SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Team,

I have a challenger, pretty much stock making 455 hp 470 lb ft torque on dynojet. Add ons are Unlocked PCM, Tune, exhaust, CAI, Straight pipes exhaust, 90 mm throttle body, 275 front and 305 rear tires.

What can I do to make it 485 hp and any quick mods? I was thinking of throwing in some fuel injectors as I have a 90 mm after market BBK throttle body. Any suggestions? Do I have to do any other mods if I consider fuel injectors as my next mod? What would be the expected horsepower gain? What are my other options to get more hp out of stock SRT392.

My ultimate goal is 600 horsepower naturally aspirated. But right now I am only looking to reach 485 - 500 rwhp .

Thanking in advance,
Alien Cop

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Stroked and forged my SRT392 to a 426. Ported and built OE heads with a hogged out OE intake to keep it N/A. Custom grind cam. Figure just a bit under 600HP to the crank on a Mustang Dyno.

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
How much would heads cams, headers and high flow cats add up to, in $$?
Cams are pretty pricey to get installed, plus you will need new springs if you go with a higher lift cam. You're going to easily be in for a few grand when all is said and done for maybe 100hp. Wouldnt even bother with high flow cats, just go catless mids and get tuned for it

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cams are pretty pricey to get installed, plus you will need new springs if you go with a higher lift cam. You're going to easily be in for a few grand when all is said and done for maybe 100hp. Wouldnt even bother with high flow cats, just go catless mids and get tuned for it
But in some states would it be an issue to go catless?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

What if I go for just headers with high flow cats? Do I need to have cams done for it? Just the headers would get me close to 500 I suppose. Any other mods that needs to be considered while doing headers?

·
Registered
116 Posts
What if I go for just headers with high flow cats? Do I need to have cams done for it? Just the headers would get me close to 500 I suppose. Any other mods that needs to be considered while doing headers?
high flow cats are a waste of money. You can hollow your OEM cats out if you want to keep stock appearance, but going catless and knowing someone who can do state inspections if you have them in your area can get you around it. going catless requires the PCM to be tuned so if you have to do an emissions test via OBD2 port, it'll still pass.

You dont need to do a cam swap, but it's the best option you have to get more power out of the 392 unless you want to down the rabbit hole of stroker kits or forced induction

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
high flow cats are a waste of money. You can hollow your OEM cats out if you want to keep stock appearance, but going catless and knowing someone who can do state inspections if you have them in your area can get you around it. going catless requires the PCM to be tuned so if you have to do an emissions test via OBD2 port, it'll still pass.

You dont need to do a cam swap, but it's the best option you have to get more power out of the 392 unless you want to down the rabbit hole of stroker kits or forced induction
Sure We do not have State emmision test for West Virginia. Just the inspection.
While purchasing the headers, do we also need mid pipes if we decide to go catless?

Also I did not get your second part, "You dont need to do a cam swap, but it's the best option you have to get more power out of the 392 unless you want to down the rabbit hole of stroker kits or forced induction" , in case i do not want to go for cams , what would be better to do?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sure We do not have State emmision test for West Virginia. Just the inspection.
While purchasing the headers, do we also need mid pipes if we decide to go catless?

Also I did not get your second part, "You dont need to do a cam swap, but it's the best option you have to get more power out of the 392 unless you want to down the rabbit hole of stroker kits or forced induction" , in case i do not want to go for cams , what would be better to do?
if you get long tubes, Kook's has their catless connection pipes that bolt directly on theirs. Might as well go catless since you'll need a tune for headers anyway.

I'm saying that a camshaft is going to get you the most gains out of any other mod. if you're wanting more power after that, you're going to need forced induction or more cubic inches. It's a deep money pit for 392 owners.

I used to own a scat pack myself. I loved that car, and it was very fun, but I wanted more power after a while and I realized that it was going to be cheaper in the long run to get a hellcat.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Hate to say it OP, but your wallet is chasing a huge cost to increase the HP of your 392. Bests way is to either install a blower or sell it and get a Hellcat. Trust me. I speak from experience and sold my 392 to get the Hellcat...

R.K.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if you get long tubes, Kook's has their catless connection pipes that bolt directly on theirs. Might as well go catless since you'll need a tune for headers anyway.

I'm saying that a camshaft is going to get you the most gains out of any other mod. if you're wanting more power after that, you're going to need forced induction or more cubic inches. It's a deep money pit for 392 owners.

I used to own a scat pack myself. I loved that car, and it was very fun, but I wanted more power after a while and I realized that it was going to be cheaper in the long run to get a hellcat.
Sure so I would require catless connection pipes for sure which I need to order while ordering the long tube headers. My goal is to keep this naturally aspirated as much as I can, without forging the Engine. Let's see how much power can we squeeze out of this 392. In the long run, if I decide to get more power I would have to order the hellcat or some newer version of the challenger. As of now my goal is 600 HP naturally aspirated. My next upgrade would be cams and intake manifold or 426 strokers. I am getting a new hellcat for 51,000 :p 2019.

Also still battling within myself whether I should pay for a wider body or just the normal hellcat or the red-eye? Is the red-eye or wider body even worth it if I am planning to customize it?

Personally I love the skinny look in the challenger and not wide body but would not mind driving a wider body if it's worth it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hate to say it OP, but you're wallet is chasing a huge cost to increase the HP of your 392. Bests way is to either install a blower or sell it and get a Hellcat. Trust me. I speak from experience and sold my 392 to get the Hellcat...

R.K.
Thanks for your 2 cents R.K.
Currently I'm battling with my mind whether I should pay for a wider body or just the normal hellcat or the red-eye? Is the red-eye or wider body even worth it if I am planning to customize it?
Personally I love the skinny look in the challenger and not wide body but would not mind driving a wider body if it's worth it.

I checked a few dealerships and they are selling hellcat normal one for 51,998 automatic.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Thanks for your 2 cents R.K.
Currently I'm battling with my mind whether I should pay for a wider body or just the normal hellcat or the red-eye? Is the red-eye or wider body even worth it if I am planning to customize it?

I checked a few dealerships and they are selling hellcat normal one for 51,998 automatic.
That's totally up to you. When I bought my Hellcat, they didn't have a widebody option. Now they do. Would I buy a widebody? No because I don't particularly like the way the fenders look. Plus the added increase in price for a widebody is a turn off. Tires in the future will cost more etc.. Its heavier than a Narrow body car. But it handles better than a narrow body car. Pick your poison. But that's my opinion. You like what you like and go out a buy it.

R.K.

·
Registered
113 Posts
unfortunately this post reads a lot like "I have $10k to spend, name every mod I can do and what kind of power will I make?"

you're sitting at $3200 for some heads, $1200 for a cam/spring kit, another $500 for a tune, $1500 fpr labor on the cam kit, another $800 on the heads install IF you do them at the same time as the cam. Just Heads and Cam are gonna run you $7200. $400 for a ported intake, $150 install. Then $1400 for headers, another $500 for the catless pipes, and $500 in labor to put them on. Now you're sitting at $10,150 and probably making roughly 525rwhp. Theres always once you get to this point some gains to be had from a larger throttle body, figure another $400. Which are pretty substantial gains to stock but not for that money... now factor in if you were to go big bore as well... you're easily adding another $5000 to the bill. BUT, with all that said and done you'd be sitting somewhere around 550-560 rwhp id guess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had four (4) SRT8 Magnums. Still own two (2) but my DD is 2015 Charger HC. After I got the HC decided to boost the 2007 SRT8 Magnum as it already had Loudmouth (very loud) exhaust and maybe some tune from the PO. Otherwise stock as far as I knew. Dynoed at 460 HP. Went for Edelbrock blower kit and its now 570 HP. So as advised above you'll be talking serious $$ to get to 600 HP bolt on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts