SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2021 HC charger in black that I'm trying to be proactive with and get coated right away. I went to a really well regarded installer in my area that has done a couple thousand Ceramic Pro jobs over the past few years. He wasn't trying to sway me one way or another, but he took a lot of time explaining a new "self-healing" coating to me. It's a brand called "Revivify." (revivifycoatings.com) Apparently they are pretty popular in Asia and in Canada and trying to gain traction with more installers in the US. Supposedly the product is SILICONE based vs SILICON. As swirl marks and fine scratches appear, you're supposed to be able to blend them away with a heat gun or even the heat from the sun takes care of them. My installer seems to thoroughly believe in the product and thinks it's the next big thing. Also comes with the same 5yr warranty for the 2 coat system. Problem is...he's personally only installed it twice!

Has anyone used this product or similar? My dilemma is going with tried and true vs something new that could possibly be better!

·
Registered
Chargers: 08 SRT, 19 Hellcat, 21 Redeye
21 Posts
I had an appointment with a ceramic guy tomorrow who said he was going to apply that. (Except now I have to get the factory carbon fiber stripes redone :mad: so gotta delay.

Also, ceramic is just for shine and easy cleaning. No impact protection, just fallout/droppings.

I don't like the protective film because it isn't as shiney and stains with droppings easily.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,284 Posts
I can’t tell the PPF surface on my bumpers, door bottoms or flairs except they are more easy to clean, and protected from impact. They shine just as well.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
125 Posts
I have ppf and ceramic coat on my car and it is a awesome investment. I say it's a must do to anyone who cares about their ride in the slightest. Worth every penny easily.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I had an appointment with a ceramic guy tomorrow who said he was going to apply that. (Except now I have to get the factory carbon fiber stripes redone :mad: so gotta delay.

Also, ceramic is just for shine and easy cleaning. No impact protection, just fallout/droppings.

I don't like the protective film because it isn't as shiney and stains with droppings easily.
Your opinion may likely be outdated. Both Xpel and STEK in particular make very good films, and they do not stain.

I don't quite see the point in getting a car ceramic coated if you don't at least PPF the high-impact areas. Because great, you'll have a coated car, but still be getting littered with rock chips. If I didn't care about rock chips and didn't have PPF, i'd just bring the thing through the automatic wash once a month and call it a day. Who gives a crap about swirls when you're getting rock chips on every drive?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies thus far everyone! I will check into the film for maybe the front end. I thought that the film gets expensive pretty quick depending on the area and how intricate. I usually try to be extremely careful about tailgating and what I'm riding behind to avoid stone chips. I'm looking at the coatings simply to make cleaning easier. I had a Corvette years ago that had water spots on top of water spots even though I did my best to wash and dry properly. With the black car, I'm just trying to avoid water spots and swirls the best I can. This newer technology "self-healing" coating is very interesting to me, but again... I'm worried about trying something that's not tried and true on such an expensive car. So far it seems like only one person that was scheduled to have it put on, but I haven't heard from anyone that actually has a track record with it (or similar product).

·
Registered
2021 Reactor Blue Durango Hellcat
76 Posts
Thanks for the replies thus far everyone! I will check into the film for maybe the front end. I thought that the film gets expensive pretty quick depending on the area and how intricate. I usually try to be extremely careful about tailgating and what I'm riding behind to avoid stone chips. I'm looking at the coatings simply to make cleaning easier. I had a Corvette years ago that had water spots on top of water spots even though I did my best to wash and dry properly. With the black car, I'm just trying to avoid water spots and swirls the best I can. This newer technology "self-healing" coating is very interesting to me, but again... I'm worried about trying something that's not tried and true on such an expensive car. So far it seems like only one person that was scheduled to have it put on, but I haven't heard from anyone that actually has a track record with it (or similar product).
I didn't see anyone mention it, but you can have the ceramic coating on top of the PPF and it will really make it shine/easy to clean. Some do, some don't for that, really up to your preference and how much you want to pay. Just know that PPF is a lot more expensive than ceramic coating, but will last longer depending on the type you get such as Xpel Ultimate comes with a 10 year warranty.

PPF is definitely tried and true on expensive vehicles. The dealer I go to for PPF posts a lot of his work on his stores FaceBook page. Lately its been a lot of C8's, but does a lot of exotics as well. The biggest thing is to find a good PPF installer, as they'll make the difference on cost and how it's installed.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,395 Posts
PPF is the way to go if you want ultimate protection against chips.

Reactions: RustyColt84

·
Registered
Chargers: 08 SRT, 19 Hellcat, 21 Redeye
21 Posts
Your opinion may likely be outdated. Both Xpel and STEK in particular make very good films, and they do not stain.

I don't quite see the point in getting a car ceramic coated if you don't at least PPF the high-impact areas. Because great, you'll have a coated car, but still be getting littered with rock chips. If I didn't care about rock chips and didn't have PPF, i'd just bring the thing through the automatic wash once a month and call it a day. Who gives a crap about swirls when you're getting rock chips on every drive?
Sooo...
You are right,
Getting xpel & ceramic now

·
Registered
388 Posts
I didn't see anyone mention it, but you can have the ceramic coating on top of the PPF and it will really make it shine/easy to clean. Some do, some don't for that, really up to your preference and how much you want to pay. Just know that PPF is a lot more expensive than ceramic coating, but will last longer depending on the type you get such as Xpel Ultimate comes with a 10 year warranty.

PPF is definitely tried and true on expensive vehicles. The dealer I go to for PPF posts a lot of his work on his stores FaceBook page. Lately its been a lot of C8's, but does a lot of exotics as well. The biggest thing is to find a good PPF installer, as they'll make the difference on cost and how it's installed.
IMO, I don't like having ceramic coating on top of my XPel because what ends up happening is that the ceramic coating will get fine swirls/marks in it that, of course, would just self-heal on the XPel. So I just spray wax as a drying aid over all my PPF every wash, and that gives it the extra gloss. The few areas not covered in PFF (Roof, and trunk) I do have a ceramic coating on.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I bought my car used with 1900 miles but found the guy on this forumn(he found me) that had the car before me. He had it ceramic coated and had the PPF on the front of the car, A-pillars, mirrors and rear fender flares. It looks so awesome. Crazy shiny and sadly/luckily I had to test it out after the 3 1/2 hour trip home when something bounced off of my fender. It tore through the PPF and was brown in there. turns out it was just dirt and the paint was fine. Paid to have that part redone and look like new. It is a great investment.

Attachments

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
94 Posts
You have to have PPF. My car is super shiny with mine on. And like the other gentleman said you can put ceramic on top of it. No way I’d drive it without PPF. I just went thru this same argument with my wife about putting PPF on her new hellcat Durango.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
100 Posts
It's hilarious how people hear ceramic coating and think it's going to make bullets bounce off their paint. As stated over and over on here PPF is the only thing that will create a physical barrier to protect your paint. A coating is just that, all it does is create a hydrophobic property on whatever it's applied to so water beads off. PPF only looks as good as the paint correction it's applied to so make sure whomever you choose to install it is a reputable shop and does a thorough paint correction 1st otherwise those swirls will be there forever. Expensive yes, but most great things in life are and worth every penny.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts