SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting in a race seat and need to figure out what wiring will need to be deleted and how to defeat the air bag warning light if it comes on.
I tried the search function here to see if there is a current write up on this, no luck, if there is one please let me know and I'll ask to delete this thread.
When swapping in an aftermarket seat with no airbags on it or occupancy sensors what needs to be done?
I've searched the web and found some write ups on other brands of cars where people used a simple resistor to do the job, evidently the airbag has a certain resistance that the car monitors and if its not there the computer throws a code and or a warning light.
I don't even know if there is an occupancy sensor on the drivers side as I am only changing the drivers seat so this might not be necessary. But for folks doing both seats, if you have experience please post it.
I'm not going to take out the stock seat till I'm sure I can either defeat the warning lights and/or make sure the car doesn't go into limp mode or something.
I don't care if there is a warning light on when it comes right down to it, but if there is other complications that would be bad.

·
Thread Killer
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,111 Posts
3 ohm resistor to mimic squib.
I'll post more detailed instructions when I get back home on Tuesday.

·
Thread Killer
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,111 Posts
From the body inline 14 way connector under driver's seat, you can install a 2.7 - 3 ohm resistor between cavity 5 (light blue/violet) and cavity 6 (light green/gray) to mimic the thorax airbag squib.

Assuming you will be installing racing seat belt;
From the same connector, you can install a jumper between cavity 4 (light green/gray) and cavity 11 (light green/tan) to mimic seat belt buckle switch in order to turn off the seat belt reminder.

Also from the same connector, you can wire in the seat track position sensor which will need to be removed from the seat track.
Since this a hall effect sensor, you need to isolate it from any close proximity to metal objects. Once triggered, this sensor informs the ORC (occupant restraint controller) that the seat is within 10% range of full forward position and the ORC will de-rate the driver's airbag deployment force. By isolating this sensor, the ORC will interpret the signal as the seat being in any other position than full forward and will deploy the driver's air bag at full force (depending on impact severity).

Capture 1.PNG
Capture 2.PNG

EDIT: This probably won't work. I'm working on a bypass connector/harness. Hoping to have it ready for Woodward.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you that is excellent information! Very much appreciated!
One question I have is is there also a occupancy sensor that reacts to anyone sitting in the seat in any position? What I mean is one time I was trying to start my hellcat so I decided to put the car in neutral with the emergency brake on push in the clutch with my hand and push the start button at the same time it would not start unless I sat in the seat which is three quarters of the way back/rearmost position.

·
Thread Killer
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,111 Posts
Thank you that is excellent information! Very much appreciated!
One question I have is is there also a occupancy sensor that reacts to anyone sitting in the seat in any position? What I mean is one time I was trying to start my hellcat so I decided to put the car in neutral with the emergency brake on push in the clutch with my hand and push the start button at the same time it would not start unless I sat in the seat which is three quarters of the way back/rearmost position.
occupant detection sensor on passenger seat only. perhaps you didn't have the clutch pedal pushed far enough. IIRC, the clutch/starter interlock switch only triggers in the last 5% of pedal travel.

Do you have similar info on taking out the passenger seat?
Occupancy sensor and such?
similar 14 way connector is used under passenger seat.
thorax airbag squib circuits populate cavities 3 (violet/light blue) and 4 (gray/ light green).
seat belt switch cavities 2 (light blue/gray) and 9 (light blue/tan).
seat belt buckle tensioner cavities 10 (light blue/yellow) and 11 (light blue/dark green).
occupant detection sensor cavities 6 (dark blue) and 13 (dark blue/light green).
not sure how to bypass occupant detection sensor. it is a flexible membrane sensor and it's signal is used to determine if the load is static (purse, etc) or dynamic (actual occupant).

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
158 Posts
This is great info.

I have two sparco seats waiting to be installed so im trying to figure out how to keep the passenger dash airbag working and others when the new seats go in.

I really appreciate the above info... i dont understand any of it, but I will reference when I try to find someone who I can pay to help me figure it out.

Thanks for putting that info out there.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my six speed challenger absolutely will not start without someone being in the drivers seat,
I rammed the clutch pedal fully into the carpet and it still won't start unless you're in the seat.
It will however start with the clutch pedal a couple inches from the floor when sitting in the seat.
I never got around to figuring out that issue my race seat from OMP is now going in my BMW which will be my primary track car for road course This year.

·
Registered
'17 Challenger SRT Hellcat
30 Posts
Sorry for going a little off topic here - have any of you guys tried this... thing?

Amazon.com: CG Lock Performance Add-On for Your Seatbelt: Automotive

I'd like to get the effect of race harnesses (as far as holding you in place when tracking the car) but I'd prefer to the keep the interior stock. Wondering if anyone has had any experience using a CG Lock or a similar product for that purpose.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,528 Posts
Sorry for going a little off topic here - have any of you guys tried this... thing?

Amazon.com: CG Lock Performance Add-On for Your Seatbelt: Automotive

I'd like to get the effect of race harnesses (as far as holding you in place when tracking the car) but I'd prefer to the keep the interior stock. Wondering if anyone has had any experience using a CG Lock or a similar product for that purpose.
I got one last Fall and basically it works. However, it slid off my belt clip more than a couple of times. It's held on with 2 set screws that clamp onto a toothed gripper that clamps onto the belt latch. I couldn't get it tight enough to hold for a long time.

I don't plan to keep on using it. I got a good deal on a harness bar and got some harnesses and will install them before my events this year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmm, bummer. Does using it damage the seat belt by its clamping force? I guess I'm a little bit confused about how it actually functions.

I got one last Fall and basically it works. However, it slid off my belt clip more than a couple of times. It's held on with 2 set screws that clamp onto a toothed gripper that clamps onto the belt latch. I couldn't get it tight enough to hold for a long time.

I don't plan to keep on using it. I got a good deal on a harness bar and got some harnesses and will install them before my events this year.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,528 Posts
Hmm, bummer. Does using it damage the seat belt by its clamping force? I guess I'm a little bit confused about how it actually functions.
It's hard for me to describe, but watch the installation video at this site.
CG-Lock How does the CG-Lock Work
There are some minor scratches in the plastic latch holder from the CG lock teeth.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,528 Posts
Ah, that helps - thanks. Sounds like this is my only option aside from, you know, doing it right. Hmm.
Some people may recommend the chest belts that wrap around your seat and chest horizontally. They will work well, but if your side airbags go off I can't promise how that will go. Theoretically that may compress the chest harness into your chest when the airbag expands out the sides. That is until the clasp just breaks.

You can also consider some of the harnesses that hook up to the rear seat for the shoulder harnesses and to your lap belts, like the Schroth, below.

upload_2017-1-15_19-15-16.png

·
Registered
30 Posts
Some people may recommend the chest belts that wrap around your seat and chest horizontally. They will work well, but if your side airbags go off I can't promise how that will go. Theoretically that may compress the chest harness into your chest when the airbag expands out the sides. That is until the clasp just breaks.

You can also consider some of the harnesses that hook up to the rear seat for the shoulder harnesses and to your lap belts, like the Schroth, below.

View attachment 127121
Wow - I'm liking that Schroth approach, hadn't heard of that design before. Thanks for the tip!

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
451 Posts
my six speed challenger absolutely will not start without someone being in the drivers seat,
I rammed the clutch pedal fully into the carpet and it still won't start unless you're in the seat.
It will however start with the clutch pedal a couple inches from the floor when sitting in the seat.
I never got around to figuring out that issue my race seat from OMP is now going in my BMW which will be my primary track car for road course This year.
So are you saying the manual Hellcats can't get aftermarket seats? I was just about to order some, but if my car won't start i'd be wasting money.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,391 Posts
Honestly I bet the guy developing the tazer can do all that you ask. He turns all kinds of stuff off. Message him on facebook or send him a text on what you want. His number is the tazer support number.

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
451 Posts
Honestly I bet the guy developing the tazer can do all that you ask. He turns all kinds of stuff off. Message him on facebook or send him a text on what you want. His number is the tazer support number.
Thanks.

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
451 Posts
is that the number on the zautotech website?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts