SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
392 charger here and pretty sure I killed my rotors this weekend at the dragon. Brake pedal and car pulsate more and more as the brakes get hot and Def faded on one of the runs.

Stock front 107k mile rotors with z26 pads. Rear rotors were changed bout 10k miles ago to centric oem style replacements. Z26 pads out back too.

Ordered centric 2 piece front rotor replacements and was thinking of doing either hp plus or stoptech sport pads all around. Which should I do?

I drive aggressively on the street but never track it.

Dragon was a lot of fun in the tug boat. If you haven't you need too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Daytona 392
89 Posts
Z26 pads aren't great for spirited driving. Different chassis, but I had a good experience with HPS 5.0 when they were first on the market. A bit dusty, but could tolerate anything short of track use without issue.

Reactions: Bill the 'cat

·
Registered
12 Posts
I threw in the OEM despite the brake dust, same centric two piece rotors. I received two wrong orders from stop tech on the hellcat pads and got tired of shipping times trying to get the right pads. If you find some that fit and post the correct part # if you go that route that would be great!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
519 Posts
I put the EBC yellow pads on my 19 RE and like the lower brake dust and the upgrade in stopping power over the Brembo .Way,Way better then the Z26 pads . I had the EBC red pads on the 15 Scat Pack and zero brake dust was great but the Brembo was better in the track use of the car.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thickness of rotors? I'll be heading there in October! :)
Not sure thickness but high mileage. Went hp plus. The z26 got scary towards the end. Did not help the group I was with had a Gt3 rs, Gt3, race prepped M3 e46, New type arrrrrrr, newer m3, couple nice S2ks. I was the only tug boat.

Everyone got a kick out of me sawing at the wheel up and down the mountain. V8 sounds filling the air. On the dashboard pulled 1g braking and turning lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
234 Posts
Stay away from the cheap/no dust pads. Your 392 is still a very fast heavy car and you need all the brakes that you can get. The stock Brembo pad does dust a lot but also has good feel, fade resistance, and torque.

Honestly my rec is for the hawk auto cross pad or the G-loc auto cross pads. They dust less than the stock brembo but offer more feel and will never fade at any kind of resbonsible speed on the street.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
917 Posts
Ditto, because I think the Z26 is Ceramic which is no good for track work. Semi-metallic all the way.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker (B5 Blue)
12 Posts
I stick with the Brembo pads on my Scat Pack. Even though they produce more brake dust, they have a lot more bite than the power stops.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody
459 Posts
The stock Brembos faded bad for me, and tapered significantly on Sebring. Oddly, the rear pads were GONE after one weekend at Sebring and about 11000 miles of street. Hawk 70 (track pad) work extremely well and wear evenly so far, and dust way, way less than OE pads. The Hawk 70s also wear qlmost perfectly even all the way around the car. They are $484 a set from Tire Rack and may last 7 days on Sebring at 4 x 25-30 minute sessions a day. They still work fine on the street to and from the track, but recommend against them for the street daily, overkill and you need better tires than P-Zeros because they cannot hold. PS4S hold.
Also remember, if you are constantly on the nannies, they are applying brakes too, which generates a lot of heat. Driver technique has something to do with it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
20210420_120727.jpg
This is after driving 140 miles to, a full weekend at Sebring and a 140 mile drive home in the rain. The OE Brembos dust this much going to the store and back. Oh yea, this is the 315/35ZR20 PS4S. .8" taller tire than stock P-Zero summer.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
914 Posts
I could not get Hawk HPS 5.0 pads to stop squeaking on my 2015 SRT Jeep, so I’m reluctant to try their stuff on my Hellcat. But, that is quite a reduction in dust for sure. I’m leaning toward trying the EBC YellowStuff pads next and hope for a similar reduction in dust vs the OEM Brembos.

·
Registered
459 Posts
These Hawk 70 track pads are squeaky, no doubt another reason not to use them on the street...and the fact the work best when kept hot in a temp range (like ~600°-1200°F), hard to do on the street, but man they stop! I am using the Z26s on the street, no dust and I have not had them fade on me yet, although I don't push them on the street. I might try Stop Tech pads next time for street. I do use Z26s on our other daily drivers with good results.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've had good luck with EBC reds on our Viper for dust. Our HC will never be tracked or raced. The stock pads are duster than I need.

What would be the choice between Z26 pads or EBC reds for street use?

Other recommendations?

·
Registered
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
914 Posts
If you’re not hearing them up at all, the Z26 will probably be fine. But after a couple of straight-line events and spirited street driving, I was getting some pad transfer onto the rotors from them and went back to the factory Brembo pads this spring.

I have no experience with the EBC pads, but the red pads are ceramic like the Z26, so assume the same would be true.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I cannot advise on that comparison, but my only concern with the Z26s is they seem to put hot spots on the rotors. Not sure how they can do that, as they stop fine on the street.
I saw a recommendation and made note of these for future reference. StopTech pads fronts...#308.14051 for street (not sure of a matching rear set number). Again, I haven't confirmed, but the guy who recommended them seemed to understand what he was recommending.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
917 Posts
Driving like a grandma, Z26. Personally, if I had to buy, I'd buy Autozone ceramic for putting around the city. Centric makes goos semi-metallic that stop good and aren't dirty.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
234 Posts
My advise, stay away from ceramics and cheap pads like Z26. You have a car with more HP than most super cars and weights 2x as much. These cars need great tires and great brakes. Porsche even sent out on various social media platforms a few years ago that you had to expect squeaks and dust.

ceramic pads hate heat these beasts generate tons of heat due to the rate of speed they can achieve and sheer mass of the cars.

Hate dust, ceramic coat your wheels and wipe them down after every drive. A pain sure, but better than the pain your wallet and body would feel if you run out of brakes at the wrong time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts