SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure enough, 33.5K miles on my '18 392 and leaking coolant points to a failing water pump. Can't tell exactly where the leak is but the bearing is failing and the pulley has a wobble in it. Making a rattling noise that has worsened.

Can't get it replaced at the dealer until the end of August. I have a 2500 mile road trip in a couple weeks through ID/MT backroads. Question is - are these known to fail completely? Would you risk such a trip? If it fails during the trip I'm hosed from a service POV. Had to replace my first quart of coolant last weekend. The leak isn't terrible - yet.

Watching temps like a hawk and carrying extra coolant if needed.... I'll monitor coolant loss over the next week but my gut says not to risk it despite the strong desire to DRIVE IT!!!

Thoughts?

TIA

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
2,065 Posts
Hmm....I wouldn't try that trip myself, especially with as hot as it is.

Have you looked into an aftermarket performance water pump if you can't get the stock one? Melling makes one and several of the site sponsors probably have one in stock.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,075 Posts
If you don't care about a catastrophic breakdown at the worst time, take it then. It could ruin 5 other things that the dealer won't fix after the fact. Depending upon how bad of a job it is, I'd get it done before the trip.

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger Redeye in Indigo Blue
57 Posts
The water pump on my 2017 Chally Scat Pack failed completely... Started with a slight coolant smell but no leak that progressed to a brownish coating on the front of the engine bay after a week ish. Then a slight bearing noise started when I went for a short cruise, began to overheat and puked in my garage just as I got home, Called the dealer (only a mile and a half away) and limped it to them the next day. Warranty covered everything only has 12k miles at the time.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,494 Posts
I would not risk the trip for fear of catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,542 Posts
Sure enough, 33.5K miles on my '18 392 and leaking coolant points to a failing water pump. Can't tell exactly where the leak is but the bearing is failing and the pulley has a wobble in it. Making a rattling noise that has worsened.

Can't get it replaced at the dealer until the end of August. I have a 2500 mile road trip in a couple weeks through ID/MT backroads. Question is - are these known to fail completely? Would you risk such a trip? If it fails during the trip I'm hosed from a service POV. Had to replace my first quart of coolant last weekend. The leak isn't terrible - yet.

Watching temps like a hawk and carrying extra coolant if needed.... I'll monitor coolant loss over the next week but my gut says not to risk it despite the strong desire to DRIVE IT!!!

Thoughts?

TIA
That the water pump is leaking coolant, the pulley has a wobble (bearing play) and the water pump is rattling is a sign it has failed.

You do not want to run the engine any let alone drive the car with the water pump in this condition.

Have to stress this point: I have road tripped a number of times in various cars over the years. My first rule is never leave home with a known car issue. Thus I would NOT venture anywhere with the car but to the nearest dealer to get the water pump/T-stat replaced.

If you can't postpone the trip or get the car repaired in time -- I would not repair the car with an aftermarket water pump/T-stat either -- arrange for a rental car to use for the trip.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many, many thanks for the responses/input!

I have called around the state and found another dealer to do the warranty repair next Tuesday so I'll be GTG.

Cannot over-emphasize the value of being able to tap into such a wealth of knowledge on this site. Thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts