SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 widebody Redeye Pitch Black.
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going out of town this weekend, taking the Hellcat. Have to stay in a Hoetel one night. Was thinking of popping battery out as a security measure. Is there any adverse effects to doing this?? Any resetting of anything after I reinstall battery? Good idea or no?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
510 Posts
Takes the fun right out of a trip if you have to remove the battery at night. Battery or no battery, the car can be stolen easily by someone with moderate skill level. I would just take normal precautions including parking it in a well lit area, preferably adjacent to a window view from your hotel window. I know that there are a lot of safety devices that are available including kill switches etc. that can be installed but most thieves already know how to circumvent them. These devices only work in slowing the thief down a bit. Just had this conversation today with my wife and I'm resigned to parking it with care when we are out and if it gets stolen, it gets stolen. That's what insurance is for. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you enjoy your trip and get back home safely. The car can be replaced if something happens to it.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ this is what I'm thinking. It's no problem to pop a battery out either. I know there's many ways it could be taken. I was just wondering if I did do this, is there any resetting or anything after battery goes back in. Would it reset drive ability like relearning how I drive, & shift points or anything strange I don't know about? THANKS.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never mind, I just realized I couldn't even pop the trunk without a battery. And I'm not crawling through the backseat... 🤣 I should have figured that out earlier.
Too much electronic gadgetry on these new cars.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,142 Posts
Might be able to hook a string to your emergency trunk release and pull it that way without having to climb in.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody Octane Red
1,500 Posts
Sometimes the radio (head unit) would come back in a default screen configuration vice the HC logo and options. It can take a few key cycles to get back to normal. I think I would pull some relays that would prevent it from running. There may be some other options or fuses too.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sometimes the radio (head unit) would come back in a default screen configuration vice the HC logo and options. It can take a few key cycles to get back to normal. I think I would pull some relays that would prevent it from running. There may be some other options or fuses too.
Much better option. My car lives in my garage, it will very rarely spend the night elsewhere. Maybe only once or twice a year. Guess I shouldn't worry, but I do.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody Octane Red
1,500 Posts
Reactions: 2fast4u

·
Registered
339 Posts
The key fob pouches should be used all the time, not just when traveling. It will prevent replicating your existing keys but do nothing for someone programming a new key.

I think pulling fuses would be the easy short term answer here. It's definitely nothing more than a delay tactic though. Every little bit helps though. I'd also head down to autozone and get a club and/or brake pedal lock. A bunch of little delays can add up IMO

Just try and park in view of your hotel room window, between some big trucks, and not in clear view of the street/highway. It's a big ask, but hey...

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
838 Posts
^ this is what I'm thinking. It's no problem to pop a battery out either. I know there's many ways it could be taken. I was just wondering if I did do this, is there any resetting or anything after battery goes back in. Would it reset drive ability like relearning how I drive, & shift points or anything strange I don't know about? THANKS.
You could also buy a Faraday Bag for your FOB or do what I did once... wrapped my FOB in a Tin Foil Bag overnight. I parked my cat right outside my hotel room so I could watch it, & wrapped the FOB. When done, trashed the Tin Foil Bag.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies, this gives me a few ideas just as an added layer of protection.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,542 Posts
Took numerous road trips in my Porsche cars. (And my other cars too, over the years.)

Stayed at hotels. Make that I stayed at good hotels. I avoided the discount hotels.

I figured my car was reasonably safe. The hotel lot was often full of a number of vehicles, and some were more in demand, to thieves, than my Porsche. And easier to steal.

I tried to park in a well lighted area of the hotel parking lot. Often when I was checking in I'd ask the clerk which areas were covered by CCTV cameras and then arrange to park in that area.

The car was not at the hotel long. I'd often not stop until 9pm or later. Then leave the next morning.

It would be unlikely for a thief to be prowling the various hotel parking lots night after night on the look out for a car to steal.

So I was not really worried.

But what I did worry about was break in. So I made it a point to be sure the cabin was empty of anything and everything so as not to tempt someone to smash a window or cut the soft top -- one of my Porsche cars was a Boxster with a soft top -- to get what was in the cabin.

I was also quite aware of my surroundings when going to the car and walking away from the car. While car theft from a hotel parking lot is not that common there are other threats: Mugging, or car jacking. These don't happen that often at least at the class of hotel I stay at but one has to be careful.

(Years, ago an uncle and aunt of mine were in New Orleans visiting a brother of the uncle. They were staying at a nice hotel in the city. After a night out they returned to the hotel and the brother and his wife found their room door open. He rushed in and was shot and killed by a robber.)

Oh, for some years I have carried a belt mounted can of pepper spray for just in case.

Last but not least, a pic of one of my Porsche cars parked at a (Drury Inn) parking lot in Amarillo TX. While one can't count on this kind of "protection" every night once in a while the stars align just right...

Boxster with Friends Amarillo Tx.JPG

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That was a perfect situation for sure.
We can't get rid of the bad guys, we can only hope to avoid them.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
54 Posts
I got my cat in 2015 and have over 100K miles on it now. I spend at least 75 nights a year in hotels. I try to park in view of my room but it’s better in view of the lobby because I sleep like a rock. Knock on wood, never an issue. I guess I treat it like any car. Lock the doors and don’t leave good stuff in plain sight.
Plenty of other things to worry about than someone wanting your cat. I assume it’s insured?🤔
Hope you have a pleasant trip. The best car to travel in once you stop worrying about it.😁

1 - 20 of 22 Posts