SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning up my brakes after a routine wash and noticed what looked like water spots, however upon closer inspection it looks like the clear coat is being eaten by something. I have no leaks, never seen any brake fluid, its a 2018 I bought new and now it has 14k miles. Anyone had this happen? I would assume my chances with a warranty claim or slim?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,679 Posts
You sure there's no chance a dog might have hit the caliper with urine?

If not that then it just looks like an early failure of the paint/clear coat.

But what is actually going on and what can be done about it these are questions for a dealer service department.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
152 Posts
There are some older post on this issue somewhere, maybe others have a link but I remember warranty claims fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,835 Posts
I would bet the warranty will cover this.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never used anything but soap and brushes. Taking it to the dealershp today.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
60 Posts
Good luck with your Dealer. I had the same thing happen on my 2006 Magnum SRT8 but, honestly I did use a 50% Water and 50% Super Clean in a spray bottle when I first bought the car (new). I am super careful with my 2015 Hellcat but, at only 4,500 miles, I might not be a normal example. Please keep us informed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My passenger side front caliper did the same thing a few months ago, and yes, my local dealership replaced the caliper under warranty.
I noticed my front driver side doing the same recently (must have been a bad batch); dealership has ordered one to replace under warranty as well. 32k miles on my 2017 HC.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
53 Posts
Fed Brembos have been peeling since 2006 when the SRT-8’s first came out. It’s a coating issue. If you look the red paint is chalky and oxidized. Creates a bond breaker issue with clear. Bottoms line Brembo’s coatings have sucked for years. It’s very difficult to get replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I bought my 2019 Charger HC in September and having the same issue...power coating flaking off.
Took the car dealership last week, let's see if power coating is under warranty.

IMG_3533[1].JPG

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
95 Posts
Bessie had the same problem - my dealer ordered a new caliper and replaced it under warranty no questions asked. Called it a caliper clear coat failure.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
10 Posts
So here's my story.... I own a 2017 Charger HC with 10.5K miles, I noticed the caliper finish was chipping off. ( As a case in point I have never used anything but soapy water to clean them) My first call was to my local dealership and was advised to bring it in for a technician to inspect it. In the same breath the representative said it would likely be rejected for warranty replacement, because the Brembo brakes are "aftermarket" but I should try anyway. My next call was to Brembo. I spoke to one of their tech guys who claimed the calipers do not have a clear coat finish. That Brembo uses a proprietary process of powder coating then baking. The tech said FCA should totally warranty the calipers that I should contact FCA. My third "call" (actually it was done via FCA's home page email) was to FCA. I wrote a brief explanation and within two or three days I received a call from an FCA's SRT group representaitive. He set up a date and time for me to take the HC to the dealership to have the calipers photographed, then the photos were submitted to the SRT rep. A few days later I received a notice that my warranty claim request was rejected. However in order to "maintain customer satisfaction" FCA/SRT was willing to pay for up to 50% of replacement and labor costs, and I only had "thirty days " to accept the offer. I did not accept the offer out of a matter of general principal. For whatever reason FCA recognizes the Brembo brakes as an after market addition. Which makes no sense to me.I have spoken to Chevy guys that have Brembo brakes and they too are experiencing "clear coat" chipping. It seems to me that the problem lies with Brembo's manufacturing process. Any way I would like to throw out there that we should consider some way of creating a "class action" complaint to FCA and Brembo

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
53 Posts
4 SRT-8’s and 2 Hellcats. The only one that had no problems with the Brembo coating was my 2012 300 SRT. They were silver. It’s definitely a Brembo problem and they have know about it for a number of years.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,146 Posts
lots of threads on this. mine are all like that.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
66 Posts
Yea my 2015 has this issue but much worse. Both front have it all over, then the dust stains it from there. Just cosmetic though. One day I'll just powder coat them.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Got great news yesterday. My dealership will warranty the power coating on the wheel.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update to the brake caliper clear coat failure. The dealership found that both fronts are having clear coat failure. My old eyes didnt see the driver side. They are replacing both under warranty. I think being able to use the term provided here "clear coat failure" worked for me. If I had not read that here I would have stumbled over what to say, so thanks!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And the calipers they ordered came from another dealer and they were both damaged. Front Calipers are on back order..........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts