SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
909 Posts
That is sweet! Always liked those too. I can see your point, those cars need a four speed!

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems the autos have survived better than the 4sp’s, not as prone to abuse, more conservative/mature owners, and the brains to shift when the driver has none!

Last summer I ran into a guy driving a 72 LT1, dark blue (my favorite), T top, 4sp, he said he pulled out the 4.11 and replaced with, I can’t remember, 3.43? He clearly said, no matter what happens, he would never sell the car! :(

Reactions: audocat

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
909 Posts
Back in 79' my uncle (who is a major car guy to this day) had a 69' vette, medium blue. 4 spd convertible. Told him if he ever sold it let me know. A year or two later he called me, 5500 its yours. I had just wrecked my first car, a 69 elcamino being stupid and I couldn't afford to fix the camino and buy his vette! I chose the elcamino. I was probably 19 or 20 at the time. I bet I would still have it. Just sold the el camino 2 yrs ago.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
683 Posts
I just saw this on CL, it's 5 miles from home. I love the 69-73 Vettes! The ave price of a house in that area is about $3M, and the ave owner is about 80. But it’s an auto…. Can’t do it. :(

1973 Corvette - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale
It only takes about 3 grand to put a new period matching manual in that car with an OEM style conversion kit. You could put the auto trans in storage and have the manual to drive and still have the numbers matching hardware for resale purposes later.

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It only takes about 3 grand to put a new period matching manual in that car with an OEM style conversion kit. You could put the auto trans in storage and have the manual to drive and still have the numbers matching hardware for resale purposes later.
Thanks, I will look into that!

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look up the engine specs on 1973 smoggers and you'll probably pass.
I am well aware, I was around then watching it happen. If I understand correctly, antiques are exempt from mods. And though X is correct that a 4sp could be installed, considering shifter mounting, linkage, trans, bell hsg, clutch, clutch linkage, etc… $3k is probably optimistic. If it were 1980, I could get salvage parts and make a nice car.

I think what we see here is the reason that 72 and older 4sp in similar disposition is $15k+ more.

My wife keeps asking me why the auto is so bad. I asked her if she would like it for herself. She said she really wants a new truck to tow her horse trailer. I think what she really means is she would like a new high end truck to show off to the snooty liberal horse friends. (Funny how they want to save the planet but then pollute it with manure and dualies pulling trailers for pleasure!) Plus, our 03 Silverado is still going strong, just put Billsteins on today. I said if you really wanted a new truck, I wish you told me before I spent $300 on shocks!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
683 Posts
I am well aware, I was around then watching it happen. If I understand correctly, antiques are exempt from mods. And though X is correct that a 4sp could be installed, considering shifter mounting, linkage, trans, bell hsg, clutch, clutch linkage, etc… $3k is probably optimistic. If it were 1980, I could get salvage parts and make a nice car.

I think what we see here is the reason that 72 and older 4sp in similar disposition is $15k+ more.

My wife keeps asking me why the auto is so bad. I asked her if she would like it for herself. She said she really wants a new truck to tow her horse trailer. I think what she really means is she would like a new high end truck to show off to the snooty liberal horse friends. (Funny how they want to save the planet but then pollute it with manure and dualies pulling trailers for pleasure!) Plus, our 03 Silverado is still going strong, just put Billsteins on today. I said if you really wanted a new truck, I wish you told me before I spent $300 on shocks!

Like new OEM Muncie trans, 3k. There's another on eBay, used, complete with bell housing for $800. Yes, you'd have to put the linkage, shifter, and clutch in them, but those are a dime a dozen, really. I am not a GM fan, but at least they put the same kit in lots of cars, for lots of years, so they made a lot, and they're still available. There are conversion kits that give you all the bits. You can likely get in under 3k if you roll the dice on a used trans that you may have to repair (see: probably). But, you are correct in that higher price if you try and source new old stock or absolutely pristine rebuilt/certified repro parts. But, for a driver... I'd just go with a grungy looking $800 transmission, pay a shop to rebuild it, and bolt it up to the car with a conversion kit. On the top side it would look new. On the bottom end, who cares :) That way you could have a driver on a fairly good budget. And, as I mentioned before, you could save all the old parts for originality's sake. When it comes time to resell it, honestly, the 4spd is more desirable and you could probably just leave it in with the rest of the parts in the trunk and likely turn a higher price. It's a good example of a classy modification that collectors don't look down on.

My 1970 Torino 429 SCJ also has a Muncie trans in it. 52 years and still shifts. It could do for some new synchos on 2nd/3rd, but it still works ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts