SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some spirted driving i was doing a short pull in the sport setting at around 20 mph, I have gave it all the gas i could which broke the differential which then made the driveshaft spin off, i rolled the car into parking lot called roadside, got it towed to my house, couple days later i got it towed to the dealership, when the service advisor checked out the car, they stated that the car had "extensive damage" and they told me to go through insurance. The car still has its limited warranty along with a 7 year drivetrain warranty. BTW its a 2019 charger hellcat, wondering peoples thoughts on this and possible ways around this!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
268 Posts
My apologies if you're legit - but always have my suspicions of someone who joined 30 minutes ago to tell us about his blown driveshaft and differential. A 2019 should be under warranty yet and if a dealer is telling you otherwise I feel strongly there is more to this story.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have a 2019 Charger as well and have not had any issues. Sorry for your luck but the parts and labor should be covered under warranty if it is the MOPAR warranty

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 2019 Charger as well and have not had any issues. Sorry for your luck but the parts and labor should be covered under warranty if it is the MOPAR warranty
The dealer wouldnt cover the Driveshaft or differental, i still have the factory 2 year limited and the 5 year drivetrain warranty.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
412 Posts
Bull butter, if you havent braced the rear or swapped drive shafts or done any of that crap there is NO reason for them to deny a claim on warranty. If all said is ture id be going above the dealer to corporate or contacting an attorney at least

·
Registered
280 Posts
Extensive damage FROM the havoc the driveshaft made. Unless there was some damage that could not be explained by the shaft breakage. Some pics?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
107 Posts
This is actually interesting and concerns me because I'm looking to get some drag radials for the car and kinda concerned about this as I've heard about the common twisted drive shafts. I don't think it's often but it has happened of course.

I brought this topic up to the service Manger at the dealership one time and they say they don't cover this as well. I still have factory warranty on my car since it's also a 2019 Cat. Sorry to hear about this but as others mentioned maybe look into another dealership and I might do the same to ask again about this situation since my car is completely stock with no diff brace or upgraded drive shaft or any performance related mods for that matter.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,983 Posts
I brought this topic up to the service Manger at the dealership one time and they say they don't cover this as well.
Nonsense. The entire vehicle is covered. The only way they can deny coverage is for modifications, impact damage or abuse.

If they see rubber all in the rear wheel wells, that would be considered abused. Other mods like a diff brace or other evidence someone's being messing with the car and yeah, they can refuse a repair or worse.

But a stock car blowing the rear diff is covered, period, barring evidence of something else. If your dealer doesn't agree, then you need to go somewhere else. Seriously, a guy like that can get your whole powertrain voided.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
Is your car modded? Were you using drag radials or slicks on the street? If answer to both above is no then dealership has to cover under warranty.

If modded that's on you though.

Thing is you aren't breaking the diff and drive shaft on the street without at least drag radials as street tires won't hold enough grip to do that damage unless there was a MAJOR defect in the rear end.

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
857 Posts
I am going to give you some insight about dealerships and their "knowledge";

I thought I had a bad supercharger bearing like 3 months ago. I take it to a local dealer that a buddy works at because I knew he'd do the work and the recall for cats needed to be done too and didn't want the PCM flashed. I take it there, give it to them and wait. 3 days later service guy calls and says "ok so it wasn't the blower, it was the serpentine tensioner, it killed your factory belt and your idler but we fixed all 3 and Ish used the demon tensioner which is better, so your bill is $574 plus labor" and I asked what bill, and that my car has been verified to still have the 5 year 50k mile powertrain warranty. He said my limited is what covered the issue. I said no, its the powertrain. When he claimed the pulley and tensioner wasn't part of the powertrain I told him to take the belt and pulleys off and to try and turn it on, if it cannot turn on that is defined as a powertrain item.

AFTER 3 WEEKS OF EMAILING DODGE, DODGE CARES, THE DEALER, THE OWNER, EVERYONE I COULD to get them to stop trying to get me to pay a bill for a car that was clearly covered under warranty, it took me leaving work 3 hours early and going there physically to demand to understand what they were doing. The work already being done I couldn't just take it somewhere else, but in the meantime had called 3 other dealers and asked if they had the exact same scenario to tell me what they'd have me pay. they all said "says your car and parts are covered under powertrain"....

I go to the shop, standing in there talking to my service guy and he's promising he's just following the computers instructions. He said "look at my screen Ill show you" and turns the screen. I see after he clicks 3 or 4 times that it keeps saying Bob someone from Sacramento. I say "whose car do you have up, its not definitely not mine, is this just an example?" He goes "no this is your screen and your car". I assure him, I am not Bob and that Baltimore MD is very different from Sacramento CALIFORNIA. He looks at the other service guy (who took delivery of my car upon arrival) and goes "have Ish drop the car down from the lift and lemme know what the vin on the door says". He walks back and this entire time they had 677 as last 3 and my car is 667. Brings up the screen, types new info in with job info and it says clear as day "COVERED UNDER WARRANTY PARTS LABOR INCLUDED" next to the three parts he fixed.

I was so mad but at the end of the day everything worked out. TLDR: Do not trust any single dealer, get 3 opinions but if you're being honest and have nothing to hide they should cover it. We're all brothers and sisters here don't lie to us on the post otherwise we cant help you reliably with recommendations.

On top of it all, they ended up fixing the car but my only gripe still is that I reset the top speed tracker before I gave it to them and when i got it back, it read 108mph. The dealer joy-rode my car but if it was my buddy Ish then idc honestly lol

Noise of the belt tensioner dying
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Failure @33k Miles - YouTube

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I would think even with a drag radial it would be covered. It is a DOT tire and legal to use. The extensive damage caused by the blown differential which included the driveshaft and any other part whether it be the exhaust or transmission should be covered. I would just talk to another dealership. If the whole story is not being told such as a swap from a 2.62 to a 3.09 differential, and/or bracing the differential I could see the dealership making a case. Call around to other dealerships before towing it there. Try to speak to the service manager or even e mail them stating the facts. I think you will be successful if you are persistent. Good luck!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,521 Posts
@hellcatpatty
Is your car modded or not?? Your warranty issues pretty much hinge on that.

Reactions: hellcatpatty

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,396 Posts
FWIW, and probably not much, I had the CV joints on my D200 pickup replaced on a Dodge service department's recommendation. Truck was bought used and not covered by any warranty.

A week or so later on the freeway I stepped on the gas pedal to pass and the leading CV joint failed. The driveshaft whipping around stuck the tail end of the automatic and broke the case.

Dealer service department accepted responsibility for the failed CV joint and (thankfully) for the ruined 727 automatic transmission. At no cost the truck was fitted with a new driveshaft, and a new transmission.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts