SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Bad Clutch Throwout Bearing

8735 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  PurpleCat16
Hello!

I have 35k miles on my '16 Challenger Hellcat (6-speed manual). I had been noticing a squealing noise for a while now, but the dealer couldn't hear it. It was pretty loud. Then one day, driving down the highway, I change gears and I hear something snap and come loose, and rattle for about 10 seconds. Then, the transmission starts slipping in 1st gear when I get closer to home, so Chrysler had it towed to the dealer for me.

The dealer says it must be the clutch since it's slipping, and it wouldn't be under warranty. But I used to have an R/T which I drove over 50k miles, and they had inspected the clutch and told me it was clean. I get complimented on how smoothly I shift, so I don't think it's wear.

The dealer said that the clutch is way too heavy and it's slipping, so it must be wear. But it didn't start slipping until the moment something broke, and it's been heavy since day one.

They texted me some pictures of heat spots, and a really busted hydraulic release bearing. They say that Chrysler wouldn't cover it after reviewing the pictures.

But after a little bit of research (Symptoms of a Bad Throwout Bearing That You Shouldn't Ignore), it turns out that squealing and a heavy clutch are both signs of a bad throwout bearing. This seems to have been going on a long time, which would make less sense if it was normal wear, and they should have caught it and fixed it much sooner because of the symptoms instead of handing it back to me without touching it.

What should I do? I can't afford the $4,500+ right now that they are quoting me. Here is a pic of the busted throwout bearing (I have no idea how it can get like that):

Thanks so much!
Josh
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it's my daily driver, so I just told them to fix it quick and I'll worry about the cost later. I think it's defective, and they should've diagnosed it the last time I took it in. Has anyone had success arguing this?

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,754 Posts
I can't figure out what that piece of wire is that impaled the rubber sleeve between the slave and the throw out bearing. (If I got that right)

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good question. Since the mechanic couldn't tell me what it was (and he said the underbody shield was missing), I just filed a collision claim, as I can imagine that if I ran over a wire that got tangled into the throwout bearing, that kind of damage could occur (and prevent the car from shifting).

They replaced the clutch assembly and I tried to pick it up earlier today, but they said to come back tomorrow to work something out because I couldn't pay the $4,600.00.

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,754 Posts
That sucks. If you can get the dealership to confirm that’s a foreign piece of debris that was somehow picked up from the road, that would be covered by your comprehensive insurance (I think). Since there was no collision.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sucks. If you can get the dealership to confirm that’s a foreign piece of debris that was somehow picked up from the road, that would be covered by your comprehensive insurance (I think). Since there was no collision.
I hope they can confirm it. Allstate told me that since the wire is an object the vehicle came into contact with, it's considered a collision.

New development... The concierge service I paid to take my car to the dealership a couple months ago didn't communicate to me that the dealer recommended a clutch replacement. I kind of want to pin the blame for the breakdown on them -- they said it was nothing. Although, with me knowing there was an issue, I should have gotten a second opinion.

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,754 Posts
If that’s what Allstate said, I guess it’s right. I’m easily confused when it comes to coverage.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
883 Posts
I hope they can confirm it. Allstate told me that since the wire is an object the vehicle came into contact with, it's considered a collision.

New development... The concierge service I paid to take my car to the dealership a couple months ago didn't communicate to me that the dealer recommended a clutch replacement. I kind of want to pin the blame for the breakdown on them -- they said it was nothing. Although, with me knowing there was an issue, I should have gotten a second opinion.
I would not put a stock clutch back in. a Ram 900 is a nice clutch for less then 900tq at the engine. Cost about $1,500.

· Registered
2 Posts
Well it's my daily driver, so I just told them to fix it quick and I'll worry about the cost later. I think it's defective, and they should've diagnosed it the last time I took it in. Has anyone had success arguing this?
From my experience as a Chrysler tech hopefully this doesn't get me in trouble managers and service writers always say the loudest one on the drive always wins. Most of the time it's the customer that wins.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
888 Posts
There is a new stock takeoff complete clutch assembly in the classified section for $1K.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
888 Posts
Do you mind sending me a link. Ill look for it either way. Thank you for your reply
It is the 3rd thread from the top in the Marketplace, For Sale section on this forum. You can probably find an independent shop to install it for a much better price than the Stealership !!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.