SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been thinking a lot about DEbadging my new Red charger when I receive it here in the next few weeks. The main reason is because my 2017 yellow hellcat charger was stolen in Covid. And I feel like if I DEBadge the vehicle maybe people don’t realize it’s a redeye and I save myself from having anyone try to steal this one. Obviously it also assist in making it a semi sleeper so when I take it out to the track and on the street nobody realizes they’re racing a redeye. What is everyone’s thoughts on DEbadging?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi,

Not sure your going to fool the thieves, as lowest trim level is a Scat Pack 392 on the widebody Chargers I believe, which is still high on the theft list. If it were a narrow body then maybe. Jmho.

Good luck with the decision, end of the day do what you want, eitherway invest in one of the theft prevention devices if youlive in a city or near a major crime area.

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Not sure your going to fool the thieves, as lowest trim level is a Scat Pack 392 on the widebody Chargers I believe, which is still high on the theft list. If it were a narrow body then maybe. Jmho.

Good luck with the decision, end of the day do what you want, eitherway invest in one of the theft prevention devices if youlive in a city or near a major crime area.

Regards,
Jim
Thanks buddy for the insight…

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
10,105 Posts
Wide body will attract more attention than the badge.

·
Registered
2015 Charger SRT Hellcat
1,385 Posts
De-badging is for cars that have nothing under the hood............ :(

·
Registered
‘21 SRT SUPER STOCK
1,297 Posts
Wide body will attract more attention than the badge.
Absolutely, if you want fender hangers and short stoppers, fair warning though it gets old feeling their eyes burn into you

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,672 Posts
If you can afford a Redeye Charger you should have a place you can put the car inside. I wouldn’t be able to sleep knowing 80k In cash is chilling on the street teeming with thieves looking specifically for cars like yours. My 2 cents. I’ve also been put up on blocks in my 392 in the City so I know a thing or 2

Reactions: FOSSS

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
If you want to be left alone by thieves, install a working set of police lights in your car. Make sure they are visible enough for the discerning thug to notice. Add some subtle numbers on the car to look like institutional-grade decals for "unit identifcation."
Just a thought. Buy a realistic-looking police uniform and drive around with it. Add a computer dock setup that looks like a police unit in the center. Put a plexiglass barrier behind the seats.
You aren't impersonating an officer, as you are not flashing the lights in traffic, etc. You are not pulling people over. YOu are not claiming to be a policeman. You are merely discouraging thieves. The badges and stuff can be resoundingly fake from close up, but look close enough from far away. Make sure lights can't be turned on and off while driving, but from trunk or such when at a standstill.
Rules and results may vary.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,672 Posts
I wouldn’t leave one of my hellcats unattended outside for any longer than necessary. Even in the suburbs where I live. On the mean streets helll No! It’s only a matter of time until some scout marks your car. And within 5 minutes one night you wake up and your wheels and tires are gone.. there’s basically nothing you can do either! What are you going to do shoot them and go to jail for the rest of your life? I wouldn’t put myself in a situation of potentially being a victim after already being one. Once is enough to teach me a valuable lesson

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,672 Posts
When the thieves stole my wheels there was actually a camera facing my car. These people are so damn crafty though they blew out the street light just to steal my wheels. The next day someone came and fixed the street light. Almost no trace of the criminals could be had other than a vague image of a white work van the thieves used

·
Premium Member
10,105 Posts
I'm with Matt. Mine never stays outside at night. Even during the day it stays in the garage when not being used. The fewer people that even know there's a Hellcat there the better.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I wouldn’t leave one of my hellcats unattended outside for any longer than necessary. Even in the suburbs where I live. On the mean streets helll No! It’s only a matter of time until some scout marks your car. And within 5 minutes one night you wake up and your wheels and tires are gone.. there’s basically nothing you can do either! What are you going to do shoot them and go to jail for the rest of your life? I wouldn’t put myself in a situation of potentially being a victim after already being one. Once is enough to teach me a valuable lesson
You're right. Why would I get in a gun battle with thieves when I have been paying insurance my whole life. Not that I don't have the fortitude to smoke one of them. It's just not worth it when it is insured.. I'll just get a new one in a different color!

·
Premium Member
10,105 Posts
I agree but everyone within 2 blocks know what you have at each cold start LOL.
True lol. I'm more worried about randoms driving by and noticing it I guess. My direct neighbors are all kind of old and very nice, not too worried there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you want to be left alone by thieves, install a working set of police lights in your car. Make sure they are visible enough for the discerning thug to notice. Add some subtle numbers on the car to look like institutional-grade decals for "unit identifcation."
Just a thought. Buy a realistic-looking police uniform and drive around with it. Add a computer dock setup that looks like a police unit in the center. Put a plexiglass barrier behind the seats.
You aren't impersonating an officer, as you are not flashing the lights in traffic, etc. You are not pulling people over. YOu are not claiming to be a policeman. You are merely discouraging thieves. The badges and stuff can be resoundingly fake from close up, but look close enough from far away. Make sure lights can't be turned on and off while driving, but from trunk or such when at a standstill.
Rules and results may vary.
A friend of mine had his unmarked police SUV undercover car stolen from his driveway. They found it stripped of wheels police computer, radio, siren ect. So it doesn’t matter. In these times they don’t care if you are police.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
1,098 Posts
Mine never stays outside either, but I do live in a state where we're allowed to use deadly force to safeguard property. And, there is absolutely no way anyone can get into the garage where my Hellcat is without tripping an outdoor alarm, a professionally trained guard dog, and the interior garage system (which is on an entirely separate power grid and has its own wifi). If the alarm trips, the system cuts the power to the garage door, so they can't get out. There's a dog door for the guard dog, so they get locked in with a former police K9. Best of luck.

My setup is akin to the Medieval Japanese theory on castle design. I don't even lock the side door that leads into the garage. This garage is tehcnically separated from the main house, but only by about 10 inches (SW corner of garage sits right next to the NE corner of the house). There's a privacy fence that surrounds 2 sides of it and the only door leading inside is only accessible after navigating the 10ft fence (and thereby setting off the proximity alarm). Thieves can easily get in, but as soon as they do, the doors lock behind them and they're trapped. There are no windows, only a steel side door and a very heavy insulated garage door that needs 2-3 people to lift manually, assuming they know how to unbolt the electrical locking system. It comes equipped with a halon emergency fire extinguishing system. If someone gets violent, in theory I could blow all the oxygen out of there with that.

If all else fails, I'm a trained vet and I have a choice of boom sticks and my neighbor is the county Sheriff.

·
Registered
21 Charger Redeye
100 Posts
The only thing that I like to de-badge is the Dodge and Charger lettering on the trunk lid, just for the sake of looking cleaner without it. These cars don't cost chump change so the SRT and Redeye badging stays.

That being said, anyone that's remotely into cars knows that it's at least a Hellcat, by the hood and brakes alone.

To caveat on what a few other guys said, if you can lay down the coin to own a Redeye, you should have a safe place to keep her.

Maybe it's just me, and a bit off topic, but I always crack up when I roll through an apartment complex and see expensive cars just sitting in the parking lot.. Literally a mortgage payment sitting in the open, but they're paying rent for a place that they'll never own. I guess that some people's priorities are different. :unsure:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts