SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Alternator removal instruction PLEASE ASAP

21K views 59 replies 15 participants last post by  Cliff Smith 
#1 ·
As the title states any ideas on how to remove it, no way thru the bottom and up top the blower tensioner it's on it's way and I can't remove the third bolt of the tensioner closest to the base of the tensioner any schematics or any help highly appreciated it has to be specific to he hellcat because of the blower tensioner

Thanks in advance
Ed

#8 ·
I have not had the pleasure or removing one on a Hellcat yet.

The service manual is very vague. All it says is remove serpentine belt. Remove alternator bolts. Remove alternator. Doesn't say which way it comes out. The service manual leaves it to your imagination on what way to go.

It does say remove the lower bolt from underneith an lower vehicle to remove the upper bolt. Doesn't say to raise vehicle again so one would think they want you to snake it out of the top.

Is the tensioner the only part in the way? Just remove it should be only one bolt or is the supercharger belt tensioner the one in the way?

#55 ·
I have not had the pleasure or removing one on a Hellcat yet.

The service manual is very vague. All it says is remove serpentine belt. Remove alternator bolts. Remove alternator. Doesn't say which way it comes out. The service manual leaves it to your imagination on what way to go.

It does say remove the lower bolt from underneith an lower vehicle to remove the upper bolt. Doesn't say to raise vehicle again so one would think they want you to snake it out of the top.

Is the tensioner the only part in the way? Just remove it should be only one bolt or is the supercharger belt tensioner the one in the way?
I just yesterday read where someone who was putting in a bigger, aftermarket alternator on a Challenger stated that removing the radiator top hose greatly expedites the procedure.

#11 ·
Just out of curiosity, why are you removing the alternator?

#13 ·
The alternator went out not charging Fionn & Red, yeah TiG that's what I thought but the tensioner it's right on the way of the alternator thru the top and it won't have enough space to come out thru the top and it's not even remotely possible thru the bottom

#16 ·
hellcat1 he just said it is because he has a tune, lower pulley, and headers and does not want to take it to dealer and void warranty.

#46 ·
Yes, the Magnuson-Moss act says that very thing BUT, with all those mods they could certainly give him a hard time about it. Even if they did replace the alternator under warranty, they could easily mark his file for any future warranty claims.....I would replace the alternator myself as well......

Reactions: hellcat1
#21 ·
Yea but if the lower pulley is an OD pulley they "could" claim that it overspun the alternator and caused the issue.

#22 ·
Yep even though the lower pulley only increases on the blower side they'll claim that's what caused it been there before, the alternator has to come out some how..... Just need like schematics or instruction from the dealer like when they do TSB fix other things

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.