SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Bob
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all these new cats arriving, many will be looking to add some mods and an important one that comes with much debate, the catch can.

Just thought I would share some of my research and where I settled on which one to invest in.

Excellent research here for why you need one and which design works the best and why. http://www.106rallye.co.uk/members/dynofiend/breathersystems.pdf

I'm going with these guys, had one on my SRT and loved it. Works perfect, well made, cost is reasonable and the design is superior. Challenger Oil Separators

Many on this site has been asking me about when they would be ready.
20151026_132907_resized.jpg
They have just finished making mounting brackets/connectors and all for the Hellcat. You can email them and get your name on a list for the new kits. Should start going out late next week.

This photo does not show the new mounting bracket. This was just a test version. Finished version is brushed, smaller and one piece.

We use my car for the test subject, took about 15 minutes to install!

When I get the new kit, I will post photos of the finished product.

·
Bob
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
View attachment 28632 I just installed mine last night from billet technology quality product.
Nice, they are good products.

I just do not prefer their design. Their intake is on top, just my preference for the intake on the bottom per my research, yields better results. Also Bob's has a drain valve on the bottom for easier emptying.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Demon
1,077 Posts
Reactions: My71Gs

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
110 Posts
Any thoughts about the driver-side Catch Can? Thanks for your efforts, Bob.

Learned that my cat is on it's way to Atlanta on the train. Then has to be transported to SC, about 100 miles.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Demon
1,077 Posts

Learned that my cat is on it's way to Atlanta on the train. Then has to be transported to SC, about 100 miles.
I have one in order
but i havent experiences with it

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
720 Posts
With all these new cats arriving, many will be looking to add some mods and an important one that comes with much debate, the catch can.

Just thought I would share some of my research and where I settled on which one to invest in.

Excellent research here for why you need one and which design works the best and why. http://www.106rallye.co.uk/members/dynofiend/breathersystems.pdf

I'm going with these guys, had one on my SRT and loved it. Works perfect, well made, cost is reasonable and the design is superior. Challenger Oil Separators

Many on this site has been asking me about when they would be ready. View attachment 28615 They have just finished making mounting brackets/connectors and all for the Hellcat. You can email them and get your name on a list for the new kits. Should start going out late next week.

This photo does not show the new mounting bracket. This was just a test version. Finished version is brushed, smaller and one piece.

We use my car for the test subject, took about 15 minutes to install!

When I get the new kit, I will post photos of the finished product.

Bob I sure would like to see inside one of your catch cans to see how it works do you have any pics you can post.
Bam Bam

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
155 Posts
The purple ones from Billet Tech have served me well on my past two PCP Challenegrs. Got one ordered for the Cat as well... It'll probably be here a month or so before the car is.

Reactions: My71Gs

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,437 Posts
Nice, they are good products.

I just do not prefer their design. Their intake is on top, just my preference for the intake on the bottom per my research, yields better results. Also Bob's has a drain valve on the bottom for easier emptying.
If you don't use the bottom drain you're left disconnecting a hose to do that? It also appears you're not in control of the final position of the bottom connection (since the base unscrews.) Those are deal killers for me I'm transitioning to mostly hard line plumbing. I'm not seeing anything that would place this high on my choice list, but that's just my 1c opinion as well so...

·
Bob
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Great! Want be long for ya then!!! They are balls of fun!!!!!

BamBam
Here is the one I have had on my SRT. You can see the mesh used to trap the oil mist which is trapped and falls to the bottom of the can. By using the bottom of the can to catch the oil mist, gravity is also used to keep the oil from getting out of the can. The exit hole at the top. The drain valve makes it a breeze for emptying. More than half the can is filled with the oil mist trapping mesh.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,437 Posts
How much oil volume does it hold before it begins to back feed into the pcv / rocker cover?

·
Bob
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you don't use the bottom drain you're left disconnecting a hose to do that? It also appears you're not in control of the final position of the bottom connection (since the base unscrews.) Those are deal killers for me I'm transitioning to mostly hard line plumbing. I'm not seeing anything that would place this high on my choice list, but that's just my 1c opinion as well so...
Not sure I'm following you, how are you hard line plumbing??

This was just lose mounted for I'm waiting on the 5/8" barbs for the correct fit to the hose. Also using the heat shrink over the barbs.

Attachments

·
Bob
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How much oil volume does it hold before it begins to back feed into the pcv / rocker cover?
Not really sure, would have to ask them or do a volume check. It's so easy to drain that on my SRT I would do it about every 1,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,437 Posts
Not sure I'm following you, how are you hard line plumbing??

This was just lose mounted for I'm waiting on the 5/8" barbs for the correct fit to the hose. Also using the heat shrink over the barbs.
Annealed aluminum tubing and AN fittings.

·
Bob
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Annealed aluminum tubing and AN fittings.
Gotcha! How were you going to connect them to the Dodge PCV exit and intake fittings??

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,437 Posts
Gotcha! How were you going to connect them to the Dodge PVC exit and intake fittings??
AN to push loc adapters.

(I may use Cunifer tubing instead of aluminum either way I have flare tools and can bend below 3/4")

·
Bob
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AN to push loc adapters.

(I may use Cunifer tubing instead of aluminum either way I have flare tools and can bend below 3/4")
What size tubing??

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,437 Posts
Gotcha! How were you going to connect them to the Dodge PVC exit and intake fittings??
AN...Push Loc adapters.

I don't have a PCV anymore. I gutted it. It's just a connector now. If Metco doesn't build a AN adapter screw in adapter for PCV side. C&R Racing has bung fittings I can weld two together to create one. I'll likely do this for PCV connection and then use AN...Push Loc for intake plenum side.

(I may use Cunifer tubing versus Annealed Aluminum one or the other...)

Tubing will be >.5" tbd

1 - 20 of 88 Posts