SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
'23 C8 3LT Convertible Z51
3,651 Posts
Uconnect? Not that I’m aware of. I’m not paying any subscription for anything.
It's not mandatory, but UConnect still uses an archaic cell radio to enable the wifi hotspot that requires a separate AT&T cellular monthly subscription. If you don't pay for it, no wifi hotspot for you. At least with GM, that OnStar option enables not only OnStar, but all of your connected services. I use it and I think it's a pretty handy value. The monthly cost is far less than just the AT&T hotspot data plan... and this plan includes Sirius XM Premium, Onstar, all the cell phone connectivity, wifi hotspot with unlimited 5G data.

With GM, you have one subscription. To get the same out of a Hellcat, you have to have an AT&T subcription, a UConnect subscription, and a separate Sirius/XM subscription.

·
HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
12,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It's not mandatory, but UConnect still uses an archaic cell radio to enable the wifi hotspot that requires a separate AT&T cellular monthly subscription. If you don't pay for it, no wifi hotspot for you. At least with GM, that OnStar option enables not only OnStar, but all of your connected services. I use it and I think it's a pretty handy value. The monthly cost is far less than just the AT&T hotspot data plan... and this plan includes Sirius XM Premium, Onstar, all the cell phone connectivity, wifi hotspot with unlimited 5G data.

With GM, you have one subscription. To get the same out of a Hellcat, you have to have an AT&T subcription, a UConnect subscription, and a separate Sirius/XM subscription.
I dont need a hotspot so being forced into paying for one is not a value even if it’s a value. I also have no use for Sat radio, I listen to my own music exclusively. It’s only a value if have a need/want/use. At least with Uconnect I don't have to have it.

Reactions: Bobo

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I dont need a hotspot so being forced into paying for one is not a value even if it’s a value. I also have no use for Sat radio, I listen to my own music exclusively. It’s only a value if have a need/want/use. At least with Uconnect I don't have to have it.
Well, I live in Florida. The thing that sucks about living on a flat plane = cell towers don't have much reach. In my area, it's normal to never see more than 2 or 3 bars. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen 5 bars in NW FL... ever. My house is about 5 miles from the nearest 4G/5G tower and right now I have 1 bar. If I go out on the deck, I'll get 2.

·
Registered
A Van Down by the River
7,523 Posts
I agree that I don't like it. GM always pushes ONSTAR service when you buy a new GM vehicle, in fact the dealership gets graded on whether or not you call ONSTAR initially after your vehicle purchase. It has always been optional and I've never subscribed to their service even though I think it's a great service for those that want it. If GM feels the need to push this on everyone, they should eat the cost.

·
Registered
2022 Frostbite SS Ordered 03/24/22, DELIVERED 08/12/2022
496 Posts
So if you lease a vehicle, which is pretty much a subscription, you need an additional subscription to be able to use the features that come with the vehicle.

I have CAD software that I purchased almost 10 years ago, works great. These days you can't buy it; it is only available as an annual subscription. What's next? You need a subscription to run your lawn mower? Dishwasher? Furniture? Front door? Asphalt on the driveway?

a spokesperson said making customers pay for the service will “enhance [their] vehicle ownership experience.”

Enhance this GM!
Exactly, I bought Mastercam years ago for the simple reason there was no yearly fee! Low and behold once they got everyone hooked on it, now yearly maintenance fees! You also can’t skip years and only buy the upgrades you want like you used to, if you miss a year you have to pay for that one and the current one you want.

Oh and you will own nothing and be happy!!!

·
Registered
'19 Challenger Redeye
1,313 Posts
Toyota tried to do that just to have remote start. They got such a bad rap & blowback, they said forget it. For now........
True! I bought a brand new Tundra in '20, which came with all the Sirius XM and all the other stuff for a free 6 month trial. I knew I would lose the option of remote start using my phone when the free trial expired.....but I didn't expect to lose the ability to remote start my truck using the key fob too!!!

- The remote start using the key fob is kinda wonky anyways.....you need to push the "door lock" button on the FOB three times (perfectly timed) in order to remote start....then when you go to grab the door handle to get in the truck, THE ENGINE SHUTS DOWN and you have to re-start it after getting in. Probably a stupid feature added for "safety" and to prevent theft I assume.

- Lots of guys with these Toyotas ended up buying a aftermarket remote start system since the factory one is junk anyways...

·
Registered
2022 Frostbite SS Ordered 03/24/22, DELIVERED 08/12/2022
496 Posts
True! I bought a brand new Tundra in '20, which came with all the Sirius XM and all the other stuff for a free 6 month trial. I knew I would lose the option of remote start using my phone when the free trial expired.....but I didn't expect to lose the ability to remote start my truck using the key fob too!!!

- The remote start using the key fob is kinda wonky anyways.....you need to push the "door lock" button on the FOB three times (perfectly timed) in order to remote start....then when you go to grab the door handle to get in the truck, THE ENGINE SHUTS DOWN and you have to re-start it after getting in. Probably a stupid feature added for "safety" and to prevent theft I assume.

- Lots of guys with these Toyotas ended up buying a aftermarket remote start system since the factory one is junk anyways...
I have a 13 RAM 1500 Express, no options like that on it. I added a Viper Smart start the year I bought and it is the best remote start I've ever had. Starts from extreme distance without a subscription but you can use it and start from ANYWHERE if you want. I did have that service and tried it when I was in Arizona once, I had my wife watch the truck in NW Ohio while I started it from work in Arizona. It's kinda cool but not really that useful on the daily.

An APP I could go for is one that if by some chance your car was stolen you could log into it and drive it back home!! James Bond type shit, ya know;)

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
1,674 Posts
I agree that I don't like it. GM always pushes ONSTAR service when you buy a new GM vehicle, in fact the dealership gets graded on whether or not you call ONSTAR initially after your vehicle purchase. It has always been optional and I've never subscribed to their service even though I think it's a great service for those that want it. If GM feels the need to push this on everyone, they should eat the cost.
Agreed.
And then they released the MyChevy app (wife has had 4x newer Traverses) and at first it was free for 3 years, then it went down to one year, and now it's down to 1 MONTH of use on her 2022. (for like remote starts and other dumb stuff from your phone)
I would NEVER pay for it

·
HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
12,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Im not really a fan of using the phone to start the car. Just one more device to now deal with. My phone is set up to unlock with a code so I would need to hit the code, go to an app, navigate to the option. Fob seems like less work. I know, first world problems lol. I can see if the car is parked beyond the fob’s reach daily but in my case that is never the situation, and if it were it would be kind of rare anyway. The need isnt there for me personally.

·
Registered
In The Market
314 Posts
GM has bumped MSRP for 23’ Camaro another $300 for mandatory ONStar…. Brings to total to $2100, I believe. Gotta’ love these ‘mandatory options’ that I’m sure will be buried in the base price on the sticker.

I sent my build to the dealer last week. Supposed to find out more tomorrow, and I was surprised he didn’t ask for a deposit. BEST I could do was MSRP - $250, $500 educator rebate, and zero dealer fees. It’s a big dealer, that I suspect has plenty of allocations. I’ll have to drive 600miles to fetch it.

i mag deep six all my efforts over this. I will not pay a subscription fee on a car. I want to buy and own it!

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Dodge is doing the same thing. Charging for black interior and just about every exterior color. So if you want a Challenger (a new one) look at the window sticker for the added features ( there are none) but you are gonna pay!

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
It sucks that they make it mandatory, but I'm one of those people that does turn on everything on the car when I get it. So, it does save me some money, so yay for that. They make you buy it and turn it on, but Dodge just sells you "standard equipment" aka, the wifi hotspot, that won't do anything unless you buy a subscription to turn it on.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
383 Posts
Like others have said, I just won't even buy the car if I am forced to have those options. And for sure not for $1500. If they offered something else like a free detail every other month or something then I'd consider it.

Reactions: Slowpoke387
21 - 39 of 39 Posts