SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Apple Air Tag recovered Redeye

9K views 85 replies 39 participants last post by  Dennis H 
#1 · (Edited)
How a $19 air Apple tag helped me recover my 2021 challenger hellcat redeye widebody within hours of being stolen.

#2 ·
I walked out to my condos parking garage and my Redeye was gone. I pulled out my phone and checked my air tag app. Showed the car was 25 miles away in a tough neighborhood. Called 911 said I was tracking the car, gave them the address and they said they would send a cop unit to the address. I grabbed my piece jumped in my other car and raced down there myself. When I got there it was a relatively nice neighborhood but in a bad part of Chicago. My app showed it was in the garage, the Cops said no one was answering the door. I said really my car is in there garage and no one is answering the door?? Strange…
The garage had no windows and was locked, cops said they couldn’t just break into the garage, they would wait around and see if anyone showed up. lol was like seriously?? I then pulled out my fob and auto started my car in the garage. I was like how about now? They called their supervisor, he came down I started the car again, then he allowed them to kick in the garage door and we repossessed my car. ****** managed to wreck the car while driving it back to his address. I felt so violated.

#3 ·
Sorry to hear that man. People are shit. I hope insurance will cover the damages?
I walked out to my condos parking garage and my Redeye was gone. I pulled out my phone and checked my air tag app. Showed the car was 25 miles away in a tough neighborhood. Called 911 said I was tracking the car, gave them the address and they said they would send a cop unit to the address. I grabbed my piece jumped in my other car and raced down there myself. When I got there it was a relatively nice neighborhood but in a bad part of Chicago. My app showed it was in the garage, the Cops said no one was answering the door. I said really my car is in there garage and no one is answering the door?? Strange…
The garage had no windows and was locked, cops said they couldn’t just break into the garage, they would wait around and see if anyone showed up. lol was like seriously?? I then pulled out my fob and auto started my car in the garage. I was like how about now? They called their supervisor, he came down I started the car again, then he allowed them to kick in the garage door and we repossessed my car. ** managed to wreck the car while driving it back to his address. I felt so violated.
How a $19 air Apple tag helped me recover my 2021 challenger hellcat redeye widebody within hours of being stolen.

#13 ·
The garage had no windows and was locked, cops said they couldn’t just break into the garage, they would wait around and see if anyone showed up. lol was like seriously?? I then pulled out my fob and auto started my car in the garage. I was like how about now? They called their supervisor, he came down I started the car again, then he allowed them to kick in the garage door and we repossessed my car. ** managed to wreck the car while driving it back to his address. I felt so violated.
Once again you park a Redeye in a condo parking garage in Chicago and were expecting a different result?
Then you take a gun preparing for a shootout over a car?
Man you have a long way to go and a lot to learn.

#42 ·
Oh come on now. Spend the extra 20 bucks. At least there’s no annual fee. It definitely makes me feel better having one in my car.
I’m glad OP got his car back. I think it’s still just a matter of good or bad luck. I’ve parked my Hellcat at hotel parking lots for hundreds of nights with no issues. I’ve already stayed in at least 6 hotels this year with my Redeye. If we can’t go out and enjoy these cars, why have them?🤷‍♂️

#11 ·
This is probably how my car ended up in some dam garage down in the south side or Chicago. Expect it’s probably a shell at this point as it was never located. These thieves are useless trash and it’s unfortunate the police are so hindered by all this political garbage down there and this continues. Glad to see you got her back. We had hits on my car a few times but every time something else was more important than recovering her and then it was off the radar.

Nice to see the good guys won on this one man!

Red Cat Mike

Reactions: Spartacus
#16 ·
I get the risk I took putting it in a garage where you need a fob to enter and two different locked garage doors to get it out. I get it, it’s a risk. I’m concealed carry and put the gun in the car because I didn’t know where I was going. He has no idea what I was thinking, how the gun would be used, the situation. Yourself and him have opinions and **sholes everyone does, and yes he thinks he knows everything, read his posts. I’d like if you didn’t comment further, thanks.

#18 ·
Overnight parking lots/garages. You're actually daring them. Fob requirements, gates, doors, all irrelevant.
Literally every stolen thread here has begun with it being parked in an overnight parking facility. I am stunned that people are not getting the memo. This sucks. You can’t even go anywhere and park these cars.

#20 ·
Surprised they actually went in. I would think technically you need a signed warrant from a judge to enter. I live in NJ I hear stuff like they can sue the cops for violating there rights and get a few mil. Crazy.

You must be LEO though to have a gun in Chicago I bet. Have one outside in a liberal state like mine and you’ll be immediately thrown in jail for 10 years lol.

If this happened to me where I live wouldn’t happen like this unfortunately. Anyway, good ending.

#22 ·
Sad....... 2 common factors in most of these; parking garage and major city.
You should be able to park and not have to be worried about what you worked for ( or inherited).
The original posters are not the culprit though . It is the slime that breaks the law.

Glad you got it back.

#24 ·
I put an airtag in the passenger front seat headrest. Its easy to pull the headrest off, and slip the airtag under the cover and up the back. Its in a good spot there too because the airtag will have an unobstructed signal path through the windows in 360 degrees. I tested my airtag with my car a while back and it works great. Moved it to my new car when I sold the HC. But try putting it in the headrest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.