SRT Hellcat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,020 Posts
We have been in direct contact with Anderson Composites, at this time they were unable to provide us with the weight of this hood. We will check back every so often to see if they can provide us with the requested information.
We do know that the OEM Hellcat hood is about 10LBS.
- Alexis
So A.C. makes these hoods but can't tell you what they weigh?

Why am I not impressed with that? :rolleyes:

Reactions: DGatzby

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,020 Posts
The shipping weight from turn14 on this hood is 35lbs, the box/packing typically is 15-20lbs of that weight. Trying to narrow down the weight of this hood for you guys.
- Alexis
Well, this thread is getting as clear as mud ... o_O

Guys starting out asking what the CF hood weighs as against the factory hood, not what the boxed-up weight of the CF hood is for shipping cost purposes. ;)

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,302 Posts
Well, this thread is getting as clear as mud ... o_O

Guy starting out asking what the CF hood weighs as against the factory hood, not what the boxed-up weight of the CF hood is for shipping cost purposes. ;)
Oh c'mon cut him some slack, he doesnt have the weight so hes trying to at least give people something to go on. Its simple math ;)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,020 Posts
* * * You lose about 5 lbs overall. Def not the reason most people buy these unless they race and are shaving every last lb.
Did you ever race a muscle car? 5-lbs either way on the track is unnoticeable. Now, if you're an astronaut on the Jupiter II headed for Mars, ... sure, every ounce counts.

They just look trick is all.
Well, if you say so. It's your Cat, your money.

Look, esthetic taste is just that - personal and subjective. What one guy thinks is hot drooling foo-foo, another guy will look at and say, "Ah meh, blah," and roll his eyes, like so: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Did you ever race a muscle car? 5-lbs either way on the track is unnoticeable. Now, if you're an astronaut on the Jupiter II headed for Mars, ... sure, every ounce counts.

Well, if you say so. It's your Cat, your money.

Look, esthetic taste is just that - personal and subjective. What one guy thinks is hot drooling foo-foo, another guy will look at and say, "Ah meh, blah," and roll his eyes, like so: :rolleyes:
Lol i agree 100%, hence why i said its pretty much for looks and that no one is really buying these for weight savings. The occasional fanatic race guy who thinks it will help. Im not him.

·
Vendor
Challenger SRT 392
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
We are currently giving you guys all the information that is given to us by the manufacturer. I do wish they would just give us the weight, but if they do not give it to us - we are not going to make up numbers either.

The reason we are giving shipping weights etc is to help narrow down the weight of this hood. Is it going to be exact? No, but it will be in the ballpark.

For example, factory hood weighs 23.3 lbs. Shipping weight for one of those is 47 lbs. That can at least give you an idea on what this hood weighs, and that currently is really all the information we have on it.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
275 Posts
I emailed Anderson awhile ago about their parts. I was told that every part is hand made at the time of ordering so they cant give an exact weight.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,020 Posts
* * * I was told that every part is hand made at the time of ordering so they cant give an exact weight.
That makes zero sense. :confused:

So, ... Anderson's waits for an order to come in for, say, a CF hood; then they make it, throw it in a shipping container, and then push it out the door - all without knowing what the dimensional specs are or what the "net" (pre-container) weight is?

Look, this can't be the first one they've ever made, and likely they have prototypes, not to mention records or blueprints of the particular part. In fact, every aftermarket car-parts vendor I've dealt with typically keeps a "display" example of the particular body part (like, say, a trunk spoiler) somewhere around the shop, so one should be available to measure.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Make total sense to me. If theyre hand made there will always be differences in weight. Theyre not stamped out like metal. I do think they should at least have a range though. They surely must have to measure out their materials before the process and end up with an average final product weight. Maybe not the exact same weight every time but at least an average.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
986 Posts
My Anderson Composites carbon fiber hood (Challenger) gets delivered this coming Tuesday (4-4-17). I am having custom low pressure hood lifts made. More on that later. Will post when I have it all done. I am thinking about the 3 grills in the hood all in the same green color as the car.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
986 Posts
So, the hood was delivered Tuesday. Today I opened the box to see what it looked like. Its drop dead gorgeous. Haven't even wiped it down.
I have a factory Hellcat hood lift I am sending to a company that makes custom hood lifts. I will order a pair with greatly reduced pressure to use with the CF hood.
So cant put it on the car until I have those. Also have the Mopar pin kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Wow that looks gorgeous. Im really surprised there isnt at least an optional lift kit pre-made available though. Kind of like ordering a meal to go with no utencils.

·
Vendor
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,030 Posts
So, the hood was delivered Tuesday. Today I opened the box to see what it looked like. Its drop dead gorgeous. Haven't even wiped it down.
I have a factory Hellcat hood lift I am sending to a company that makes custom hood lifts. I will order a pair with greatly reduced pressure to use with the CF hood.
So cant put it on the car until I have those. Also have the Mopar pin kit.
Beautiful photo of the hood! Can't wait to see pics of it installed. Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
986 Posts
Wow that looks gorgeous. Im really surprised there isnt at least an optional lift kit pre-made available though. Kind of like ordering a meal to go with no utencils.
Once I have the exact correct pressure custom hood lifts, I can supply a part number and anyone can then just order them. It might take a couple of try's to nail it perfect, but these things aren't really very expensive.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
150 Posts
TMAC was going to post the part numbers for the hood lifts. And no one posted on the fit and function of the hood.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts