SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat M6 and I'd like to know if it's possible to run FLEXFUEL. I checked on Tim Barth's website and it said their FLEXFUEL tune is only for automatics. Idk if thats because its not possible. Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,338 Posts
I own a 2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat M6 and I'd like to know if it's possible to run FLEXFUEL. I checked on Tim Barth's website and it said their FLEXFUEL tune is only for automatics. Idk if thats because its not possible. Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
You're tuning the engine not the car. Yes you can run Flex Fuel on any car as long as you have the components. Maybe find a different tuner?

R.K.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I have a 16 M6, just did flex tune started in September. Mild tune so far netted 930 HP with a 2.85 upper only on ID1050x with dual 285 Tapped Performance fuel pump set up.
50A7E735-69B2-43D8-A782-B6603ED92DA0.jpeg
You tuned yet or stock?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 16 M6, just did flex tune started in September. Mild tune so far netted 930 HP with a 2.85 upper only on ID1050x with dual 285 Tapped Performance fuel pump set up. View attachment 564957 You tuned yet or stock?

Niiiice! Hungry for HP!
No tune yet. I just bought the following (below) and will be installing next week. I was thinking FLEXFUEL would be better/safer so I don't have to worry about ethanol ratio or switching between 2 tunes (E85&93). Is this correct? And would I still have to run Dual pumps and upgrade my fuel system if I get the advanced fuel dynamics Proflex Commander (attached below)? Trying to choose the best cost effective way to run E85. Going to purchase 1300 injectors. Preferably FIC (most cost effective) but have to find a tuner that works with Diablosport, FIC injectors, and with a FLEXFUEL tune. I was hoping with Tim Barth so probably going to have to bite the bullet and get the ID1300 inj.

Mods:
LMI
ATI 10% Lower Pulley
METCO 2.85 Upper
METCO Idler/Bracket
GATES HD Belt
Thermostat 160°
Diablosport Trinity² Plat
Going to purchase 1300 injectors. Preferably FIC (most cost effective) but have to find a tuner that works with Diablosport, FIC injectors, and with a FLEXFUEL tune.

Attachments

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
349 Posts
I have a 2016 M6 car on a Flex Fuel tune........2.85 pulley, FIC 1200's, Gasohol Dual Pumps Curt Dusterhoff tuned. Car made 834 at the wheels on a Mustang Dyno.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
117 Posts
On my CTS-V I can switch between 93 octane and E85 anytime I want, it’s a 100% flex.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I was under the impression that wasn’t possible on the Hellcats and that you would need 2 separate tunes.

Please tell me I’m wrong because this is one of the occasions where being wrong would be good thing.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
349 Posts
On my CTS-V I can switch between 93 octane and E85 anytime I want, it’s a 100% flex.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I was under the impression that wasn’t possible on the Hellcats and that you would need 2 separate tunes.

Please tell me I’m wrong because this is one of the occasions where being wrong would be good thing.
You are wrong :) I can fill my car up with 93, E85, or a mix of both and not have to change the tune.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
349 Posts
Gives me hope! 😁 Unfortunately I already unlocked my OEM PCM for Diablo and have a Diablo Trinity Tuner... Curt only uses HP tuners I believe... 😒
Yeah he only tunes via HP. Good luck with the build man!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Gives me hope! 😁 Unfortunately I already unlocked my OEM PCM for Diablo and have a Diablo Trinity Tuner... Curt only uses HP tuners I believe... 😒
On a 15 and 16 once PCM is unlocked it can be tuned with either DS or HPT. My original tune was is DS, pulled it in HPT, added the Flex portions, and bingo it’s happy. The most important part of the tune is getting the injectors dialed in tight on 93 so when you switch to corn the computer uses inference with the O2 sensors to the calculate ethanol content. You have any friends decent with HPT you can get a flex tune sample from someone and just tweak it for your car. The engine part is the simple part to someone who had been through the process. trans tuning an automatic is where the skill is at but with a sample tune an auto can be tuned close enough the same way also. What your going to get from most every tuner is a canned tune that then is tweaked dialed in for your car, what you expect, and how much time and money you have. It’s a racket, I’ve chatted with guys that their tuners charged $150 to make basic changes to their tunes that once you see how it’s done you’ll see the racket it is. Now if your a serious racer looking for every hundredth here there and every where, know nothing about working with HPT, don’t have time to research and learn about it and you have deep pockets by all means send the car to them to do it. A Email flex tune will try your patience like no other and takes weeks, months even depending on your ability to gather data and wait for replies and revisions and tip toe through not pissing a premadona tuner off and paying even more for being a pain or classified difficult customer. But If your just looking for extra street power and not every ounce of power you can get you can save yourself thousands, but screw up and you’ll spend thousands more. The best is a mix of both and get to know how it all works so you can do small stuff yourself which there’s only one way to get there is do it!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On a 15 and 16 once PCM is unlocked it can be tuned with either DS or HPT. My original tune was is DS, pulled it in HPT, added the Flex portions, and bingo it’s happy. The most important part of the tune is getting the injectors dialed in tight on 93 so when you switch to corn the computer uses inference with the O2 sensors to the calculate ethanol content. You have any friends decent with HPT you can get a flex tune sample from someone and just tweak it for your car. The engine part is the simple part to someone who had been through the process. trans tuning an automatic is where the skill is at but with a sample tune an auto can be tuned close enough the same way also. What your going to get from most every tuner is a canned tune that then is tweaked dialed in for your car, what you expect, and how much time and money you have. It’s a racket, I’ve chatted with guys that their tuners charged $150 to make basic changes to their tunes that once you see how it’s done you’ll see the racket it is. Now if your a serious racer looking for every hundredth here there and every where, know nothing about working with HPT, don’t have time to research and learn about it and you have deep pockets by all means send the car to them to do it. A Email flex tune will try your patience like no other and takes weeks, months even depending on your ability to gather data and wait for replies and revisions and tip toe through not pissing a premadona tuner off and paying even more for being a pain or classified difficult customer. But If your just looking for extra street power and not every ounce of power you can get you can save yourself thousands, but screw up and you’ll spend thousands more. The best is a mix of both and get to know how it all works so you can do small stuff yourself which there’s only one way to get there is do it!!
At this point, after doing what I think is a lot of research, my plan is to add dual pump system and id1300 injectors to my list. Then get a flexfuel tune from Barth Tuning. His tune includes this " Proflex Commander " that enables you to run Flexfuel (It says without a tune so I'm guessing that the tune from Barth would be to get this and all my other mods to work together without problems) for $1400. Check it out with the link I copy and pasted below. 🔽🔽🔽🔽

I'm wondering if all my mods + the Powerflex Commander and 1300d inj will work together with a tune. What do you think? Will they work without a tune?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is a direct link to Powerflex Commander for the Challenger Hellcat.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
At this point, after doing what I think is a lot of research, my plan is to add dual pump system and id1300 injectors to my list. Then get a flexfuel tune from Barth Tuning. His tune includes this " Proflex Commander " that enables you to run Flexfuel (It says without a tune so I'm guessing that the tune from Barth would be to get this and all my other mods to work together without problems) for $1400. Check it out with the link I copy and pasted below. 🔽🔽🔽🔽

I'm wondering if all my mods + the Powerflex Commander and 1300d inj will work together with a tune. What do you think? Will they work without a tune?
With a true flex tune in the PCM you don’t need that device. You will need a tune with the change in pulleys and injectors so you mine as well get a true flex tune which for 1400$ is about what I think OST charges for such. If your not familiar with how this all intertwines with each other your best letting a tuner handle it all and follow their advice. With the power these engines make even stock screw up the tune and you’ll burn a piston or put a rod through the block in a heart beat

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With a true flex tune in the PCM you don’t need that device. You will need a tune with the change in pulleys and injectors so you mine as well get a true flex tune which for 1400$ is about what I think OST charges for such. If your not familiar with how this all intertwines with each other your best letting a tuner handle it all and follow their advice. With the power these engines make even stock screw up the tune and you’ll burn a piston or put a rod through the block in a heart beat
Right on bruddah! I will take head to your advice. It's much appreciated. 🤙🤙🤙

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
117 Posts
You are wrong :) I can fill my car up with 93, E85, or a mix of both and not have to change the tune.
Thanks greasy, that’s exactly the answer I was hoping for. It made my day to read it.

Pending installation I have a 2.5 grip tech pulley, ID1300 injectors and an FI chiller to help with the high IAT’s that pulley will generate. The only thin missing are the upgraded fuel pumps, I’m still shopping around for those. The car will be strictly corn fed cat since I have 4 E85 gas stations within a 6 mile radius of my house. Actually Houston Raceway Park is also 6 miles from my house. The 2.5 pulley won’t support 93 octane but I was hoping for mild tune just for drivability purposes not be flooring it or doing anything silly that will make the engine go boom.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
349 Posts
Thanks greasy, that’s exactly the answer I was hoping for. It made my day to read it.

Pending installation I have a 2.5 grip tech pulley, ID1300 injectors and an FI chiller to help with the high IAT’s that pulley will generate. The only thin missing are the upgraded fuel pumps, I’m still shopping around for those. The car will be strictly corn fed cat since I have 4 E85 gas stations within a 6 mile radius of my house. Actually Houston Raceway Park is also 6 miles from my house. The 2.5 pulley won’t support 93 octane but I was hoping for mild tune just for drivability purposes not be flooring it or doing anything silly that will make the engine go boom.
Good luck with the build! E85 is pretty abundant up here in Chicago when they move to summer blend. That’s all I put in the car until they make to switch to winter blend in late October. Then it is onto 93 which is good because I don’t want to store the car with corn in it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts