SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After Cat recall I noticed some black watery stains after start up.
Appreciate all the info on this forum and realized it was from condensation leaking from cat mid pipe connection
Took to local exhaust shop and it was easy to see the issue. Had the connection welded and problem solved!
While I was there I had new quad oval tips installed and I think they look pretty bad ass.

If you have watery black leaks on garage floor most likely its from condensation and soot being forced through this connection.

Hope this helps someone else having this issue and thinking its an oil leak....

Attachments

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
353 Posts
I have the same issue after the exhaust (cat) hit an uneven part of the road...driver side only. No damage to the converter, but left a very shine patch where it hit. I noticed the black shoot after the hit. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,400 Posts
I would rather have the condensation drip on the floor rather than wet the balance of the system and blow black chit all over. Both my Hellcats were built that way, and every Hellcat we have seen works that way. I am not changing it. It just is not an “issue” IMO.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat M6
308 Posts
Mine dripped soot only once, so now I just slide an old plastic trunk liner from another car I used to own under the midpipes. But I haven't seen it happen again over the last two weeks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would rather have the condensation drip on the floor rather than wet the balance of the system and blow black chit all over. Both my Hellcats were built that way, and every Hellcat we have seen works that way. I am not changing it. It just is not an “issue” IMO.
My exhaust didn't ever leak until dealer did the cat recall and replace them.. not sure the point your making..
i prefer not having sooty condensation drip on garage floor buts thats just me IMO

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
1,104 Posts
My exhaust didn't ever leak until dealer did the cat recall and replace them.. not sure the point your making..
i prefer not having sooty condensation drip on garage floor buts thats just me IMO
Couldve used exhaust wrap and covered the areas that its blowing out of, and reinstalled the clamps.

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
1,104 Posts
Good point.
Actually I asked him about that but after I said I wanted tips too he said no charge to weld up the clamps..
Gotcha, well it definitely wont leak anymore, just gonna be hard to get to the driveline, but if you dont plan on it anytime soon the no harm done.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,400 Posts
My point is that since people don’t want to see cat piss on their concrete floor, they will modify their car to help the exhaust system retain more moisture/water during startup. My garage floor is not that beautiful. This adds character.

·
Super Moderator
Jeep GC Trackhawk
2,489 Posts
Who makes the quad oval tips and what size OD are they?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would have suggested having the joint replaced with a v-band style clamp over the slip fit if it was that much of a concern. Now you can't separate the exhaust if needed so it will be a cut and weld situation. For most people, no big deal but offering up the above as an alternative for someone whom wants to correct the situation.

They also have gasket material (like RTV) that is designed for slip fit joints that would have solved the problem too.

I guess what I really don't get is why did they leave the clamps on their if it's now fully welded?

I do like the tips though!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts