SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2015 Challenger SRT 392 with just under 28k miles. I just replaced the oem pads with EBC yellowstuff pads as they were getting to the end of their life and starting to squeal a bit when stopping. With the new pads I am getting a loud squeak from the rears. The shop that did them told me rotors were fine and they just squeak sometimes since they are high performance pads/rotors. However, this is a louder and lower pitch squeak than what I consider "normal" break squeak. The sound seems to go away during hard breaking and just present when I am lighter on the brake pedal. A friend told me it could be the pad just shifting slightly in the caliper when braking causing the squeak. Do I buy new rotors for the rears? Have I not given enough time for them to bed?

· Registered
Challenger SRT 426
2,348 Posts
I feel your pain. I tried the EBC reds with much frustration. If you look on the box, they don’t tell you until after purchase that, they will not do anything for you until you have 1K miles on them! I put the miles on and they still wouldn’t do anything in terms of a refund or exchange. Luckily I purchased them from CarID and they eventually let me return them after requiring me to make and send them this vid. After experimenting with 7 different pad manufacturers, I’ve settled on Stop Tech. All the OE Brembo bite with less dust.

BTW, really pisses me off that ScrewTube attaches an add to my vids. and I’m not even monetized!

· Registered
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
973 Posts
I seriously considered the EBC YellowStuff pads until I read several reports about them being noisy. I’m just going to go back to the crappy PowerStop Z26s and switch out as needed to the OEM Brembo pads for track events. I’ve come to the inevitable conclusion that no one pad does it all.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,559 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2015 Challenger SRT 392 with just under 28k miles. I just replaced the oem pads with EBC yellowstuff pads as they were getting to the end of their life and starting to squeal a bit when stopping. With the new pads I am getting a loud squeak from the rears. The shop that did them told me rotors were fine and they just squeak sometimes since they are high performance pads/rotors. However, this is a louder and lower pitch squeak than what I consider "normal" break squeak. The sound seems to go away during hard breaking and just present when I am lighter on the brake pedal. A friend told me it could be the pad just shifting slightly in the caliper when braking causing the squeak. Do I buy new rotors for the rears? Have I not given enough time for them to bed?
It's not normal... remove the paint per the pic and reinstall. This will eliminate all brake noise whether light braking or heavy braking. The fact that you can attenuate the brake noise by applying greater pedal pressure tells me this will fix you issue.

· Registered
1,169 Posts
I think your approach is valid..you posted before me..but from my own experience on my street driven track car over 25 years with big brembos and at least 5 different pad compounds over 4 different manufacturers no "alteration" of pad edges/sanding of rotors/reinstalling pads ect cures the cold squeal on some pads....personally I'm not a fan of EBC I think they were big into motorcycle pads and pivoted to cars..

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,559 Posts
I think your approach is valid..you posted before me..but from my own experience on my street driven track car over 25 years with big brembos and at least 5 different pad compounds over 4 different manufacturers no "alteration" of pad edges/sanding of rotors/reinstalling pads ect cures the cold squeal on some pads....personally I'm not a fan of EBC I think they were big into motorcycle pads and pivoted to cars..
"Cold Squeal" is usually caused by microscopic surface rust after sitting overnight in high moisture/humidity environments. One or two brake applies & the surface rust is gone & so is the noise caused by the rust.

Brake noise caused by the paint lasts all day.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,559 Posts
I agree but some pads like ferodo 2500 ,Hawk blues, Performance Friction #1, XP8 and 10 ...just occasionally squeal..I have no experience with EBC pads...OEM pad compounds are designed not to.
Remove the paint per the pic prior to installing any pad, lubricate all contact points and the pads won't squeal.

· Registered
8 Posts
ArchGE . . . That squeal would drive me nuts. I am getting close to pad replacement day and want to ditch the OEM Brembos . . . too much dust, but they do stop the car just great. After reading a bunch online I was considering the EBC Yellow Stuff. The Red Stuff pads were said to be high dust as you have noted. Anyone have a recommendation for aftermarket pads?

· Registered
2015 Charger SRT Hellcat
4,012 Posts
Do you guys know about the rear pad re-design to combat the noise? I found these on my 2019 and asked about it a year? ago. Are your rear pads scalloped like these (normal on left, newer design right) Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Gas Hardwood
?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.