SRT Hellcat Forum banner

41 - 60 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
193 Posts
I've had these exhausts out before and wonder if tech did not adjust properly, or left hanger off.i

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Don't attack ME. The parts are bad. I don't care how easy it is to fix. It should have never happened in the first place, and I was hoping that FCA would be alerted to it before they ordered in a another several container loads of bad parts. You have to get their attention first, and everyone, literally everyone that I have seen so far is experiencing the exact same problem, Charger or Challenger.

The solution is simple: a small adjustment to the parts prior to shipping them. It is a far better investment to do so than to start piling up thousands of customers with the same easy-to-prevent problem. So far, they are batting 1000 with 100 percent of installed recall pieces being poorly-aligned junk.

The point was/is to alert them so they can make the change and not keep ramming the ship into the iceberg they were already warned about.

Don't lecture me about how to fix it. How you should tell me how I need to spend my money to repair their mistake was not the point. The POINT was to prevent it from happening to anyone else, preferably at the FCA factory level, by no longer shipping out bad parts, or trimming the right side exhaust piece prior to installation, or something.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,404 Posts
It makes sense both models would have this issue as the cat pipes are the same on both models. It seems the cat pipes are a bit tool long . A quick trimming would fix that .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
First of all I think you seriously should sell your car and get a Camaro or a Mustang. Based on your Title the sky is falling at Dodge and you got screwed over to the max. If I was Dodgecares I would not deal with you at all. This thread and the accusations and the all caps title that is so imflamitory HAS ALREADY DONE DAMAGE that cannot be fixed. So why even try to help you? This thread would only modivate me to send you down the road.

#1 the dealer CANNOT fix this. The Exhaust system behind the Mids is 1 piece and the joint at the Exhaust Tips is a ball joint and cannot be adjusted in or out. So how is the dealer to blame? They do not weld up exhausts. They only R&R them. Are you telling me that they will not escalate this to a star case etc? They refuse to make a call to the area rep? Did you try another dealer?

So, yes the parts are defective. You expect FCA can just snap their fingers and have you new corrected parts out tomorrow afternoon? Absolutely not. It will take a while. Maybe even quite a while.

So BE PATIENT. Stop Trashing people because you do not get instant results to your complete satisfaction.

Did you call SRT/Dodge and open a case with them?

Did you take the car by an exhaust shop to get an estimate to fix this on your Own? Maybe it would only be $50 ? So you will trash dodge and then we hear next week you are having your mufflers or resonators removed or replaced to get a better sound and spending hundreds of dollars and it could be corrected then. Or maybe you buy a new cat back exhaust because you want a better sound and that corrects this.

But in the mean time you murder Dodge with your Thread and Title all caps over something like this. Maybe stop complaining and consider waiting until they are able to get it fixed for you or drop a few bucks and get it fixed yourself.

I don't know about you but I like my Dodge Challengers and I am a big boy and I am realistic and sometimes I have to man up and deal with some things on my own. But I do not trash Dodge. If it were up to me I would never sell you a car. Do not need customers like you at all.
drgrcer: ignored. Goodbye. We obviously differ in our opinions and approaches. I don't suffer people who come at me with snide ad hominem attacks. Enjoy your life. Try to find something else to think about, something other than me.

·
Registered
2020 SRT SUPER STOCK HELLRAISIN
3,485 Posts
Don't attack ME. The parts are bad. I don't care how easy it is to fix. It should have never happened in the first place, and I was hoping that FCA would be alerted to it before they ordered in a another several container loads of bad parts. You have to get their attention first, and everyone, literally everyone that I have seen so far is experiencing the exact same problem, Charger or Challenger.

The solution is simple: a small adjustment to the parts prior to shipping them. It is a far better investment to do so than to start piling up thousands of customers with the same easy-to-prevent problem. So far, they are batting 1000 with 100 percent of installed recall pieces being poorly-aligned junk.

The point was/is to alert them so they can make the change and not keep ramming the ship into the iceberg they were already warned about.

Don't lecture me about how to fix it. How you should tell me how I need to spend my money to repair their mistake was not the point. The POINT was to prevent it from happening to anyone else, preferably at the FCA factory level, by no longer shipping out bad parts, or trimming the right side exhaust piece prior to installation, or something.
I do happen to agree with most of this but since you ignored me you will not know. What I DON'T agree with is you making it look like the COMPANY and The DEALER are incompitent and terrible. Especially the all caps title calling out Dodge Cares. Yes something went wrong and it would be good if it gets fixed. But it takes information and action of a long chain of moving parts and individuals and will probably take months. So stop crying and be patient , or, fix it yourself if you cannot wait.

There is NO WAY to simply trim anything to improve the alignment. The parts are welded together into an "H". The parts have to be replaced.

An exhaust shop could drop the exhaust, cut the long side off a couple inches behind the active exhaust butterfly valve using a Pipe Cutter and then stretch the downstream side and slip back together. Reinstall on car and align perfectly. Tack Weld, drop back down and finish weld, then reinstall and be happy. The Dealer unfortunately does not have this ability.
Once the car is on a drive on lift removing the exhaust is not that bad. It's 4 bolts and 2 wire connectors, some WD40 and a mallet and block of wood and a helper will do it in a few minutes. I have done it on my back under the car in about an hour using a carboard box and my Body!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,404 Posts
I do happen to agree with most of this but since you ignored me you will not know. What I DON'T agree with is you making it look like the COMPANY and The DEALER are incompitent and terrible. Especially the all caps title calling out Dodge Cares. Yes something went wrong and it would be good if it gets fixed. But it takes information and action of a long chain of moving parts and individuals and will probably take months. So stop crying and be patient , or, fix it yourself if you cannot wait.

There is NO WAY to simply trim anything to improve the alignment. The parts are welded together into an "H". The parts have to be replaced.

An exhaust shop could drop the exhaust, cut the long side off a couple inches behind the active exhaust butterfly valve using a Pipe Cutter and then stretch the downstream side and slip back together. Reinstall on car and align perfectly. Tack Weld, drop back down and finish weld, then reinstall and be happy. The Dealer unfortunately does not have this ability.
Once the car is on a drive on lift removing the exhaust is not that bad. It's 4 bolts and 2 wire connectors, some WD40 and a mallet and block of wood and a helper will do it in a few minutes. I have done it on my back under the car in about an hour using a carboard box and my Body!
The cat pipes are not welded in to the X pipe( mid pipe ) and it can be trimmed there or small adjust can be made there . I have done it already . From the X pipe ( mid pipes) back they are all welded together.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
It makes sense both models would have this issue as the cat pipes are the same on both models. It seems the cat pipes are a bit tool long . A quick trimming would fix that .

I am not 100% sure, but the only thing that makes sense to me is they are replacing the whole exhaust system. Can someone confirm this by looking at their car or the invoice? Replacing the mids with Cats would not cause this as I see it.

The probable reason is a used exhaust will not go onto new mids. The original used exhaust will have pipes that are crushed by the pipe clamps during installation. They will not fit on new pipes that have not been crushed without great effort. Ask me how I know........

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,404 Posts
I am not 100% sure, but the only thing that makes sense to me is they are replacing the whole exhaust system. Can someone confirm this by looking at their car or the invoice? Replacing the mids with Cats would not cause this as I see it.

The probable reason is a used exhaust will not go onto new mids. The original used exhaust will have pipes that are crushed by the pipe clamps during installation. They will not fit on new pipes that have not been crushed without great effort. Ask me how I know........
I thought they were just replacing the cat pipes and not the whole exhaust . So new cat pipes going into the original exhaust ..... Yes that is always a treat . Been there done that .

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I don't have a car here, but if I did I might attack this problem another way. Cutting the H apart and re welding way too hard to do. Cutting the Pipe right behind the active exhaust valve might be problematic because going together is a slip fit with my method. But the misalignment is so small, maybe 1/2", the slip will be awkward to get it to stay together and aligned.

I might de construct one of the exhaust tips and get it aligned that way. This would eliminate removing the whole exhaust system. Where the ball socket pipe is welded into the tip if that is not a full weld you could grind off those welds and remove the pipe, trim it down, re insert and re weld and there you go. That might be pretty easy, but not sure. Sometimes you can cut right through the weld and pipe and all with an abrasive saw to take something like this apart. Then if there is enough of a stub remaining on the Ball Socket you and re insert and re weld and that would be overall shorter, but maybe too short?

Also this could easily be a fix that FCA could provide with a TSB. Verify misalignment, if yes , install Exhaust Tip PN XXXXXXXXXAA to correct problem.

@Himmelkat

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,404 Posts
I don't have a car here, but if I did I might attack this problem another way. Cutting the H apart and re welding way too hard to do. Cutting the Pipe right behind the active exhaust valve might be problematic because going together is a slip fit with my method. But the misalignment is so small, maybe 1/2", the slip will be awkward to get it to stay together and aligned.

I might de construct one of the exhaust tips and get it aligned that way. This would eliminate removing the whole exhaust system. Where the ball socket pipe is welded into the tip if that is not a full weld you could grind off those welds and remove the pipe, trim it down, re insert and re weld and there you go. That might be pretty easy, but not sure. Sometimes you can cut right through the weld and pipe and all with an abrasive saw to take something like this apart. Then if there is enough of a stub remaining on the Ball Socket you and re insert and re weld and that would be overall shorter, but maybe too short?

Also this could easily be a fix that FCA could provide with a TSB. Verify misalignment, if yes , install Exhaust Tip PN XXXXXXXXXAA to correct problem.

@Himmelkat
I would also be easy enough to pull the cat pipes out and trim the necessary from there and the slide back into the mid pipes , align and tighten .

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I would also be easy enough to pull the cat pipes out and trim the necessary from there and the slide back into the mid pipes , align and tighten .

I am not sure why you think this will work? The right and left pipes of the Exhaust System are welded together. It's all one piece except I think the Tips are removable. So if you trim 1/2" off the right mid pipe that has the Cat then you will still not be able to push the H or Exhaust System up any farther because that setup will bottom out on the left pipe. Even if you could the right to left alingnment at the back of the car would be off by a FOOT just to get the front to back to be equal. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
150 Posts
As I said before, remove the tip, lower the exhaust so you have room, snip the tip, put it together, trees are green.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
As I said before, remove the tip, lower the exhaust so you have room, snip the tip, put it together, trees are green.
Have you ever built Exhaust? That won't work. There is a ball joint there with a clamp. You are not going to just cut off 1/2" and put it back on. ZERO chance of that happening.
28228085fab01b8a84237b18ee3ded60.jpg

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,404 Posts
I am not sure why you think this will work? The right and left pipes of the Exhaust System are welded together. It's all one piece except I think the Tips are removable. So if you trim 1/2" off the right mid pipe that has the Cat then you will still not be able to push the H or Exhaust System up any farther because that setup will bottom out on the left pipe. Even if you could the right to left alingnment at the back of the car would be off by a FOOT just to get the front to back to be equal. Am I missing something here?
I will take a picture when I get home to illustrate what I'm trying to say .

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
150 Posts
Have you ever built Exhaust? That won't work. There is a ball joint there with a clamp. You are not going to just cut off 1/2" and put it back on. ZERO chance of that happening. View attachment 561064
Have I built an exhaust? Nope. Not a welder or an exhaust guy. I've also only owned 1 Hellcat. But all my other cars you could get creative, but they didn't have that system above ^. But what prevents you from cutting the resonator off, removing a section in front of the resonator and weld it back together? Same fix, just a cut in a different place.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Have I built an exhaust? Nope. Not a welder or an exhaust guy. I've also only owned 1 Hellcat. But all my other cars you could get creative, but they didn't have that system above ^. But what prevents you from cutting the resonator off, removing a section in front of the resonator and weld it back together? Same fix, just a cut in a different place.
I have already suggested that twice. So, yes that will work. Best place is in a section of pipe that is straight front to back. A couple inches behind the Active Exhaust Valve will do it.

·
Registered
In The Market
25 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
126 Posts
What happened?
Could not figure out what the heck you were talking about, oviuosly a TP problem? Mine are just fine :)
tp.jpg

Reactions: dragrcr

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,404 Posts
I will take a picture when I get home to illustrate what I'm trying to say .

These are not mine ( I'm still at work) but you can see the cat pipes are removable and NOT welded to the rest of the exhaust. This is where you can get a SMALL bit of back and fourth movement . Now if the new cat pipes are too long you could trim them as required to get the front to back look you want.

41 - 60 of 126 Posts