SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Which of these exhausts sounds best on the Trackhawk?

• Stock

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Borla S-Type

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Borla ATAK

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've searched (and read) every topic I could find related to the Borla S-Type exhaust for the Trackhawk. I still have a few questions though that weren't really addressed.

I've heard some owners describe the exhaust as "deeper" sounding, with a nicer startup tone. What i'm looking for is MORE rumbly sound when you're driving around slowly (like say, through a parking lot at a car show, or when driving around the city at "normal" speeds). I got a little scared when someone said "in the cabin, it sounds stock". Is this true?

I'm 95% sure that the ATAK on the Trackhawk is INSANELY loud and WAY too raspy... every audio clip or video I've heard has this weird rattle or vibration sound at the apex of a rev. It sounds irritating to be honest.

As for the S-Type, the FEW videos I've seen (and there aren't many) seem to sound REALLY good.

There really aren't any good clips of the Hawk cruising around with an S-Type though. Can anyone with this exhaust provide me with a little more information about your impressions? Especially after owning it for a while... any regrets? Is it the way to go over the ATAK?

I had an ATAK on my two SRT Jeeps and they sounded AWESOME... but I think the Trackhawk takes the volume up WAY too high.

I just want to make sure if I'm spending nearly $2,000 on an exhaust, there is enough difference where I won't think I wasted the money. I definitely don't want the car to sound like stock!

If it's subtle or barely noticeable, I think I'll just stick with the stock exhaust and learn to live with it.

I really feel like the stock exhaust isn't good enough though. It's OK... but I expect more with a Hellcat motor under the hood.

Also, I've heard that if you use the STOCK TIPS, they stick out? Is this true?

Please give me as MUCH info as possible, and feel free to post videos (if they exist).

If I DO pull the trigger, I commit that I will make a DETAILED video on the S-Type as there is clearly a huge void on YouTube for this particular product (most people have the ATAK it seems).

Thank you,

·
Registered
191 Posts
So the ATAK we have on our SRT Jeep is the axle back version. Is the Trackhawk set up Cat back?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
700 Posts
I love mine (s-type), did the install myself. Tips don't stick out at all. There is adjustment everywhere. Whoever said their tips stick out either had a lazy installer or just didn't try hard enough. As for sound, it has the stock feeling and sound plus some. When you go WOT, you will blow ear drums on cars your passing (so my dad said) I think its a great mix, not to loud, but not to quiet.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love mine (s-type), did the install myself. Tips don't stick out at all. There is adjustment everywhere. Whoever said their tips stick out either had a lazy installer or just didn't try hard enough. As for sound, it has the stock feeling and sound plus some. When you go WOT, you will blow ear drums on cars your passing (so my dad said) I think its a great mix, not to loud, but not to quiet.
Does it add a little more grumble while you're slowly driving around/cruising around the city? Does it make much of a difference at lower speed? I think the Trackhawk sounds pretty cool stock, but it's lacking something at low speed.

I don't have ANY issue with the stock sound at WOT, because I think the Hawk is LOUD already. I just want to fill in the lower RPM band with some cool muscle car sounds.

I ordered it, so I guess I'll find out eventually. I just hope it will be worth the money.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
700 Posts
Does it add a little more grumble while you're slowly driving around/cruising around the city? Does it make much of a difference at lower speed? I think the Trackhawk sounds pretty cool stock, but it's lacking something at low speed.

I don't have ANY issue with the stock sound at WOT, because I think the Hawk is LOUD already. I just want to fill in the lower RPM band with some cool muscle car sounds.

I ordered it, so I guess I'll find out eventually. I just hope it will be worth the money.
I was in the exact same thought mode as you. The new exhaust will make you smile even more! Well worth it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
394 Posts
Hello everyone,

I've searched (and read) every topic I could find related to the Borla S-Type exhaust for the Trackhawk. I still have a few questions though that weren't really addressed.

I've heard some owners describe the exhaust as "deeper" sounding, with a nicer startup tone. What i'm looking for is MORE rumbly sound when you're driving around slowly (like say, through a parking lot at a car show, or when driving around the city at "normal" speeds). I got a little scared when someone said "in the cabin, it sounds stock". Is this true?

I'm 95% sure that the ATAK on the Trackhawk is INSANELY loud and WAY too raspy... every audio clip or video I've heard has this weird rattle or vibration sound at the apex of a rev. It sounds irritating to be honest.

As for the S-Type, the FEW videos I've seen (and there aren't many) seem to sound REALLY good.

There really aren't any good clips of the Hawk cruising around with an S-Type though. Can anyone with this exhaust provide me with a little more information about your impressions? Especially after owning it for a while... any regrets? Is it the way to go over the ATAK?

I had an ATAK on my two SRT Jeeps and they sounded AWESOME... but I think the Trackhawk takes the volume up WAY too high.

I just want to make sure if I'm spending nearly $2,000 on an exhaust, there is enough difference where I won't think I wasted the money. I definitely don't want the car to sound like stock!

If it's subtle or barely noticeable, I think I'll just stick with the stock exhaust and learn to live with it.

I really feel like the stock exhaust isn't good enough though. It's OK... but I expect more with a Hellcat motor under the hood.

Also, I've heard that if you use the STOCK TIPS, they stick out? Is this true?

Please give me as MUCH info as possible, and feel free to post videos (if they exist).

If I DO pull the trigger, I commit that I will make a DETAILED video on the S-Type as there is clearly a huge void on YouTube for this particular product (most people have the ATAK it seems).

Thank you,

You'll love the S-type. I went through this same debate last year. The S-type is louder and does give more rumble at all RPM's / Speeds. The tone in the cabin is a bit higher then stock, but there is absolutely no drone while cruising. The ATAK is even louder, but much more raspy then the S-Type.

Also keep in mind it will get louder over time and more miles are put on it. It'll especially get louder once you start adding mods. I've added a intake and lower pulley to my Trackhawk and that definitely made it even louder since my install. I've also heard the same S-type exhaust on a modded Trackhawk with E85 & upper/lower pulleys and its even louder. (which is the sole reason I went S-Type because the ATAK is just obnoxious raspy loud with mods) So just keep in mind as you add mods it'll get louder. And just FYI if you ever want to go super crazy loud then add headers with cat delete.😲😲

As for the tips they do NOT stick out. I'm using the stock tips myself and you can slide them way in past the edge of the bumper line if you choose to. I debated on the carbon tips, but I have the tow option and didn't want to grind down the hitch for clearance just to use the carbon tips. I personally think the stock tips look great anyway.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the feedback!

The S-Type sounds like it is going to be EXACTLY what I'm looking for! I know when I heard the S-Type on the SRT it was disappointing, but I'll guess the 6.2L engine makes all the difference.

I'll post back when I install it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts