SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Hellcat Plum Crazy
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not know if this has been discussed before but I have a question for the forum, the open aftermarket cold air intakes avaliable (no top cover exposed element) on the older Hellcats that have the hood opening right above the airbox. Will rainwater get sucked in to the Supercharger? Seems to me that it would though I see a lot of Hellcats with this open top airbox.

Can someone provide some info on this, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
'23 C8 3LT Convertible Z51
3,910 Posts
JLT's CAI for the pre '19 cars comes with an optional plexi rain shield for that opening. The risk of water intake is minimal, but it does exist. Under normal driving, you're fine. However, if you park it outside and let it get rained on all day, it might get enough water in it to saturate the filter enough to ingest water and do some harm. The chance is exceedingly remote. I did the math on this topic a couple years ago and found that the standard filters can hold about 2 cups of water. To hydrolock the 6.2L, you'd need a quick intake of around 2 tablespoons that makes it into the combustion chamber. Remember that as water goes into the intake, it also has to go through the supercharger where it is super heated and typically becomes a gas. Even with aftercooling, not all of the water taken in will return to a liquid state. Most of that will pass without incident. But, with a super saturated filter, there is the chance of intaking more than 2 tablespoons of water in a situation like a cold start.

I don't know what the probability is, but it's very low. You'd need the perfect storm of absolutely soaked air filter, a cold engine, and a dose of bad luck to actually hurt the car.

·
Registered
2016 Hellcat Plum Crazy
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JLT's CAI for the pre '19 cars comes with an optional plexi rain shield for that opening. The risk of water intake is minimal, but it does exist. Under normal driving, you're fine. However, if you park it outside and let it get rained on all day, it might get enough water in it to saturate the filter enough to ingest water and do some harm. The chance is exceedingly remote. I did the math on this topic a couple years ago and found that the standard filters can hold about 2 cups of water. To hydrolock the 6.2L, you'd need a quick intake of around 2 tablespoons that makes it into the combustion chamber. Remember that as water goes into the intake, it also has to go through the supercharger where it is super heated and typically becomes a gas. Even with aftercooling, not all of the water taken in will return to a liquid state. Most of that will pass without incident. But, with a super saturated filter, there is the chance of intaking more than 2 tablespoons of water in a situation like a cold start.

I don't know what the probability is, but it's very low. You'd need the perfect storm of absolutely soaked air filter, a cold engine, and a dose of bad luck to actually hurt the car.
Thank You for that info, I also have a 2021 C8 Z51, Just love those Vettes but for some weird strange reason that makes no sense I rather drive my Hellcat, must be the manual trans!

·
Registered
'23 C8 3LT Convertible Z51
3,910 Posts
Thank You for that info, I also have a 2021 C8 Z51, Just love those Vettes but for some weird strange reason that makes no sense I rather drive my Hellcat, must be the manual trans!
Well, I'm a track rat by nature. I too sort of miss my Hellcat, but that goes away about the time I turn the steering wheel in the C8.

·
Registered
2016 Hellcat Plum Crazy
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm a track rat by nature. I too sort of miss my Hellcat, but that goes away about the time I turn the steering wheel in the C8.
You are right the C8 is a beast, must be me since I grew up in the Muscle car era driving GTOs, SS Chevelles, Hurst Olds, Buicks you know the fun cars, The Hellcat reminds me of them though it would blow away even the famed LS6 Chevelles. Could you imagine a Hellcat or C8 in 1970!

I am happy I could afford them both.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts