SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Mopar Team,

I lifted my car only to find out that my rear driver side axle boot is leaking. So my dealership changed the entire axle shaft and guess what? It run good for a while but after a week the grease kept coming up again surrounding the active exhaust knob. I took it to a local shop to find out if its leaking , and yes it is leaking again. I wonder why would it leak on a new 2017 challenger 392. In case it was a faulty and I changed it, so why would it leak again in the second time. Not sure whats going on. Anyone else have had similar experience?

Here is a pic how ot looks like:
axle
[GALLERY=]axle[/GALLERY]

Also one more thing... My car is 10000 miles now, so should i ask my dealership to clean the intake manifolds for better performance? How often should the intake manifolds be cleaned? Would any dodge dealership do it? What is the expense incurred?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,079 Posts
Thats bad luck with the axles...
Should not need to clean the intake manifold...maybe a new air filter if its dirty

Reactions: Alien Cop

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats bad luck with the axles...
Should not need to clean the intake manifold...maybe a new air filter if its dirty
Well, yes thats seriously a bad luck.

And i was thinking of cleaning the intake for better performance during the summer as its already been 10K miles on it. I have a Hell cat airbox and air filter.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
25 Posts
Bad luck with the axle. I had a similar issue with passenger side axle but it was only the boot leaking and I don’t know what happened to it. The axle was good. Unfortunately, dodge does not sell the boots only so i had to replace the axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its working good now. I figured out that when on speed brakers, the movement of axle boot was so close to the custom exhaust that it was striking the sides which was causing the issue. Now I have adjusted the exhausy and hung it appropriately which resolved the issue. And so far running good.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,393 Posts
Its working good now. I figured out that when on speed brakers, the movement of axle boot was so close to the custom exhaust that it was striking the sides which was causing the issue. Now I have adjusted the exhausy and hung it appropriately which resolved the issue. And so far running good.
Is your car lowered or stock? For what its worth my passenger side axle boot started leaking just recently and I tried to have the axle replaced last week with a brand new one from Dodge but it had a small hole in the boot too so I'm waiting on another axle from Dodge to be replace it next week.

Reactions: Alien Cop

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is your car lowered or stock? For what its worth my passenger side axle boot started leaking just recently and I tried to have the axle replaced last week with a brand new from Dodge, but it had a small hole in the boot too so I'm waiting on another axle from Dodge to be replace it next week.
My car is stock and not lowered, however it has 3" exhaust straight pipe from solo performance. The way it was installed, that a slight movement could have weared the boots. The guy a dodge dealership did not realized that my exhaust is custom, so he overlooked and installed the entire axle, and that caused the issue the second time. By the way these axle boots leaking is a normal issue that most challengers have, you need to have a close look near the area where it is leakign and see the movement of the axle whether it is touching anywhere. Mine was touching the exhaust when it goes through the speed brakers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts