SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Hellcat community,

I have a 2020 hellcat (standard body) with ~1700 miles and I've noticed break squeal when breaking at low speeds. Is this normal? Typically I would correlate the noise to a wear in typical break pads but wanted to see with the brembo brake if this is normal/experienced by others.

Thanks!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
796 Posts
Hello Hellcat community,

I have a 2020 hellcat (standard body) with ~1700 miles and I've noticed break squeal when breaking at low speeds. Is this normal? Typically I would correlate the noise to a wear in typical break pads but wanted to see with the brembo brake if this is normal/experienced by others.

Thanks!
Remove all pads, remove the paint per the pic, lightly skin the surface of all pads to remove microscopic paint, lubricate all contact points with high-temp silicone lube and reinstall. No need to touch the rotors.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 426
1,913 Posts
Have you ever bedded them in? Took mine out, when new, to the local road course for a little work-out and never had any noise issues with many miles on them.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,476 Posts
Hello Hellcat community,

Thanks!
With various cars over the years, new or with hundreds of thousands of miles on them, a bit of brake squeal has appeared. For a very light brake squeal I have found washing the brakes to remove the brake dust that collects on -- in this context -- the piston dust boots eliminates the noise for a while. The brake dust begins to accumulate right after the washing but the noise can take months to reappear.

I have never had to remove the pads to remove any paint. Not saying this might not be needed in some cases just saying I have never had to do this to cure the brake squeal my cars manifested.

The car probably developed rusty rotors on the dealer lot -- it is quite common with new cars just walk through a new car lot and look at the brake rotors on the new cars -- and the initial "load" of brake dust is increased by the rust that the pads removed from the rotors.

My advice is to wash the brake hardware at a DIY car wash. After take the car out and use the brakes hard enough to get them hot to ensure all the brake hardware is dry. If you have not yet done so treat the brakes to a bedding in. My technique is to accelerate the car up to some speed -- highway speed or ? -- and then apply the brakes to slow the car very quickly -- but short of brake lock up/ABS intervention -- down to say 50mph. 'course, you must be on a road where this slowing doesn't not cause any concern with other drivers behind you. Then immediately accelerate back up to speed and slow the car again. Do this one more time for a total of 3. I have found even with new brakes there is no real benefit after the 3rd braking event.

After be sure to drive the car long enough to give the brake hardware time to cool down. Do NOT bring the car to a stop during the bedding in process or after until you have driven the car long enough for the brakes to cool down.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
917 Posts
My 2019 rears were loaded with that copper-colored spray on coating, and never squealed a bit; BUT I did have the newer scalloped pads also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts