SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start off I should mention I run a (4) 275 set up and on stock wheels. No staggered setup.

I know there are lots of past posts discussing this and I think we all seem to agree the mich ps4 and conti’s are the best reviewed.
But I wanted to see if anyone has tried the Yokohama adven apex v601 because those don’t get mentioned as much, but apparently are serious contenders for one of the best right behind the pilots.

I also see tons of posts from back in 2016 about Indy 500 Firestone firehawks where people loved them, and that’s my favorite looking tread and sidewall, but those were reviews from people paying a fraction of what tire rack now wants for them (230 per). Sounded like they were good tires despite the lower speed rating.
So as I delegate my Pirelli’s To all season duty I find myself deciding between ps4, apexv601, and firehawks for summer. PI know the conti’s should be in that conversation but I had them on a different car and they were
Nothing special in my opinion.
Any thoughts or opinions on my summer tire dilemma would be great. Would love to hear what everyone else is running for summer and how much they have like them

Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
31 Posts
I will let you know in about a week or so. I got mine in staggered format and I am keeping the stockers for daily driving. The hellcat in 500 hp mode seems to work just fine with the stock tires and wheels. This is where I keep mine on the street.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have had Pirelli orig equip, Firehawks and Nitto Invo's--the Firehawks wear well, the Pirelli's balance out best and the INVO's were best all around--with the INVO's on my Redeye I used 315's on all 4 corners!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
708 Posts
If money is no object, the best tire on the planet is the Michelin PS4S. Period. Not up for discussion. The only downside is cost. They are also usually one of, if not the most expensive tire. For bang-for-your-buck, Firestone Firehawks. I can get them around $200 per at 275 to 285 widths. $240 for 305s. Mounted and installed. The Michelin's are around $400, all in for 305s when I checked last. The Michelins last longer, drive quieter, and have superior performance to almost every other tire in every measurable statistic, wet or dry. My fav is that the PS4S summer tire has a better grip rating in the rain than the Pirelli all season does in dry conditions. That's literally how good those tires are.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very good information Xylander, thanks for sharing. I was thinking Firehawks but I may have to rethink it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
708 Posts
I will have to give the PS4S a whirl on my factory wheels. Thanks for the info @Xylander
No problem :) I'll be switching to Michelin Pilot All Seasons on my Hellcat in the next month or two. I've ran nothing but Michelins on all of my performance cars I've owned for the past 6 years. They're fantastic. The only reason I haven't done it yet on the Hellcat is it's such a new car, and I paid for these stupid tires and I'm going get at least a year out of them ;)

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
477 Posts
I started a similar thread:

PS4S 305/35ZR20 on “nationwide backorder” for “6-9”...

Based on all info at the time I ordered 305 PS4S for my NB rear back in Jan, but the delivery kept getting pushed out, now late May. I bought the Firehawk and just dropped them today at the dealer for mounting. I think I would have preferred the PS4S, but something about a cheap tire makes me feel like I will be more comfortable pushing them and they might just be more fun.

I will update my thread after I drive the tires. Also, the extent I traveled to make matching (somewhat) Granite Pocket wheels.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,892 Posts
...but something about a cheap tire makes me feel like I will be more comfortable pushing them and they might just be more fun.
I got the Firehawks almost immediately after getting the 'Cat. Never thought I'd ever buy anything Firestone, but I'm very happy with them. As I recall, they were quite true and delivered really low road force numbers.

But whatever you do, do not try to drive on hard packed snow or ice with them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just switched out the original stock Pirellis. Only had 5K (2016) on them but were 5 years old and rears were down to 2/32. Replaced with these BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2's. Was between these and the Firehawks.
Seem to look a little wider than the Pirellis but same 275/40/20 size. Got them at Discount Tire for $205 each, out the door $999.
Ride home was with Black Key but felt very planted...

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
The Comp2 are not bad tires. I had them on my 392 after I burned off the stock tires in 8300 miles. They rode better but the tread is so thick it felt like the car raised up a bit. LOL Mine only lasted a little of 9K miles. I don't do burn outs or race my car but I do like to slide around. I put the Extreme Contact Sports on the 392 and they had about 18k miles on them when I sold the car and were still working as new and had lots of tread.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Comp2 are not bad tires. I had them on my 392 after I burned off the stock tires in 8300 miles. They rode better but the tread is so thick it felt like the car raised up a bit. LOL Mine only lasted a little of 9K miles. I don't do burn outs or race my car but I do like to slide around. I put the Extreme Contact Sports on the 392 and they had about 18k miles on them when I sold the car and were still working as new and had lots of tread.
Looks like about a 1/2" taller. I have new Pirelli as a spare and compared. Thats a bonus for me because the spoiler was close to scraping on driveway...this gives me a little breathing room now :)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,892 Posts
Looks like about a 1/2" taller.
You have to look at the static loaded radius to get the true height from ground to axle center.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have about 3,500 miles on my Michelin PS4s and love them. I think I was just under $1,400 include road force balance and installation. They are quiet and now that the weather here has warmed up, they stay hooked up very well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a small update on the Yokohama adven apex v601

I just got them on the car and took it for a short ride. I can say right off the bat they are much smoother than the stock tires. The roads here are a little damp, so stickiness is hard to tell. I am headed down to street race(legally) in a couple hours and I am hopeful they stick much better than the factory tires do.

I went with 305's on the rear and stock size on the front. No rubbing (yet)

I will update with the results from racing.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm looking at a wheel with similar specs as 20x11 bravados but with 11.5-12 in width and 21mm BS with 345/30/20 and lil devil flares

·
Registered
31 Posts
So after some tire burning and testing I think the yokohama apex 601s aren't too bad. I was street racing (legally) from a roll or a dig. At 35+lbs they go up in smoke at pretty much any speed. At 30 lbs they started to hook at 30ish mph+ and at 27lbs they were really quite decent. They didn't like being heated up too much (what tire does).

So for their price I may buy them again. I am hoping to get some time on the 1/4 mile prepped surface tomorrow and I will report back with those results as well.

Videos to come.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
708 Posts
So after some tire burning and testing I think the yokohama apex 601s aren't too bad. I was street racing (legally) from a roll or a dig. At 35+lbs they go up in smoke at pretty much any speed. At 30 lbs they started to hook at 30ish mph+ and at 27lbs they were really quite decent. They didn't like being heated up too much (what tire does).

So for their price I may buy them again. I am hoping to get some time on the 1/4 mile prepped surface tomorrow and I will report back with those results as well.

Videos to come.
With Michelins, you can race from a dig ;) Sorry, had to fanboi that out there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts