SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious who regrets getting rid of their Hellcat. My lease is up in two weeks and I'm still completely torn on whether to keep my car or let a friend have it (I'd buyout the lease for him). The car is awesome and has been completely trouble free.

My dilemma is that my elderly father bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn six months ago and doesn't want it. He wants me to buy it and is willing to let me have it for the same price as my Hellcat buyout price. The truck is 3 years newer, has 5k miles vs 16.5k for my Hellcat, and has a 7/75 Max Care warranty.

The truck is just an option. If I decide to keep my car I can always help him sell his truck for more than he was willing to sell it to me for. Just wondering if I'd be missing out on an opportunity that is probably smarter than keeping the kitty. Buying the truck would allow me to sell my 2003 Excursion which would shrink my fleet to save on annual car tax and insurance. My oldest starts college in the fall and I have a feeling those payments are going to hurt.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
568 Posts
First off, Do Not buy out your lease and then sell it to your friend, you will have to pay sales tax, title fee and license fees on the residual amount (Buy Out amount). Your friend can just buy it directly from the lease company for that amount.

And, yes you will regret not having something fast to drive...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
5,214 Posts
And just the general idea of selling to friends or family is usually a bad idea. They always expect a great deal and God forbid something ever went wrong with that car, well they would forever blame it on you. So my advice is never tell any friends or family what you are doing, let them say something after it's gone, it's way better than hearing about that lemon you sold them year after year.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
557 Posts
I sold my 15 M6 Hellcat last fall. I had bought a Boss 302 and originally planned to keep both. Didn't like having two cars I don't drive much so sold the Challenger. I definitely miss the car and have been casually looking for another one. I honestly thought the prices of 15-16 Hellcats would tank with the Power Dollars rebates on new ones. So far the pricing is holding up. I'm either going to find a screaming deal on a leftover 19 or hold out for the right used one. They aren't hard to find that's for sure.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
1,435 Posts
I sold my 15 Hellcat Challenger #25 for financial reasons and because if I kept it, Id have 100k miles on it now. Loved my T/A 392 and love my 1320 now. But I do regret not hanging onto the hellcat. It would have probably been cheaper in the long run . Regardless, nothing puts a smile on your face like that Supercharged Hemi

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First off, Do Not buy out your lease and then sell it to your friend, you will have to pay sales tax, title fee and license fees on the residual amount (Buy Out amount). Your friend can just buy it directly from the lease company for that amount.
In VA, I won't have to pay sale tax if I buy out the lease because they charged me the full sales tax when I leased it. All I have to do is show them my receipt and they will exempt me from tax on the buyout.

That said, will Chrysler Capital allow my friend to purchase out my lease with my consent? That would certainly simplify things. Even though I won't have to pay sales tax, there are still about $75 in registration fees I'd get stuck with if I buy the car first.

And just the general idea of selling to friends or family is usually a bad idea. They always expect a great deal and God forbid something ever went wrong with that car, well they would forever blame it on you.
That is probably good advice for many, but I've never worried about that. If I'm selling to a friend they are getting a good deal and I'm completely forthcoming with any issues. In this case, my car only has 16k miles and is still under warranty. I'm not looking to make any money on the deal so my friend would pay my buyout and any fees.

My problem is I'm not sure I'm ready to let the Hellcat go. I have enjoyed the car and it has been flawless. One thing that concerns me is the cost of an extended warranty. I bought an 8yr/100k Maxcare warranty for my 2020 Wrangler Rubicon for $1800. The same warranty for a Hellcat is $6,800. I'm worried they know something we don't.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
184 Posts
My lease is up next month so I’m in the same predicament. I really like the car still and think I’d be pretty bummed walking away from it, so will most likely buy it out to keep long term. I rotate it with other vehicles for my daily drivers, and when it’s hellcat time I feel like a kid in my old big block Chevelle again.

The cost of adding warrantee sounds high to me. Have you checked with Chrysler warranty direct?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just curious who regrets getting rid of their Hellcat. My lease is up in two weeks and I'm still completely torn on whether to keep my car or let a friend have it (I'd buyout the lease for him). The car is awesome and has been completely trouble free.

My dilemma is that my elderly father bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn six months ago and doesn't want it. He wants me to buy it and is willing to let me have it for the same price as my Hellcat buyout price. The truck is 3 years newer, has 5k miles vs 16.5k for my Hellcat, and has a 7/75 Max Care warranty.

The truck is just an option. If I decide to keep my car I can always help him sell his truck for more than he was willing to sell it to me for. Just wondering if I'd be missing out on an opportunity that is probably smarter than keeping the kitty. Buying the truck would allow me to sell my 2003 Excursion which would shrink my fleet to save on annual car tax and insurance. My oldest starts college in the fall and I have a feeling those payments are going to hurt.
DO. NOT. DO. IT.
You’ll regret it, unless you’re getting something comparable. Otherwise keep it.

·
Registered
In The Market
937 Posts
Yep, twice...a 2015 and a 2016. Back in a 2019 WB Redeye I landed last month and am sooooo glad for the Power Dollars that made it possible.

My daily is a 2019 Longhorn. It is comfortable, air suspension is fun, 12" screen is super cool. I enjoy it but if I had to choose between them I'd keep the Redeye. Not sure what your buyout situation is but interest rates are still low and Power Dollars are still live for'19 leftovers...worth doing the calcs on?

I missed the Hellcats and even though the reason I got rid of the '16 was to land what I thought was my dream car the cat never left my lust. Think hard about it.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
You won't be happy if you replace it with that truck. Get a TH then.
Otherwise, replace it with another muscle car or a sports car if you decide to move on. My lease is up summer of 2021 & I have no idea what I will do if there is no WB RE Charger. If there is, there has to be another awesome lease deal. If not, hard pass on another new HC.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
33 Posts
If I were in your shoes, and I am not sure if I am ready... then that means I am not ready so don't give it up and especially if its not for another fast/fun car. There is a good chance you will regret it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
153 Posts
I'm turning mine in Monday or Tuesday next week, after about 35k miles together. The buyout doesn't make sense as I can find one for about that price with almost no miles, so I didn't even consider keeping it. I plan to pick one up again in the future, but I'm going to go a couple years with no payments or large cash outlays.

I'm definitely going to need a hug or something the day after I drop it off and don't see it waiting for be in the driveway. Best all-around car I've ever owned by a long shot.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
40 Posts

I think you actually answered your own question... the fact you considered to let your car go, is the answer, with what you are thinking , you could always later get another one, everyone is going to say noooo, but they don’t pay the bills, I’ve had A considerable amount of cars in my lifetime and loss tens of thousands trading and so on, would it be great to take both.. well yeah, but Priority's are important... look at it this way, you owed one, and you know you can again, I owed a viper, but yet at the time I had to let it go for personal reasons, Same with others, so I get it, but your not stepping down, you are still going to have a cool ride

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
40 Posts
I'm turning mine in Monday or Tuesday next week, after about 35k miles together. The buyout doesn't make sense as I can find one for about that price with almost no miles, so I didn't even consider keeping it. I plan to pick one up again in the future, but I'm going to go a couple years with no payments or large cash outlays.

I'm definitely going to need a hug or something the day after I drop it off and don't see it waiting for be in the driveway. Best all-around car I've ever owned by a long shot.
Damn... that has to be the smartest comment I have read from a owner !!! I bow before you, you owned one, so it’s humbling

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've only had my hellcat for a little over six months and a lot can change in three years...but I don't see myself parting with this car. I traded in my scat pack for a RT durango and a year after owning the durango I traded it for my hellcat. You do the math, lol.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
206 Posts
Great thread. I enjoyed reading this. I’ll be in the same situation in a little over a year and I’ve already been asking myself those kinds of questions.
I always looked forward to a lease coming to an end.
this is the first time that the thought of it isn’t appealing.
Once you’ve had a car of this absurd power, anything else seems like a step down.
I have a m6 widebody. I don’t think I can do any better. Even the new mid engine corvette is only coming in automatic. So sad that there are so few cars left in manual. Really is depressing and I mean it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,083 Posts
i just traded my 2015 with 60k miles for a new REWB. first time i've ever even considered buying the same car again. i couldn't be more happy.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
322 Posts
Bought my 1st HC Challenger in July 2015. Pitch Black. I loved the car, hated the black. I put 3,000 fair weather miles on it, and traded it in on a 2016 SRT Jeep. I loved the Jeep, but missed the HC. Terribly. I traded the SRT Jeep in on a White Knuckle HC Challenger in October 2017, and have never looked back.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts