SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Charger SRT Hellcat
2,773 Posts
Since I see no one ever mention it, I’m assuming the good old fashioned steering wheel lock like The Club doesn’t slow these guys down and isn’t worth getting? Just sucks that I have to add a kill switch, carry my key in a bag, cover up my neutral pull cable, get a wheel boot and take anything I may want in the morning out of the car if I want to take my ride on a road trip and sleep at a hotel. Maybe I’ll just sleep in my car :). I guess I can also just make rental car reservations when I pull in for the night so I know I’ll be able to continue on my journey the following day. Just sucks! First saw the Challenger as a concept car. Saved for 8 years so I could put enough down to get the cost down enough so I could afford the monthly payment. Now some idiot can come take it from me and if I do catch them that’ll probably make the situation worse as I’d have a hard time not introducing them to the Glok and if I don’t end up dead I go to prison as I don’t have the couple of hundred thousand it’d probably take to get a good lawyer and stand a chance. So buy all the gadgets to try and keep my ride or just say F it and hope it’s there in the morning?
I wouldn't say worthless since it's a visual deterrent from the outside. For $50, it's worth saving a window maybe.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
87 Posts
Sux to hear. Such a sinking feeling realizing ur shit was stolen! *** animals I really hate car theives with a passion! I work hard for my shit and so do all of u! When I was Police we would chase car theives and when we caught them they would get the shit beat out fo them. Yep.....

Right thing to do? Nope. Basically they got what my father would have given to me but since they dont have fathers we played "Dad" for a minute! They thought twice abouit doing that again anytime soon tho..... Cant do that now cause everyone has a dam camera smh.

Pros just run the Vin#. If a locksmith can program a brand new transponder with a Vin# I can assure u professional car theives can as well. If they cant see ur Vin# they just break the window and open the door its right on the side of the door and many have it etched into the glass smfh.

A key decoder or program does not give u the Vin# wirelessly either. The Black Box only works if they have stolen ur code thru the air. Like leaving ur keys near the front door. A Faraday box will prevent that. https://www.amazon.com/Faraday-Protector-Signal-Blocking-Shielding/dp/B07W94QLKM?th=1

In the "Find My" App from Apple one can locate a Airpod so a car theif will find that and toss it.

Guys if u own a Hellcat, Scatpack, Trackhawk...... ANY Mopar u really need to get a kill switch installed. Why are u guys making it so easy for these little cowards to take ur shit? I just dont get it? I mean how many threads and news artices and specials do the Police and or members have to post up before u get it?

"Its not gonna happen to me cause I live in a nice area" yea ok smfh! GET A KILL SWITCH ........ They are nearly impossible to defeat in a short amount of time

It will cost u less than a $150 installed. And if u dont have a GPS unit spend the $12 a month and get one! It hooks right to ur battery u can do it urself then call and sign up for the service. Takes 10 mintes to complete the whole process from instal to registration! An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.......

dodge offers a security update for the hellcat 19 and above, from what i was told, from letter; is that the update will keep someone from reprogramming a new key to car, however the downside is if you loose a key, you have to change the ecm to program new keys for the car… so you can never replace a key or add a key with this update .

·
Registered
2015 Charger SRT Hellcat
2,773 Posts
dodge offers a security update for the hellcat 19 and above, from what i was told, from letter; is that the update will keep someone from reprogramming a new key to car, however the downside is if you loose a key, you have to change the ecm to program new keys for the car… so you can never replace a key or add a key with this update .
I thought it was all of them, from 2015 up? BUT, they're going backwards and there are problems with it right?

·
Registered
'19 Challenger Redeye
1,293 Posts
I thought it was all of them, from 2015 up? BUT, they're going backwards and there are problems with it right?
Yes, all of them....'15 and up. I heard there was some issue with the file being corrupted that locks down the RF module, but I had my '19 RE done at Palmen Motors around 3 weeks ago and there were no issues.

·
Registered
288 Posts
ANYTHING Dodge comes out with will eventually be hacked by Professional car theives. It would be different it was a one-off product thats custom but when 10's of thousands of cars have something it will get hacked. Its just a computer bro I would not trust that for a second!

Dodge has a horrible record for this kinda shit. Security is not high on their list of things to accomplish. This is DUMB. Why was something like this not done originally. Dodge security is a JOKE! Anyone relying on this new update over a kill switch and a GPS needs to have their head examined.

And the sad thing is ppl will just now rely on this and not get a kill switch smh. It wont stop ur car from being towed and a GPS unit is still necessary but this will give ppl a false sense of secuity and assume they dont need anything else.

That the sad part is when theives start hacking this ppl will say "But dodge fixed it"...... yea. I wont be reying on ANYTHING Dodge offers to protect my $100k car especially with a company with the absolute WORST track record for car security.

·
Registered
'19 Challenger Redeye
1,293 Posts
That's pretty much it....except from what I understand it's the RF Module that would need to be replaced if you were to lose all your FOBs after the update. What it doesn't do is protect the signal that your FOB keys transmit from being hacked.
- You'd need to place all your FOB keys in a faraday pouch or something to prevent that....until the low life thugs figure out another way to start your car.

Reactions: Spartacus

·
Registered
797 Posts
This is why we chose to order a Dodge Durango SRT over buying a Trackhawk or DD Hellcat. We need a car to take on vacation and I am not leaving any kind of Hellcat on a parking lot while we are gone on an 8-day cruise. When you personally know 4 people who have had their Hellcats stolen then enough is enough.

·
Registered
429 Posts
1- pull the fuel pump relay. 30 seconds and disabled.
2-why people leave these cars in parking lots is really beyond me. Pretty stupid.
It really is just shitty that you can’t do stuff like travel to car meets and stay in a hotel with your car in the parking lot. It’s almost not worth owning them. I’ve second guessed it a bunch. Going out to dinner with wifey only to have worry about your car the entire time. Pretty much sucks. Definitely agree though, dudes knew what they were getting so really shame on them especially not having an anti theft like a kill switch in the car.

·
Registered
2022 Redeye
1,179 Posts
It really is just shitty that you can’t do stuff like travel to car meets and stay in a hotel with your car in the parking lot. It’s almost not worth owning them. I’ve second guessed it a bunch. Going out to dinner with wifey only to have worry about your car the entire time. Pretty much sucks. Definitely agree though, dudes knew what they were getting so really shame on them especially not having an anti theft like a kill switch in the car.
Should be ok going dinner

·
HOTY Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,191 Posts
I always thought people were too cheap to fork out for a hotel room at the Mopar nats or Chrysler Caslisle. I would see them sleeping in their cars in hotel parking lots and using someones shower in the AM. Now it makes sense. Until the judicial system starts putting criminals on hard work details, a slap on the wrist and they are back out doing it again.
Chop a mans left hand off for a crime, the right hand will think more than twice before committing the same crime...... just saying.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I always thought people were too cheap to fork out for a hotel room at the Mopar nats or Chrysler Caslisle. I would see them sleeping in their cars in hotel parking lots and using someones shower in the AM. Now it makes sense. Until the judicial system starts putting criminals on hard work details, a slap on the wrist and they are back out doing it again.
Chop a mans left hand off for a crime, the right hand will think more than twice before committing the same crime...... just saying.
We're removing statues, changing names, and the kids are now the bosses of the parents.... lets not get carried away and think the justice system is our primary concern here. Take care of your soil and the plants will follow suit.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
256 Posts
I will say this, I have done power tour 5 times now, and every year cars get stolen. This year does seem like more Mopars then in the past, however I have discovered every year the same mistakes are made

People get hotels close to the venue
tons of cars end up in those lots
Usually these are also right next to a major highway.

Every year we get a little bit away from the venues, off the highways, and generally are the only power tour car, or one of only a few, and have never had an issue.

For a car thief, knowing you are going to have 4000 cars in a couple mile radius for a night makes it easy

·
Registered
55 Posts
I will say this, I have done power tour 5 times now, and every year cars get stolen. This year does seem like more Mopars then in the past, however I have discovered every year the same mistakes are made

Every year we get a little bit away from the venues, off the highways, and generally are the only power tour car, or one of only a few, and have never had an issue.

For a car thief, knowing you are going to have 4000 cars in a couple mile radius for a night makes it easy

Bingo, you hit most of the nails right on the head. This is exactly what I was telling someone last week. Prime opportunity for thieves.

·
Registered
55 Posts
the other thing I forgot to mention, at least one Challenger was spared by the fact it was a manual. They got in got it started then realized they couldn't drive it, so they left it.
My friend's Challenger was a manual. From his description of watching the security footage, they broke a window, got in the car, and pushed it away with a Durango Hellcat.

·
Registered
'19 Challenger Redeye
1,293 Posts

If you've been on 5 Power Tours as I have, then you probably already know motels/hotels within 15 miles of the venues get reserved/booked months earlier before the tour. Any hotels closer than that to each venue normally jack up their room prices for that day....they double in price or even more. I've never stayed in those ripoff hotels.

But - I also NEVER had any issues staying at hotels 10 or so miles away from each venue (until this year). Plus, I'm sure you've heard the phrase "there's safety in numbers".....when the hotels are full of PT folks, Parking lots are full of nice cars, hoods are open, lawn chairs are out, beers get popped open and the car shows and repairs go on in the parking lots well into the night. It's part of the whole experience.

So I'm not quite sure why you're saying it's some kind of "mistake" booking a room 10-15 miles from the venues. That's what people normally do....it just happened that these crooks are far more brazen this year compared to the past. - Plus the fact that all Hellcats were targeted by bunches of theives/thugs. No one predicted that....

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
256 Posts
If you've been on 5 Power Tours as I have, then you probably already know motels/hotels within 15 miles of the venues get reserved/booked months earlier before the tour. Any hotels closer than that to each venue normally jack up their room prices for that day....they double in price or even more. I've never stayed in those ripoff hotels.

But - I also NEVER had any issues staying at hotels 10 or so miles away from each venue (until this year). Plus, I'm sure you've heard the phrase "there's safety in numbers".....when the hotels are full of PT folks, Parking lots are full of nice cars, hoods are open, lawn chairs are out, beers get popped open and the car shows and repairs go on in the parking lots well into the night. It's part of the whole experience.

So I'm not quite sure why you're saying it's some kind of "mistake" booking a room 10-15 miles from the venues. That's what people normally do....it just happened that these crooks are far more brazen this year compared to the past. - Plus the fact that all Hellcats were targeted by bunches of theives/thugs. No one predicted that....
There literally is a facebook page called Stolen cars from Power Tour, because every year cars get stolen from the packed parking lots. I'm sorry, while safety in numbers is a thing, at some point people retire to their rooms and then it becomes a thief's choice. But yes, literally every year several cars are stolen on power tour, and other major shows around the country (good guys etc) because the cars become easy targets all gathered together.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my daughter and i attended the power tour and it was a bucket list for her to go to beale st so we went to b.b. kings till closing and left the magnum at the comfort inn which had a private lot which i felt comfy leaving the magnum while we walked to beale st and on monday we got invited by edelbrock to display it on beale st

81 - 100 of 104 Posts