SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Anubody Had Their Factory Warranty Denied Due to a Diff Brace?

5K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Bhdau1 
#1 ·
Hey all,

My HC is stock with the exception of wheels, tires and a few cosmetic items. Am planning on adding a diff brace, but I've been told that technically speaking, if I add the diff brace, it voids the factory warranty. Silly if you ask me as a brace arguably helps prevent differential failure.

Another HC owner that I know that has a diff brace installed l, took his car to his dealership and they said that it's not an issue (for that dealership anyway).

So the bug question is if any of you have had your drive train warranty claim denied due to having a diff brace installed?

#2 ·
Hey all,

My HC is stock with the exception of wheels, tires and a few cosmetic items. Am planning on adding a diff brace, but I've been told that technically speaking, if I add the diff brace, it voids the factory warranty. Silly if you ask me as a brace arguably helps prevent differential failure.

Another HC owner that I know that has a diff brace installed l, took his car to his dealership and they said that it's not an issue (for that dealership anyway).

So the bug question is if any of you have had your drive train warranty claim denied due to having a diff brace installed?
The dealership can deny it because it’s a modification to the drive train. You can fight it in court if the brace didn’t cause the issue but that would take time and money. The best thing to do is talk to your servicing dealership and see how they view it before you do it.

#4 ·
Well, they can't just void your warranty for the heck of it. First off, there will have to be damage and a warranty claim. Secondly, they have to show that the mod CAUSED the damage; ECM mod, blown engine, etc. It's the Magnuson-Moss warranty act? I can't imagine how an added brace would be connected with anything other than a blown differential. I guess I'd ask why you'd do this if you can just leave it as be, blow it, and have them fix it since it's stock???????????

#10 ·
I see this type of post a lot and it's the worst advice a person can give. "Do whatever you want, they have to prove the modification caused the damage". Prove? Prove to who? There is no "warranty court" that FCA has to go to to prove the modification caused the damage before they deny your warranty repair, they will simply deny the warranty repair and you can engage a lawyer or go to arbitration (depending on your state) but either is going to exceed the value of the repair. And, as has been pointed out, the dealer has no say, FCA requests from the dealer data logs, photos and videos and, if the repair exceeds $5,000, will send out an adjuster.

#5 ·
It’s happened often
Go search
Many lost their warranty due to that brace
That brace causes the rear end to break

#7 ·
When it comes to warranty claims, the dealer can only do what they are told and approved by FCA/Stellantis. I had this conversation with my dealer when my engine dropped a valve and locked the motor. The warranty approval or denial comes from FCA/Stellantis. Many times, the Dealer is instructed to take pictures of certain car parts/areas and send in for evaluation. In my case, had I pinned the crank or changed the air box, FCA/Stellantis would have denied the $20K motor replacement.

And as someone said above, there is nothing about these cars that needs modification and don't trust that guy who tells you to do mods just because.... just drive the car as is.

Best!

#8 ·
This is why you pay to play. A dealer can claim all they want that they will cover modifications, but as mentioned above, it's FCA doing the warranty, not the dealer. The dealer just acts as a middle-man. Unless you have it in legal writing that the dealer itself is going to cover modifications, they are lying to you if they say anything otherwise.

#9 ·
It only becomes a problem when something breaks and you bring it in. Or when you bring it in with offending mods and they preemptively void your warranty in accordance with corporate policy.

Performance modifications are a serious no-no. Some mechanical modifications (tires, direct replacement components, exhaust) are hit or miss. And cosmetic mods are again discretionary depending upon how invasive they are.

For the one time I took my car to dealer for warranty work I removed anything detectable that fit into the first two categories (less my Barton) before taking it in. Including my diff brace.

Remember to be polite and keep your f*cking mouth shut when dropping the car off. Keep your ego in check and don't brag about your shitty little bolt-ons.

#16 ·
I don't know what "regular courts" are but most auto warranties state that, unless prohibited in your state, you have to go to binding arbitration. Costs of binding arbitration vary but the one I specify in my business contracts start at $4500, not including attorney. And attorneys that take on big corporations are going to cost in the $400-550 range, per hour.

#14 ·
Dealer installed my diff brace for me!

#17 ·
Technically yes a diff brace does void warranty. Some dealerships, depending on them, may or may not be ok with it.

If you don't have a diff brace and happen to damage the differential due to a twisted driveshaft or what not, then you will have to fight tooth and nail with them to fix the damage under warranty. According to them that kind of damage isn't covered that you were trying to protect all along with the diff brace which seems ridiculous.

I would say if it makes you feel comfortable get a diff brace to protect the differential for peace of mind and you can always take it off before bringing the car to service and install it back on when you're done with the dealership.

That way you can have your cake and eat it too.

#20 ·
The last time I took my 21 HC to the dealer, the service manager said the team who manages the Demon parts is now overseeing all warranty work on Hellcats no matter whats wrong. They are asking for all kinds of pics, information and readouts from the car now. They have to fully approve the warranty work and have completely taken the decision out of the hands of the dealer. So they are going to say absolutely no to anything thats changed. I waited 5 weeks for the whole process to complete when they did the axles for my hellcat. It was a pain in the ass. Had to bring the car back twice before I was even sure the parts were going to be warrantied. This is the new world with these cars. You want a factory muscle car and a warranty, you'd better leave it alone if you want Dodge to pay for work.

#21 ·
I get buying an 800hp car with a warranty.
I get buying an 800hp car for the track.
What I dont get is changing/modifying/tracking said 800hp car and when it breaks (and it will eventually) expecting someone else to fix your car. Once someone sees any mods even if it not related to the breakage all credibility is lost.
FYI most people don’t know how Magnuson Moss really works.

#22 ·
If you put the brace on it the diff will definitely be less likely to break. That has been proven out on these forums and elsewhere. The good news it that the braces are easily removable and do not permanently change anything. So if the diff blows up, tow the car to your home, remove the brace, tow the car to the dealer and no one is the wiser. Just save the factory bolts and keep them in your tool/parts chest where you can find them if needed. Seems pretty simple as there is no electronic signature nor are there any modifications required to mount one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.