SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm expecting my RE/WB to be delivered to me Tuesday after a week long trip across the country (VA to OR) on a trailer.
From what I've read, and my own personal experience owning some performance cars over the years (Viper, ZR1, Cobra, etc), any car with over 500hp makes it tough to get traction on the street trying to launch from a dead stop. I have to believe 797hp must only compound that problem.
I have no intention of modifying my car from an engine performance perspective. But I would like to get it to hook up on a street launch as much as physics will allow. So, from what I've read so far, better tires seem to be the way to accomplish this. And I have been reading all the wheel/tire threads to collect as many opinions as possible on what works best. And my reading leads me to believe the consensus is either drag radials/DOT slicks or REALLY wide Michelin PS4S tires are the right answer.
All that said, getting the car to hook up on launch using better tires will obviously add stress to other powertrain components. Hence the question in my thread title. If I change the wheels/tires, what other components need to be modified, if any, to deal with this added stress? Have any of you Redeye owners broken any parts with only traction improvements? If so, which ones? Or if not, did you make any modifications to prevent damage? Or is the car good to go as-is from the factory?

Edit to add: I have the 3.09 gears.

·
DRIVESRT.COM
4,621 Posts
I'm expecting my RE/WB to be delivered to me today or tomorrow after a week long trip across the country (VA to OR) on a trailer.
From what I've read, and my own personal experience owning some performance cars over the years (Viper, ZR1, Cobra, etc), any car with over 500hp makes it tough to get traction on the street trying to launch from a dead stop. I have to believe 797hp must only compound that problem.
I have no intention of modifying my car from an engine performance perspective. But I would like to get it to hook up on a street launch as much as physics will allow. So, from what I've read so far, better tires seem to be the way to accomplish this. And I have been reading all the wheel/tire threads to collect as many opinions as possible on what works best. And my reading leads me to believe the consensus is either drag radials/DOT slicks or REALLY wide Michelin PS4S tires are the right answer.
All that said, getting the car to hook up on launch using better tires will obviously add stress to other powertrain components. Hence the question in my thread title. If I change the wheels/tires, what other components need to be modified, if any, to deal with this added stress? Have any of you Redeye owners broken any parts with only traction improvements? If so, which ones? Or if not, did you make any modifications to prevent damage? Or is the car good to go as-is from the factory?
It'll be good to go. Redeye's have a beefed up drivetrain vs. Hellcat. If you're switching wheels, higher weight over stock will add stress to unsprung weight.
Toyo R888r and Nitto 555r for tires; downside is they like warm (+50 deg F) weather.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. Yesterday for the first time I put my foot into the firewall in 3rd and had to immediately back off because the rearend was in the other lane. I stopped and dropped the pressure in the rears to 26 PSI and it didn't help at all. I'm thinking I'll throw some Pilot Sports on it and see what happens. I could get those to dead hook on my 17 Z06 at 25 PSI. Mine also has the 3.09's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
200+ views, and the only recommendation is to add a differential brace.
So I'm safe to assume the transmission, drive shaft, and half shafts, etc., are all capable of handling slicks on the rear. Very cool!
Thanks for the input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts