you started telling other tuners that last week. Sorry! Guess it just wasn’t meant to be. Curt, Tim, they’re all good, experienced tuners, you’ll have good luck with them.

I have always said I personally don’t recommend the 2.75” or smaller pulleys to 93 customers but your tune is conservative that you are running in order to keep it as safe as possible to prevent her from losing a piston down the road.

Joshua, HHP

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,167 Posts
There are many threads regarding the most boost that should be used on 93 pump gas. A cat making 14/15 pound of boost will perform better on 93 than higher boost application because the timing is really retarded on higher boost. There are members here running more than 15 pounds of boost on 93 pump gas but, I have never seen a time slip posted running 18 pounds on 93 at the track. I am not advocating running 93 at the track.

IMO, run a 2.85 pullely (or higher) until you have it fiqured out the direction you are going.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,113 Posts
I'd love some real clarification on why this is at so much debate for some. What exactly is it that causes the concern? HighHorseman do you have time to provide some technical info?

I understand the need to reduce timing as boost increases, but what I'm struggling with is why a pound more boost seems to be the big concern? I've got loads of data logs from 2.72 Hellraiser Hellcats and 2.85 Hellraiser Hellcats and 2.85 Metco Hellcats and they're all making "about" the same boost at right around 16psi. The timing on 93 octane for 16psi should be the same regardless of pulley if boost is about the same. In really good air the 2.72 might make 17, but again you just drop timing a degree or so to compensate. As long as fueling is adequate, what's the problem reducing the timing a degree or so in the tune to account for the possibility of a pound more boost? You might also need to rescale the aircharge table, but that's not a big deal I don't think?

My Hellraiser 2.72 I purchased from HHP goes on soon, so pertinent question for my setup. I called HHP to ask if I should send back the 2.72 for a 2.85 and the guy who answers tech questions at HHP said the 2.72 was fine for 93 and that the tuner would just reduce timing at tick as I'd expect.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts