SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Hellcat Widebody (destroyer grey)
441 Posts
View attachment 596863

The law would not be on your side and you would be going to jail for a long time for either homicide or murder.
Not hardly, it's called self defense and protecting private property. The trigger wouldn't be pulled unless they provoked it needing to be pulled.

·
Registered
'21 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody
36 Posts
These threads are so upsetting. I essentially refuse to park my scat pack outside in a public area overnight, and even driving down to my folks' place makes me nervous because I have to park in their driveway. I had the RF hub lock done, which provides some peace of mind, but a dedicated thief can still make off with my hard-earned property if they put their mind to it.

It's not just major metro areas, either... the small midwestern city my folks live in had a spate of armed carjackings, exclusively aimed at Chargers and Challengers. Fortunately the two kids were apprehended after leading the police on a car chase, but there will be more like them.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
8,436 Posts
View attachment 596863

The law would not be on your side and you would be going to jail for a long time for either homicide or murder.

Not hardly, it's called self defense and protecting private property. The trigger wouldn't be pulled unless they provoked it needing to be pulled.
Even if you don't shoot, just displaying a gun is a serious crime. I read a story about a guy who showed a gun after an idiot road rager physically threatened him, he ended up getting charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Even though he paid for a good attorney the best deal he could get was a 10-year suspended sentence so probation for 10 years and being a convicted felon. Totally ruined his life and messed up his job and ability to leave the country. So best to try to avoid situations where you might ever need a gun as a lot of bad things can happen that we sometimes don't think about.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'21 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody
36 Posts
Even if you don't shoot, just displaying a gun is a serious crime. I read a story about a guy who showed a gun after an idiot road rager physically threatened him, he ended up getting charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Even though he paid for a good attorney the best deal he could get was a 10-year suspended sentence so probation for 10 years and being a convicted felon. Totally ruined his life and messed up his job and ability to leave the country. So best to try to avoid situations where you might ever need a gun as a lot of bad things can happen that we sometimes don't think about.

You are mostly correct, but I think virtually every state with a statute that penalizes brandishing a deadly weapon (e.g., a firearm) has carve-outs for certain situations - even California has an exception for situations of self-defense. Granted, in order to be cleared of a charge, that requires proving the elements of self defense (i.e., reasonable belief of imminent danger to yourself or another). I do not practice criminal law, but I think a carjacking scenario would probably provide a victim with a pretty strong self defense rationale, especially if the carjacker were armed.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Hellcat Widebody (destroyer grey)
441 Posts

Road range and breaking and entering is night and day. You don't brandish a gun during road range, which could definitely get you in trouble. Breaking into someone's personal property, especially when they are inside is another story. You do not know why the person is breaking in or if they are violent and trying to harm you. At this point, you have every right to pull a weapon and point it at them.

And to prove my point..... Here in Indiana several years back, a guy was sitting in his car in a parking spot at the local mall while waiting on his wife. A perp came up to the car, opened the door and grabbed the guy and tried pulling him from the car to steal it. The guy had his seat belt on, so he was essentially stuck fighting with the perp. He grabbed his gun from his rear wasteband and shot the perp in the head. No charges made and the guy walked free because it was self defense and protection of private property.

·
Registered
34 Posts
1- pull the fuel pump relay. 30 seconds and disabled.
2-why people leave these cars in parking lots is really beyond me. Pretty stupid.
If you are at the parking lot, Hotel, air port or any other tourist spot that you know will sit overnight or for long time, YES pull the fuel pump relay. So simple yet effective, unless they will tow your car, which might happen on the next day, in that case BLOCK your neutral release pull tab. Fuel replay pull is the best.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
568 Posts
Back in the day I had a 87 Grand National I took it to Pennsylvania and parked right in front of the Sheraton hotel I came out at noon and it looked like the hood was not shut. I had wrapped a chain around the brake pedal and through the steering wheel for a deterrent just in case. I also pulled the chip out of the computer. The steering wheel was cut and chain removed but they couldn't steal it without the chip but they destroyed the steering column and pulled some wires out and wrecked some of the dash. When I called someone to get the car he said get back outside immediately if they couldn't drive it away they will come back with a wreaker or truck and tow it away. My buddy would write a slow ET on the window thinking they would pass to get a faster Grand National to steal.
to steal.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat M6
807 Posts
Just my opinion, but since Stellantis promotes many of these events and designates specific hotels as their "ground zero" event hotels, they should step up and provide 24 hour manned parking lot security for however many days the events last. Stellantis profits enormously off these events, which are elaborate marketing promotions for their brand and consumer products. It wouldn't cost the parent corporation so much to provide security and surveillance to protect the property of their loyal customer base. The cost would be offset by the goodwill it generates among its customers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since I see no one ever mention it, I’m assuming the good old fashioned steering wheel lock like The Club doesn’t slow these guys down and isn’t worth getting? Just sucks that I have to add a kill switch, carry my key in a bag, cover up my neutral pull cable, get a wheel boot and take anything I may want in the morning out of the car if I want to take my ride on a road trip and sleep at a hotel. Maybe I’ll just sleep in my car :). I guess I can also just make rental car reservations when I pull in for the night so I know I’ll be able to continue on my journey the following day. Just sucks! First saw the Challenger as a concept car. Saved for 8 years so I could put enough down to get the cost down enough so I could afford the monthly payment. Now some idiot can come take it from me and if I do catch them that’ll probably make the situation worse as I’d have a hard time not introducing them to the Glok and if I don’t end up dead I go to prison as I don’t have the couple of hundred thousand it’d probably take to get a good lawyer and stand a chance. So buy all the gadgets to try and keep my ride or just say F it and hope it’s there in the morning?

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Club takes less than a minute to get through with hack saw, only deters the opportunist. Lots of posts on anti-theft devices but a determined thief will most likely find a way unless it's under guard 24/7. The kill switch, neutral pull cover, wheel lock will all help. Then you can go overboard pulling fuses and components but who really wants to go through all that every time they take their car somewhere.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat M6
807 Posts
Hemimetal I agree, but do you think they want to take responsibility for all those cars?
Hell no! But it's still relatively cheap goodwill that might encourage turnout, which benefits Stellantis. Liability would be limited by written terms Stellantis could easily spell in a terms agreement, using the same type of legal verbiage printed on ticket stubs you receive at paid parking lot garages. Just having private security patrolling parking lots might be enough to discourage thieves and, like any other anti-theft measure, would be another layer of security.

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,853 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
So what events are Stellantis promoting ?
I'm going to Cleveland this weekend for an overnight. Really considering NOT taking the Hellcat because of all this BS. I'll be staying downtown at a hotel that only has valet parking (I will park it myself). I have some precautions installed but nothing that will prevent a tow. I really love taking Big Whtey on trips but I also want to keep her. what to do, what to do?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
8,436 Posts
Reactions: Parshooter
61 - 80 of 104 Posts