SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Anyone else looking to install Hood Pins?

25910 48
I love the look of old school hood pins on the Challenger and thinking that will be one of my first appearance mods after tinting the windows.

Mopar Performance Challenger Hood Pin Kit - Black Finish - shopHEMI.com

Has anybody else installed them on their current Chally or putting them on the Hellcat? Did you install them yourself or have a body shop do it? Thinking I'd have a good body shop do it as I my hands would probably shake drilling a hole into my brand new cars hood. ;)
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Yep, its got a HEMI
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,768 Posts
Those are pretty nice and should look good

I have two Cudas with them and I don't feel the need to have them on the Hellcat.

On a 1970 Barracuda if you add one like the Cuda models you need, not only the pin set but the bracket.
Year One made the pin set but no brackets for years. So what I am saying is look at how the pins mount into the car. If you screw up the hole in the hood the large black plate will cover it up. Its really pretty easy to do.

I had one original shaker hood with the holes and one that was a repro shaker hood and had to drill the hole in a new reproduction hood. The shaker hood is not a cheap date either.

Measure twice drill once

·
Left Shark
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,141 Posts
Yes, the fact that it's an aluminum hood also...if you hose it up, just any body shop can't fix it. It will take someone skilled with a TIG rig because I'm sure that is very thin material for the skin, or the cost of a replacement hood.

Reactions: C.K.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
10,951 Posts
Ummm, No way I'm putting holes in the hood of my hellcat, I had hood pins on my cobra, they were a pain to deal with, I.E it was never in a garage, so there was rust issues

·
Premium Member
13,620 Posts
They are chrome and stainless steel ( polished ) on my 70 Cuda but that car has never seen rain since my ground up restoration
Sweeeeeet! A ride of that caliber shouldn't have to play in the rain! I wish my Hellbaby didn't have to play in the rain. It has been fun testing the boundaries of horsepower to wet road ratio and determining what I can legitimately get away with...:D

·
Yep, its got a HEMI
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,768 Posts
They are chrome and stainless steel ( polished ) on my 70 Cuda but that car has never seen rain since my ground up restoration
you know what does rust???
the crappy little plastic coated cable that connects the hood pin with the safety pin ( or what ever you call it )
it rusts under the plastic coating. But you can pick up the little cables for cheap

·
Yep, its got a HEMI
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,768 Posts
Sweeeeeet! A ride of that caliber shouldn't have to play in the rain! I wish my Hellbaby didn't have to play in the rain. It has been fun testing the boundaries of horsepower to wet road ratio and determining what I can legitimately get away with...:D
I have the fancy window wiper motor and switch and wire harness but that is the only thing that does not work on the car ( wipers ) you know what I don't care.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
419 Posts
I've been thinking about doing this. I'm doing things like the Wannagofast half mile shootout and taking the car up over 150mph. It might be nice to have that extra bit of protection to keep the hood on. I'm not sure if any of you saw that video of the guy doing the full mile and taking the Hellcat over 170, but in the video you can clearly see the hood flexing like crazy at that speed. Plus they just look cool.

·
"Living the Dream!"
Challenger SRT Hellcat
166 Posts
I've been thinking about doing this. I'm doing things like the Wannagofast half mile shootout and taking the car up over 150mph. It might be nice to have that extra bit of protection to keep the hood on. I'm not sure if any of you saw that video of the guy doing the full mile and taking the Hellcat over 170, but in the video you can clearly see the hood flexing like crazy at that speed. Plus they just look cool.
I thought about them but was concerned the cable would rub the paint. Also too chicken to drill the holes after I got my baby. Conservative by nature.

·
BritishCat
Challenger SRT Hellcat
975 Posts
I thought about them but was concerned the cable would rub the paint. Also too chicken to drill the holes after I got my baby. Conservative by nature.
I had these on my Brilliant Black 2011 R/T. Looked great but not worth it.

the lanyard is protected by a plastic coating, the silver hoodpin set have a clear coating on the lanyard, while the back hoodpins have a black coating. I had the silver. they rubbed and wore clear coat away, every few months I had to hit the front bumper with rubbing compound the remove the scratches.

Also, the sun will discolor the plastic coating on the lanyard, not good for long term use. after 3 years of daily driving (being stored in a garage too) the plastic was yellow.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,013 Posts
Do you mind living in a place where it rains so much? Here we have a variety of 'crap'. Depending on the season there is always something to deal with (snow, ice, rain, humidity, pollen, bugs, tree sap, whatever). I mind but somehow I've been here all my life LOL.

Reactions: 630

·
Premium Member
13,620 Posts
Do you mind living in a place where it rains so much? Here we have a variety of 'crap'. Depending on the season there is always something to deal with (snow, ice, rain, humidity, pollen, bugs, tree sap, whatever). I mind but somehow I've been here all my life LOL.
I am realizing from everyone here that we all have our various challenges to deal with. I don't mind the rain because I have lived here my whole life, but I would like to live somewhere that allows me to enjoy more road time without it! :) The one thing I will admit is that it is always beautiful and green here and pretty clean since the rain is always washing the crap away!

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,013 Posts
I am realizing from everyone here that we all have our various challenges to deal with. I don't mind the rain because I have lived here my whole life, but I would like to live somewhere that allows me to enjoy more road time without it! :) The one thing I will admit is that it is always beautiful and green here and pretty clean since the rain is always washing the crap away!
I was thinking that when I was writing about all the crap we have to deal with here. No matter where you go there is something to deal with.

Maui is pretty darn nice though!!!! The only problem is you end up driving in circles.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.