SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Are 275 Nittos enough?

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Unholy707 
#1 ·
So, my RE is on order. I currently have a TRX so traction is no problem at all. I've read that the stock 275s are a complete joke and that most people with a narrow body(they can't order WB right now) throw on better tires. I've never driven a Challenger or Charger RE so I really have no idea. I do know that the 295 PS Michelins on my 850hp Shelby just go up in smoke any time you floor it in 1st-4th. So I assume it's gonna be the same deal.

I like the stock wheel look so I'll probably stick with those. But are Nitto 555Rii in 275 enough? Should I try to go 295?

#3 ·
Unfortunate...so how does anyone get traction in a NB? Seems like it'd be tough to fit that much tire.

Other hotrods...
'14 GT500
'11 GT500
'15 Kenny Bell Mustang GT
'11 Whippled Mustang GT
'12 C63 AMG
'09 Mustang GT
'08 Dinan 335i
'04 M3
'97 M3
'93 Mustang Cobra (Still have it)

#4 ·
Pedal discipline is a thing. When driving big power cars, you can pretty much never hammer the throttle, ever. Doing such blows the tires off, regardless of tire size and compound. Hammering a set of M/T ET Street Rs in 1st gear with a lowly Hellcat will blow the tires off too.

IMO, larger tires are obviously going to be better, but the actual difference between a 275 and a 305 is fairly small in terms of street tire traction. It's just a simple fact that driving a car with 650lb.ft. of torque requires a quick, but smooth roll on of power and not a snap stomp. To answer your question, 295s are better than 275s, but if you're blowing the tires off on an 850hp Shelby with 295s in 4th gear, then I think the driver mod needs an adjustment.

#5 ·
Pedal discipline is a thing. When driving big power cars, you can pretty much never hammer the throttle, ever. Doing such blows the tires off, regardless of tire size and compound. Hammering a set of M/T ET Street Rs in 1st gear with a lowly Hellcat will blow the tires off too.

IMO, larger tires are obviously going to be better, but the actual difference between a 275 and a 305 is fairly small in terms of street tire traction. It's just a simple fact that driving a car with 650lb.ft. of torque requires a quick, but smooth roll on of power and not a snap stomp. To answer your question, 295s are better than 275s, but if you're blowing the tires off on an 850hp Shelby with 295s in 4th gear, then I think the driver mod needs an adjustment.
Lol...

Yea, even a roll into the power is bad. I spent my youth drag racing so I have a bit of practice. That said, the Shelby has street tires. IIRC I had 305 Nitto DRs on my 15 GT and it hooked pretty well. But the power band on that car was much higher and the torque was much less.

Reactions: Bobo
#6 ·
Just go 305 on a 10.5 wheel (or 11 inch if you prefer) on the back. That's what most NB owners use when they are trying to get as much traction as possible. If you want more (and prefer a more wide body look), look into the lil devil flares and go 315's. Lil' Devils Fender Flares Package 1 — Phillips Performance

Reactions: 2ndAmend
#8 ·
On my narrow body Challenger Hellcat, I have 20 x 10.5 replica wheels on 305-35-20 tires. The wider tires definitely improve the aesthetics of the car and will help being that they are wider for improved traction. Most importantly the compound of the tire will always be more important than the width of the tire. With that being said if you get a different compound tire that’s sticky plus in a wider size then that will give you the best of both worlds which will definitely help quite a bit.

In your case since you like the stock wheels and there in the 275 size then stick with putting a 275 Nitto on them. I wouldn’t put a 295 size tire on a 20x9.5” wheel as you will only use so much of that tire. Some might have done it and it was probably no big deal but its better to be safe. It’s better to stick with putting the recommended 275 tire on that wheel size unless you want to get a wider wheel to accommodate the bigger tire size. I've seen a few threads where people have went from the same 275 Nitto tire to a 305 Nitto tire and didn't notice all that much improvement in traction, maybe a little but not drastic.

I’m not sure if the narrow body redeye wheels (depending on which wheels) have aftermarket replica wheels for them yet but if they do then I’d definitely get them in a 20x10.5 or 20x11 wheel and slap some 305-35-20 Nitto 555R2s on them and enjoy putting the power down on that car much more especially since the Redeye is much faster than the TRX and being only rear wheel drive.

#9 ·
On my Sveltebody Redeye, I just replaced the 400-mile Perelli Zero Neros with a set of 275 Michelin PS4S's a week ago and the improvement was amazing. I'm not racing the thing but just from the point of having it hook up in a predictable fashion and continue to track straight when it shifts, is quite refreshing compared the Perilli fossilized hockeypucks which seem have to been chosen by Dodge just for their ability to make tire smoke and spasmodically alter the trajectory of travel, thus improving the prospect of replacement body part sales and resultant increased profits for Stellantis.

#13 ·
Looks like the style number MIGHT be V1185. I found a few replicas out there. I also priced the stock wheels so send off and have widened. F that. 1500 bucks per wheel. lol

Reactions: 6lbSsFt
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.