SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, this is only my second post here. I mainly read the posts to learn more about my car. I have a 2019 Charger Hellcat with 5000 miles. It's not a daily driver. I mostly take it out on weekends. I do not race it and mostly do "sporty" driving when and where I can when I can avoid traffic and the lawman. Anyway, recently I've noticed a shudder in the braking when I am coming to a stop at a red light or in traffic. It only happens when I'm slowly decreasing speed and nearing a full stop. The car seems to lurch and it feels like the brakes are releasing and then re-engaging. It doesn't do it every time and seems to happen after I've driven a bit. Has anyone experienced this? I'm no mechanic and only know enough to be dangerous. If anyone can offer any insight that would be very helpful and much appreciated.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
796 Posts
Does the steering wheel shimmy and/or the brake pedal pulsate during the event?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could it be the transmission downshifting? It's automatic, not manual trans.

·
Registered
In The Market
1,319 Posts
5k here too. Have not noticed it. 2020 HC C Redeye. Has the occasional click or double click when stopping. At rest. Some kind of 2 piece related reset. Probably different but fyi. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,398 Posts
If it’s brake material on the rotor, you need to do several 80mph hard stops and then drive it for 5 minutes without braking to allow the rotors to cool. This should knock any contamination off the rotor surface and rebed the pads.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,476 Posts
Hey folks, this is only my second post here. I mainly read the posts to learn more about my car. I have a 2019 Charger Hellcat with 5000 miles. It's not a daily driver. I mostly take it out on weekends. I do not race it and mostly do "sporty" driving when and where I can when I can avoid traffic and the lawman. Anyway, recently I've noticed a shudder in the braking when I am coming to a stop at a red light or in traffic. It only happens when I'm slowly decreasing speed and nearing a full stop. The car seems to lurch and it feels like the brakes are releasing and then re-engaging. It doesn't do it every time and seems to happen after I've driven a bit. Has anyone experienced this? I'm no mechanic and only know enough to be dangerous. If anyone can offer any insight that would be very helpful and much appreciated.
Reads like what has happened in uneven pad material deposition on to the brake rotors.

This can happen with new brakes if they are subjected to a hard/emergency stop before being bedded in.

Also, as was my experience, if the car is washed and left to sit after the rotors will rust up. If the brakes are not used enough to remove the rust a hard/emergency stop can have the brakes pulsing after.

When this happened I tried bedding in the brakes (again: I had bedded them in shortly after I picked up the car from the dealer) but the bedding in operation never eliminated the pulsing. I adopted a more aggressive braking technique -- but nothing dangerous or scary to other drivers -- that avoided the light application of the brake pedal when coming up to a stop. The benefit is the new technique resulted in exceptional brake service life. I drove that car to 150K miles on its original brakes.

You can try bedding in the brakes to see if it will help. It might. Doesn't cost anything to try.

If it doesn't help you can experiment to see if you can come up with a braking technique that avoids the light application of the brakes which results in the pulsing. A braking technique that doesn't deviate too far from the "norm" so as to not scare or surprise other drivers but one in which brakes are applied a bit more aggressively to avoid the light braking that result in the pulsing.

The alternative is to other than living with brake behavior to have the rotors resurfaced or replaced.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
917 Posts
You "may" be able to clean the uneven deposits off by sanding with Garnett paper. Not aluminum oxide since it will leave metallic particles on there.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,476 Posts
You "may" be able to clean the uneven deposits off by sanding with Garnett paper. Not aluminum oxide since it will leave metallic particles on there.
Aluminum oxide abrasive is fine for cast iron rotors. Garnett (silicon based abrasive) is for non ferrous metals, non metal materials.

In any case one wants to avoid breathing in the dust the sanding will give off and to ensure the rotors are dust free after. Brake cleaner will remove the dust.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,747 Posts
Aee you sure it’s in the braking and not the “bump“ we all feel when coming to a stop when not in street mode? What mode do you drive in? Have you changed that lately and maybe arent used to that?

Reactions: Dennis H

·
FCA Official
Challenger SRT Hellcat
348 Posts
Hi ESP7,
We apologize for the trouble you are experiencing. If you are not able to remedy this concern with the advice provided here, we kindly recommend connecting with your local Dodge dealer. If you are in need of any assistance with that process, our team is available via private message.

Rob
Dodge Cares

1 - 15 of 15 Posts