Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,292 Posts
Cool video! Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
198 Posts
Thanks for the video! Interesting how the drag numbers are just about equal.after all these years.

The Daytona had a cd of .29. Charger Hellcat cd - .33

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,211 Posts
There is a reason Ford and GM refused to run against the Winged Warriors: Mopar was simply too dominate. No competition is bad business (especially when the 2 guys on strike are the big guys) and it was simply easier to change the rules and essentially ban us from competing.

Same thing happened in NHRA...

Mopar or no car!...those who KNOW...know it is true we rule

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,423 Posts
I remember seeing a Superbird running around town when I was 16 and driving my '65 Corvair. I was GM all the way but I thought the Superbird was about the wildest thing I had ever seen!

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
613 Posts
I'd love to find more video of the HC during this. They only show a few points of smoke.

I'd love to see what happens to the air a little further down on the grill.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
754 Posts
Cool video.

Watch the videos of Cale Yarborough and friends lapping Daytona at +200mph in the wing cars - simple seat belt and open face helmets. Crazy guys.

I have a 1970 Charger R/T - 440 with a 4 speed pistol grip. At 60mph all it wants to do is kill me.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,727 Posts
I remember seeing a Superbird running around town when I was 16 and driving my '65 Corvair. I was GM all the way but I thought the Superbird was about the wildest thing I had ever seen!
16 years old and '65 Corvair. My story, as well. I had to tow it home, put a clutch in it, replace shocks, paint and a ton of other things. Those things could turn, though. It handled as well Vettes and Porsches of the day.

I lived in Detroit burbs and had friends with auto exec dads that brought home muscle cars that we'd take to Woodward Ave (street racing capital of the world, according to C&D mag). Good times.

Back on topic. I'm not surprised the old Daytona matches the Charger's aerodynamics.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
47 Posts
Bobby Isaac set the record in 1969 but Bill Elliot broke it in 1987. Still a very impressive feat for its time. With restrictor plates Elliot's record will probably never be broken in Nascar.

Cool video.

Watch the videos of Cale Yarborough and friends lapping Daytona at +200mph in the wing cars - still a lap speed record to this day .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts