SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Could've posted this sooner, but been spending a lot of time getting to know my car. 2020 regular/narrow body HC. A8, Sunroof, Plus Package (Black Alcantara), Driver Conv., and looks like I got Locking Lugs for free.

Was originally going to order 6M WBHC, but with the books still closed and my situation finally just right, the wait was becoming too much. So I've been watching inventory everywhere, and the price on this car got really close to the Group Deal discount that Craig Benner has with Koons. Close, but not quite, but definitely worth a few extra coins for me to get a car that ticked most boxes RIGHT NOW! No, I did not pay double destination charge. Admin fee was non-negtioable. Price was set too. Guess what: The numbers were still better than what I was seeing anywhere else. Craig was always responsive to questions (even if I caught him on a day off), kept me in the loop with the purchasing process and sent me videos of:
-the cost breakdown
-exterior
-interior
-cold start
-and even him filling it up the day before I flew in.

The Drive:
  • So it was roughly 1050 miles from Koons to my house. I split it up in 2. Flew in Tuesday morning to Dulles (IAD) and took a $27 Uber right to Koons. Because of Covid, they don't pick up from the airport right now.
  • Got to the dealership and started taking pics of the car as soon as I stepped out. Craig met me, handed me the keys, went over anything I had questions about, and sent me on my way. All paperwork was handled electronically and through FEDEX previously. I literally spent 15 minutes at the dealership including the time it took to load the phone mount and charger, insurance card, snacks, luggage, etc. (Radar detector went up after leaving VA.)
  • I honestly tried to go back roads for the first 100 break-in miles. But after calming my nerves being in a high HP car in a place I had never been, I said SCREW IT! Jumped on the interstate and just stayed behind the slow cars. Speed limit was like 60, so honestly going 55 was easy. And there was some traffic.
  • 100-300 miles. Still babied the car. I stopped often for whatever reason I could think of (snacks, drinks, bathroom) just to let the diff cool like Slidd suggested, but also to get a few runs in different RPM ranges.
  • 300-500. At this point it really is like break-in light. From what I gathered, they basically didnt want you flooring it or doing burnouts. At this point I had already been pulling into every rest area just to run the car from a dead stop. Using the paddle shifters is hella fun. I honestly have to say at this point, I don't miss the stick because the paddles are just soooooooo fun.
At this point I was already halfway. So I stopped for the night and got a room. I'm not sure how you guys do it. I was nervous parking the car and leaving it out in the open overnight. Fortunately, I think I was the last one in (1130PM) and first one out (530AM). The only parking spot open was between a truck and a van so the car was hidden from the street, but I made sure to leave early enough so that I wouldn't get door dinged. Coincidence: I had a clear view of my car from the hotel room. Made sure to sleep with the keys (in their faraday pouches) next to the bed.

The rest of the drive was mostly uneventful. There's a lot to help you pass the time as you try and learn all the different gauges and customizations of your car. This thing isn't a German luxury car, but it's got way more features than you really need.

Oh there was that time in Georgia where my Valentine1 Gen2 made a down payment on itself. There was a LEO shooting radar/laser from behind an overpass. The V1 went off with a little over half a mile to go. It's enough distance that I was able to cancel cruise control and coast down to about 5 or 6 over the speed limit. Some woman in a Tahoe passed me immediately going at least 10 over. The cop immediately turned his car to run down the interstate and as soon as we passed he got into it. I was worried because we all know these cars attract attention. Fortunately he blew past me and lit up the Tahoe. So I figure that's at least $100 that the V1 has already saved. It may not have the furthest alert distance, but it's enough for me to react.

First Impressions:
  • Didn't realize how low the roof is and how tight getting in can be. The roof almost feels chopped (love it!). Been driving a minivan and SUVs for a few years, so it's quite the change. Yes, I bought a HC without ever having sat in a Challenger. I'm 5'7" 200+ lbs and I get why the Sunroof would be a problem for taller people or anyone wearing a helmet for track/strip. I'm long in the torso for 5'7" and I have maybe about 2" clearance to the Sunroof indent in the headliner. And while Sunroof wasn't something I would have ordered, I have used it every single time I've driven the car. It just helps with the wind in your hair (both of them for me) and lets you hear the exhaust and supercharger whine more.
  • She really isn't that big. I was worried about feeling like I was driving a boat. This car is very well balanced, and parking it in the garage is actually easier than my 2016 Honda Pilot.
  • Indigo Blue is amazing. It does have some purple in the shade or dim light. Again, something I really like. In the bright sun, you can see all the different metallic flecks. I like to think of it as "Brilliant" Blue.
  • The Alpine system isn't really that bad. Type of media does make a difference. XM sucks for quality. FM HD Radio and listening to Spotify were great. Not audiophile great but better than a lot of other base-ish systems. Audiobooks were clear too. It actually puts out a decent amount on the low end (bass), so the range is there. Overall I would say that the soundstage is a little muddled and it sounds like you're listening to everything from behind a thin curtain (everything is a tad muffled like the Dolby button used to do on your cassettes). I've already got 2 shelves in the garage filled with audio equipment because I like doing my own stereo work anyway.
  • How did anybody ever wreck right out of the dealership? This car is a * cat unless you ask her to be mean. I was so worried about a "hair trigger" on the go pedal. Alas, my Toyotas are more sensitive when you press the gas. In the HC, you really have to be intentional with getting it to step out.
  • Blind spots - yup, they suck. Don't trust you're wife (or other passenger) to tell you it's clear.
  • Brake dust is absolutely horrible! Got Powerstops ordered.
  • People love this car. I live on a long cul-de-sac and the day I got home, the lunch I had just picked up sat for an hour and half while all the neighbors wanted to talk about muscle cars, the good ole days, and take a ride.
A few days, a few mods:
  • Maxpider floor liners
  • Neutral Pull Cover - courtesy of Tailhappy
  • Xpel PrimeXR Ceramic tint - Black 35% on front windows, Black 20% on rear windows and rear windshield. (The AS-1 line is so close to the roof, I told them not to worry about putting a small strip on the front window.)
Next (will be doing all these myself, so may take a while):
  • Brake pads
  • Stereo (replace factory speakers, add subs and sub amp)
  • Paint correction and Graphene Matrix coating

And yes, the bumper bananas are history. Thanks for sharing in the start of my journey!

·
Registered
2021 widebody Redeye Pitch Black.
521 Posts
That's pretty awesome! Thanks for that. I had originally planned on a trip like that to get my car, but a local dealer met and slightly beat the best price I could find. So I am waiting for my ordered car. Gotta love a good car trip!! Enjoy it!!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
338 Posts
Honestly, I would just ceramic coat the wheels and make it super easy to spray off the dust. Just me though :D

Great color btw... love that Indigo Blue...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
785 Posts
Hey congrats on a great looking Hellcat Challenger. Enjoyed your observation while breaking in the beast. Enjoy your new ride and be safe.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's pretty awesome! Thanks for that. I had originally planned on a trip like that to get my car, but a local dealer met and slightly beat the best price I could find. So I am waiting for my ordered car. Gotta love a good car trip!! Enjoy it!!
Yeah, I first started off by asking for quotes on REWB from Mike at Dan Cummins and Craig at Koons. Honestly, the better deal (from what I had in front of me) was to order from Dan Cummins. But after doing some real soul searching, I decided to just stick with normal HC. At that point it was a matter of "wait to order and then wait some more" or "buy a car right now that is a 90% match from Craig". The numbers worked for me, and my wife was getting tired of me searching for MY car - gotta hate that!

I hope you get yours from Dan Cummins soon!

Honestly, I would just ceramic coat the wheels and make it super easy to spray off the dust. Just me though :D

Great color btw... love that Indigo Blue...
Thanks. Indigo is #2 behind Plum Crazy. But wanting a new Plum Crazy wasn't really in the cards - not upset about it. I'm sitting here in the garage staring at the car while I type this. Did think about ceramic coating the wheels, but a lot of people have had good experiences with the Powerstop Z26 and the price isn't much different from a decent bottle of ceramic. So might as well get some use out of the new jack and jack stands I bought!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
338 Posts
Thanks. Indigo is #2 behind Plum Crazy. But wanting a new Plum Crazy wasn't really in the cards - not upset about it. I'm sitting here in the garage staring at the car while I type this. Did think about ceramic coating the wheels, but a lot of people have had good experiences with the Powerstop Z26 and the price isn't much different from a decent bottle of ceramic. So might as well get some use out of the new jack and jack stands I bought!
My number 1 still is Plum Crazy, and I'm with you all the way. My #2 was B5 Blue which again wasn't in the cards.... so the Indigo Blue was the choice :D

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
268 Posts
Yup, that Indigo Blue is a great color! I like it and I could put PCP, Indigo Blue and Torred 1A,1B, and 1C in no particularorder! Plus you got a fun road trip out of the deal too! Congrats and enjoy the hell out of that car!

·
Registered
2017 Challenger HC 6M
150 Posts
Congrats man! Thanks for sharing your in-depth experience! Really enjoyed the read, emotions and input.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Congrats on your new ride!! We had somewhat the same type of experience buying ours at Koons. It was April 4th, 2020 at the height of COVID. Took us 5 1/2 hours to get there but 7 hours and 20 minutes to get home with the break in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Glad you had a awesome experience! I also bought my hellcat from Koons about 2 months ago. Had an awesome buying experience and even better 500mile ride home! No one was able to beat koons pricing, and on top of that I was extremely happy buying from them and definitely will buy another car from them. They can call the fee, destination charge or whatever they want, still no one could beat their OTD price.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
855 Posts
Great read and pics, though the one with the car between the van and the pickup sent chills up my spine. Lol Enjoy your new machine!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye
1,413 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
223 Posts
Road trips in fast cars are fun,bought a charger in Kentucky and sped whole way back to Colorado,nothing but fun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was working with Koons as well about 3 weeks ago. Next thing I know price jumped 2K. Now I’m kicking myself and can’t pull the trigger.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was working with Koons as well about 3 weeks ago. Next thing I know price jumped 2K. Now I’m kicking myself and can’t pull the trigger.
If you're lucky, it'll still be there when the price drops again. Just keep watching. There are times where it changes twice in a week.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good write up, I wish I could say my experience with Koons was as pleasurable as yours. One thing I absolutely don't agree with you about: The alpines are trash - absolute trash. My first Challenger had the HK's. I downgraded in my second challenger and got the Alpine system. My third Challenger has the HK's. Don't make my mistake.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes I have been watching the price like a hawk. Today the price went up $200 so who knows. I have never seen a dealership change their price so much. Usually around where I’m located the price changes the first of the month when manufacturers incentives change.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts