SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have anyone experienced irritating nose coming from their brakes when coming to a stop? Pads look great but squealing noise exist.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody Indigo Blue with Graphics Package
1,285 Posts
Check for something caught in between rotors and pads. Maybe take everything apart and give it a good cleaning??

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
794 Posts
Have anyone experienced irritating nose coming from their brakes when coming to a stop? Pads look great but squealing noise exist.
Yes, I have posted several threads on how to fix this issue & yes, this works. You can remove existing pads, perform this procedure, lightly whiz the pad surface to remove imbedded paint particles, lube all steel plate contact points and reinstall and drive. No need to touch the rotors.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you're low tech, like me, you can just put it up on jack stands, remove the wheels and loosen the caliper bolts. Pull the caliper sides off and pull the pads out. Lightly sand the flat of the pad with a fine grit sandpaper on a block/piece of 2 by 4 and also the pad edges. Wipe the pad off with a clean rag and reinstall. If the car doesn't vibrate when you brake and the rotors look smooth, don't mess with them.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 426
1,912 Posts
Are you one of those guys, like me, who never drive it in the rain or wet conditions? The only wash it gets is detail spray on occasion. Maybe once a year I’ll attack it with a hose & soap. I find once I get out the compressor to knock the dust out around the brakes then shoot it with a hose, the squeal goes away for a while.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
895 Posts
What car, location??????? Do you have the normal size pads, or those reduced area ones to stop the squealing on the back?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I have posted several threads on how to fix this issue & yes, this works. You can remove existing pads, perform this procedure, lightly whiz the pad surface to remove imbedded paint particles, lube all steel plate contact points and reinstall and drive. No need to touch the rotors.

View attachment 572743
Thank you. I'm definitely going to try this. I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What car, location??????? Do you have the normal size pads, or those reduced area ones to stop the squealing on the back?
The noise is coming from the front brake pads. I'm going to try taking everything apart this weekend and giving it a good cleaning.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Brembo brake pads are known squealers, not too mention the crazy amount of dust. The best thing you can do is clean the dust build up off, thats if you don't want to change your pads. Otherwise you can change to a quality pad like PowerStop Z26.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to take them off this weekend and inspect them. I'll look into the PowerStop Z26. Might just go with the upgrade.

Thank you

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
794 Posts
Guys, it's only about the paint on the sides of the friction puck being softened by brake heat, & tiny bits of sticky, tacky paint rolling in between the pad & the rotor, causing the brake pad to chatter on the rotor at a very high frequency, which we hear as brake squeal. Remove the paint and the noise stops 100%.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
794 Posts
I'm going to take them off this weekend and inspect them. I'll look into the PowerStop Z26. Might just go with the upgrade.

Thank you
You can't see the microscopic paint bits on the pad surface, but the bits are there.

You also have to remove the paint from the Z26s as well. Unfortunately, all pads are painted.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
895 Posts
Here's the two types. They put the smaller one on Scat Packs and Hellcats late 2019? to stop squealing. There were dozens of posts on this. The smaller, newer ones left a big, untouched ring on the rear rotors.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 426
1,912 Posts

Thank you
It tried the Z26’s and they made noise too. I think we’re just cursed with all that pad surface area on the 6 piston.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
794 Posts
Here's the two types. They put the smaller one on Scat Packs and Hellcats late 2019? to stop squealing. There were dozens of posts on this. The smaller, newer ones left a big, untouched ring on the rear rotors.
View attachment 572756
Making a pad with a smaller contact area (not a new attempted solution) is really just a band aid for the noise problem caused by paint on the pucks and incorrect installation. Smaller contact points require more clamp force to generate the same brake torque. More clamp force usually minimizes/eliminates the possibility of the pad chattering on the rotor, thus quieter supposedly.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
794 Posts
It tried the Z26’s and they made noise too. I think we’re just cursed with all that pad surface area on the 6 piston.
Because you didn't remove the paint. I'm running Z26s on all 4 corners and I removed the paint prior to install. They are 100% quiet. It's the paint.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Making a pad with a smaller contact area (not a new attempted solution) is really just a band aid for the noise problem caused by paint on the pucks and incorrect installation. Smaller contact points require more clamp force to generate the same brake torque. More clamp force usually minimizes/eliminates the possibility of the pad chattering on the rotor, thus quieter supposedly.
well thats what Dodge is doing. Here a pic of my 2020 with 5000miles

Attachments

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
794 Posts
well thats what Dodge is doing. Here a pic of my 2020 with 5000miles
Yeah, have seen a similar pic from another owner. Am not a fan. Lost contact area and thus brake torque sacrificed.

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
123 Posts
Change the pads dude. Extremely simple and your wheels will stay 80% cleaner and you'll have no noise with the right pads. Mine started making the same screech at 22k miles, I finally changed them at 28k miles and there wasn't much pad left at all. I used the carbon ceramic from Powerstop and they work great

1 - 20 of 26 Posts