SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
In The Market
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just called SRT customer service to try and get an update on my '21 SS and I was told that the Brampton plant is closed for the week of 9-20 to 9-24 because of a chip shortage. SRT said the plant could be closed longer, but they were not sure. They did tell me that they have all the parts for my build and they were just waiting to start building it. I just hope I get in before the 0% for 72 runs out.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
307 Posts
And there it is.... the week of the 27th as well :mad:
View attachment 580614
When is this chip shortage going to end? I mean it's been going on for so long. With the shortage, I'm wondering if this is tied to the manual transmission orders being delayed. I know they have said it's a calibration issue, but maybe they need the "right" chips in order to perform the calibration certification?

· Registered
322 Posts
When is this chip shortage going to end? I mean it's been going on for so long. With the shortage, I'm wondering if this is tied to the manual transmission orders being delayed. I know they have said it's a calibration issue, but maybe they need the "right" chips in order to perform the calibration certification?
No, that's not correct. If the issue with the Manual Hellcat is related to their emissions certification from the EPA, then the "chip" shortage is not to be blamed for it. That TREMEC TR6060 requires no chip to best of my knowledge. Going back to the emissions certification that usually happens when a manufacturer (Stellantis) makes a modification to their engine Hardware/Software and/or there's a change on the regulation (more stringent emissions requirements) that any engine manufacturer needs to comply with. Typically a transmission on it's own doesn't emit emissions pollutants to the atmosphere on it's own and being honest with you I'm not familiar with the automotive EPA regulations (not sure if the certification is granted to the engine as a standalone component or if it is a combo of engine + transmission -highly doubt is the latter-).

From what I've been able to read from different sources in the Interweb is that more than likely it is tied in to the CAFE regulations (Thanks to the Woke OBAMA-BIDEN Admin...), meaning Stellantis can't meet the the overall fleet MPG requirements and the fact that the M6 option is less efficient than the A8 version, plus wouldn't be surprised if they are short and/or at the limit with their emissions certificate for the manual option (again, not familiar with EPA's regulation) so probably EPA just gave the middle finger to Stellantis and won't give them the certificate for the M6 option until they meet the criteria.

Just my 2 cents...

· Registered
A Van Down by the River
8,098 Posts
And there it is.... the week of the 27th as well :mad:
View attachment 580614
This will affect the Durango Hellcat too. Starting to look more and more like they will never reach 3000 produced as they had hoped. 2100 produced so far and the model year almost over.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
307 Posts
No, that's not correct. If the issue with the Manual Hellcat is related to their emissions certification from the EPA, then the "chip" shortage is not to be blamed for it. That TREMEC TR6060 requires no chip to best of my knowledge. Going back to the emissions certification that usually happens when a manufacturer (Stellantis) makes a modification to their engine Hardware/Software and/or there's a change on the regulation (more stringent emissions requirements) that any engine manufacturer needs to comply with. Typically a transmission on it's own doesn't emit emissions pollutants to the atmosphere on it's own and being honest with you I'm not familiar with the automotive EPA regulations (not sure if the certification is granted to the engine as a standalone component or if it is a combo of engine + transmission -highly doubt is the latter-).

From what I've been able to read from different sources in the Interweb is that more than likely it is tied in to the CAFE regulations (Thanks to the Woke OBAMA-BIDEN Admin...), meaning Stellantis can't meet the the overall fleet MPG requirements and the fact that the M6 option is less efficient than the A8 version, plus wouldn't be surprised if they are short and/or at the limit with their emissions certificate for the manual option (again, not familiar with EPA's regulation) so probably EPA just gave the middle finger to Stellantis and won't give them the certificate for the M6 option until they meet the criteria.

Just my 2 cents...
I'm wondering if the Hellcat Durango used up any of the emission "allocations" (not sure of the right wording - I was trying to think of it like RINS in the oil industry). So, with the HC Durango being a one-hit-wonder, does that mean the manual Hellcat Challengers might make it back for 2022? I know the TRX is still there, but is it realistic to think that the overall # of Hellcats is limited?

Does anybody know how the emission certification work?

· Registered
952 Posts
I'm wondering if the Hellcat Durango used up any of the emission "allocations" (not sure of the right wording - I was trying to think of it like RINS in the oil industry). So, with the HC Durango being a one-hit-wonder, does that mean the manual Hellcat Challengers might make it back for 2022? I know the TRX is still there, but is it realistic to think that the overall # of Hellcats is limited?

trucks are considered different - e.g. SUV and trucks don't pay the gas guzzler tax

· Registered
'23 Redeye Jailbreak
4,874 Posts
A dealership can lock in rebates at the time of an order, but I don't think they can lock in a rate at the time of order. At least that is what I was told by multiple dodge dealerships.
It's dealer specific. Legally, they aren't bound to the rebate as the factory is the one that determines the incentives paid out. If those incentives dry up, then dealers can't very well honor them.

Still, many dealers, including the one I bought from, "locked in" the price and financing. See this as more of a promise than law. When I ordered, Chrysler had a special financing deal, but due to production delays, it took me 5 months to get the car. By then, the Chrysler Capital deal had closed. Still, the dealership had promised me a rate. They worked with other lenders to get the same or better rate, and they did. They also honored the price they quoted when I ordered.

So while they can't lock in a rate and be held to it in a court of law, dealerships absolutely can make promises to deliver on terms agreed upon. It just sometimes takes more work to get the numbers to work. Granted, things like quoting a Power Dollars savings likely couldn't be help up to a promise if Dodge canceled those out from under the dealership. That's a LOT of money ($7170 in my case). Luckily, that promo was still on :)

· Registered
322 Posts

Again, I'm not pretending to tell anyone how exactly EPA's emission certificates applies to the Automotive industry, however, if it is similar in spirit to the Industrial non-road diesel engine machinery business then it is not a matter of quotas at all. As long as Stellantis in this case and any other Auto manufacturer builds and assemble an engine throughout the calendar year they are granted the emissions certificate, they are free to build as many as they can.

In my industry when we went from T4i to T4F emissions level, the last year of engine production before the transition happened we built thousands of engines and had them stored in our facilities, obviously those engine were built and awaiting to be installed on new machinery (now I guess my industry can afford doing that but maybe not so much the Auto industry?).

One thing is for sure, so long as they (Stellantis) build an engine and somehow connects that engine to it's emission system (see below) technically they can have stored hundreds and thousands of undercarriage pre assembled and then finish them on the next calendar year and still be able to be legally sold under current emissions regulations:

Font Art Pattern Symmetry Number

Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Number

· Registered
21 Camaro ZL1
1,503 Posts
Yeah the leading chip mfr's are trying to stand up new plants to meet demand, but its a two year process to get a plant build from start to production. This will likely be an issue through the end of 2022. Its not just cars, its everything. Anything that uses semiconductors. Im a PC nerd and build gaming PCs and graphics cards have went up in price 200%+ and more in some cases. Stock trickles in and is gobbled up by bots and scalpers just to be sold on ebay brand new for 3x retail which was already 2x msrp in most cases.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.